Does AMD sell a Athlon64 3200+ CPU with a 512KB level 2 cache?
I ordered one from Newegg and the order says it has a 512KB cache.
But every where I checked says it has 1MB cache
I ordered the retail one. The OEM is listed as having 1MB.
As far as I know the only difference is the warrantee and fan.

Jim M

Paul

Splendid

In article <A-idnUEV5-MlBFPdRVn-gw@comcast.com>, "JBM"
<jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does AMD sell a Athlon64 3200+ CPU with a 512KB level 2 cache?
> I ordered one from Newegg and the order says it has a 512KB cache.
> But every where I checked says it has 1MB cache
> I ordered the retail one. The OEM is listed as having 1MB.
> As far as I know the only difference is the warrantee and fan.
>
> Jim M

Shopping from the processor catagory web page and searching
for Athlon 64, I see these two:

Athlon 64 3200+ 512KB 2.2GHz Retail $282 ADA3200BOX
Athlon 64 3200+ 1MB 2.0GHz Retail $282 ADA3200AXBOX

I guess AMD is in the middle of a confusing transition. Best
to check with your vendor, to see if you are getting a processor
with more cache, or a processor that is better at driving DIMMs.
At least according to this thread...

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=1329045

HTH,
Paul

> In article <A-idnUEV5-MlBFPdRVn-gw@comcast.com>, "JBM"
> <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does AMD sell a Athlon64 3200+ CPU with a 512KB level 2 cache?
> > I ordered one from Newegg and the order says it has a 512KB cache.
> > But every where I checked says it has 1MB cache
> > I ordered the retail one. The OEM is listed as having 1MB.
> > As far as I know the only difference is the warrantee and fan.
> >
> > Jim M
>
> Shopping from the processor catagory web page and searching
> for Athlon 64, I see these two:
>
> Athlon 64 3200+ 512KB 2.2GHz Retail $282 ADA3200BOX
> Athlon 64 3200+ 1MB 2.0GHz Retail $282 ADA3200AXBOX
>
> I guess AMD is in the middle of a confusing transition. Best
> to check with your vendor, to see if you are getting a processor
> with more cache, or a processor that is better at driving DIMMs.
> At least according to this thread...
>
> http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=1329045
>
> HTH,
> Paul

The model newegg lists is the ADA3200AXBOX
According to the link you gave you have them reversed.
Looks like I ordered the 512KB cache model.
Guess I better call Newegg tomorrow.

Thanks
Jim M

Paul

Splendid

In article <BMqdnSDSu8_ZLlPd4p2dnA@comcast.com>, "JBM"
<jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > In article <A-idnUEV5-MlBFPdRVn-gw@comcast.com>, "JBM"
> > <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Does AMD sell a Athlon64 3200+ CPU with a 512KB level 2 cache?
> > > I ordered one from Newegg and the order says it has a 512KB cache.
> > > But every where I checked says it has 1MB cache
> > > I ordered the retail one. The OEM is listed as having 1MB.
> > > As far as I know the only difference is the warrantee and fan.
> > >
> > > Jim M
> >
> > Shopping from the processor catagory web page and searching
> > for Athlon 64, I see these two:
> >
> > Athlon 64 3200+ 512KB 2.2GHz Retail $282 ADA3200BOX
> > Athlon 64 3200+ 1MB 2.0GHz Retail $282 ADA3200AXBOX
> >
> > I guess AMD is in the middle of a confusing transition. Best
> > to check with your vendor, to see if you are getting a processor
> > with more cache, or a processor that is better at driving DIMMs.
> > At least according to this thread...
> >
> > http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=1329045
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul
>
> The model newegg lists is the ADA3200AXBOX
> According to the link you gave you have them reversed.
> Looks like I ordered the 512KB cache model.
> Guess I better call Newegg tomorrow.
>
> Thanks
> Jim M

Oops :) You're right, the 'BOX and 'AXBOX should be reversed.
It is confusing :) And I tried to look up and verify on the
AMD site, and they currently show only 512KB, as if the 1MB
never existed. I wish AMD had the equivalent of
processorfinder.intel.com

Paul

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

snip
> > > Does AMD sell a Athlon64 3200+ CPU with a 512KB level 2 cache?
snip
> > Athlon 64 3200+ 512KB 2.2GHz Retail $282 ADA3200BOX
> > Athlon 64 3200+ 1MB 2.0GHz Retail $282 ADA3200AXBOX
> >
> > I guess AMD is in the middle of a confusing transition. snip
> The model newegg lists is the ADA3200AXBOX
snip
> Guess I better call Newegg tomorrow.

AND they got 2 different CPU sockets

S 754 and S 940, so check what type

your motherboard is designed for

BjarneP

"Bjarnep" <bjarne.pedersen@-fjern-mail.dk> wrote in message

> "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> >
> snip
> snip
> > > Athlon 64 3200+ 512KB 2.2GHz Retail $282 ADA3200BOX
> > > Athlon 64 3200+ 1MB 2.0GHz Retail $282 ADA3200AXBOX
> > >
> > > I guess AMD is in the middle of a confusing transition. snip
> > The model newegg lists is the ADA3200AXBOX
> snip
> > Guess I better call Newegg tomorrow.
> >

> AND they got 2 different CPU sockets
>
> S 754 and S 940, so check what type
>
> your motherboard is designed for
>

> BjarneP

I got the right socket (754) just missed the cache.
Maybe I won't notice any difference if I don't run any benchmarks.

Jim M