Changing Boot drive assignment.

While setting up my new computer, WinXP Pro assigned my SATA drive as
"G" and it wasn't booting from it although XP was installed on it. I
now have it booting from the SATA and want to make it the "C". Neither
WinXP Disk Manager nor Partition Magic will allow a "Boot" drive
assignment change. Other than a clean install, is there a way to change
the boot drive assignment? I have changed all the other drives so they
are the way I want them.
Don't really want to do a clean boot.
And, as it always seems to be asked for, my system is:

WinXP Pro SE1
P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel Pentium 4 3GHz (Not overclocked yet!)
2 ea. Crucial 512MB Dimm (Dual Channel 1G)
Crucial ATI 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro Video
Plextor PX-708A DVD-RW (D)
Plextor PX-W1210A CD-RW (E)
Samsung DVD-ROM (F)
Maxtor 120G SATA (G)
WD 40G IDE (H)
Samsung 4G IDE (I) (Just because I could!)
Antec PLUSView100 case
Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt Power Supply
Five case fans

Can't wait until the next Half-Life comes out...
Thanks
Steve
17
answers
Last reply
More about changing boot drive assignment

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:39:01 -0700, rtrdtelco <rtrdtelco@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    >Other than a clean install, is there a way to change
    >the boot drive assignment?

    Yes, but it may not provide the result you want. Drive assignments (in
    NT) are made by entries in the registry, under:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

    For each drive you will see an entry like (this is my G drive)

    \\DosDevices\\G: REG_BINARY 53 ca 53 ca 00 cc 05 ab
    01 00 00 00

    Where the 53 ca 53 ca is a "signature" written in sector 0 of the hard
    drive, I think around byte 140 hex. The rest is the offset from the
    beginning of the drive in sectors (I think) and is big Endian as I
    recall. The first partition (regardless of letter assignment) will be
    at offset 7e.

    So, you could edit this entry and swap the settings for G and C. There
    is an excellent chance, however, that you will never boot from that
    partition again, if you screw up. I don't think you will be able to
    run any of the programs installed in that partition without extensive
    editing of the registry. It has been some time since I tried it.

    I did try doing this some time back and IIRC, gave up in defeat. There
    may, however, be some utilitiy floating around to do it. I would leave
    the letter assignment alone, what is the difference?

    Lou

    Unplug all drives other than boot drive and cd, repair install XP, add
    drives

    "rtrdtelco" <rtrdtelco@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > While setting up my new computer, WinXP Pro assigned my SATA drive as
    > "G" and it wasn't booting from it although XP was installed on it. I
    > now have it booting from the SATA and want to make it the "C". Neither
    > WinXP Disk Manager nor Partition Magic will allow a "Boot" drive
    > assignment change. Other than a clean install, is there a way to change
    > the boot drive assignment? I have changed all the other drives so they
    > are the way I want them.
    > Don't really want to do a clean boot.
    > And, as it always seems to be asked for, my system is:
    >
    > WinXP Pro SE1
    > P4C800-E Deluxe
    > Intel Pentium 4 3GHz (Not overclocked yet!)
    > 2 ea. Crucial 512MB Dimm (Dual Channel 1G)
    > Crucial ATI 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro Video
    > Plextor PX-708A DVD-RW (D)
    > Plextor PX-W1210A CD-RW (E)
    > Samsung DVD-ROM (F)
    > Maxtor 120G SATA (G)
    > WD 40G IDE (H)
    > Samsung 4G IDE (I) (Just because I could!)
    > Antec PLUSView100 case
    > Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt Power Supply
    > Five case fans
    >
    > Can't wait until the next Half-Life comes out...
    > Thanks
    > Steve

    Already been there and done that. I already did a repair-installed XP
    Pro to get SATA as boot drive. Still was "G".
    Thanks anyway

    "Lou" <dontspamlou@nospamlous-stuff.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:39:01 -0700, rtrdtelco <rtrdtelco@netscape.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Other than a clean install, is there a way to change
    > >the boot drive assignment?
    >
    > Yes, but it may not provide the result you want. Drive assignments (in
    > NT) are made by entries in the registry, under:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    >
    > For each drive you will see an entry like (this is my G drive)
    >
    > \\DosDevices\\G: REG_BINARY 53 ca 53 ca 00 cc 05 ab
    > 01 00 00 00
    >
    > Where the 53 ca 53 ca is a "signature" written in sector 0 of the hard
    > drive, I think around byte 140 hex. The rest is the offset from the
    > beginning of the drive in sectors (I think) and is big Endian as I
    > recall. The first partition (regardless of letter assignment) will be
    > at offset 7e.
    >
    > So, you could edit this entry and swap the settings for G and C. There
    > is an excellent chance, however, that you will never boot from that
    > partition again, if you screw up. I don't think you will be able to
    > run any of the programs installed in that partition without extensive
    > editing of the registry. It has been some time since I tried it.
    >
    > I did try doing this some time back and IIRC, gave up in defeat. There
    > may, however, be some utilitiy floating around to do it. I would leave
    > the letter assignment alone, what is the difference?
    >
    > Lou

    Actually the best thing to do is delete every drive listed there, and when
    you reboot it will add the drives in their order of appearance.

    See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188

    Lou's comments re: installed programs are quite valid and may result in the
    system being unusable for you.
    - Tim

    "Lou" <dontspamlou@nospamlous-stuff.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:39:01 -0700, rtrdtelco <rtrdtelco@netscape.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Other than a clean install, is there a way to change
    >>the boot drive assignment?
    >
    > Yes, but it may not provide the result you want. Drive assignments (in
    > NT) are made by entries in the registry, under:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    >
    > For each drive you will see an entry like (this is my G drive)
    >
    > \\DosDevices\\G: REG_BINARY 53 ca 53 ca 00 cc 05 ab
    > 01 00 00 00
    >
    > Where the 53 ca 53 ca is a "signature" written in sector 0 of the hard
    > drive, I think around byte 140 hex. The rest is the offset from the
    > beginning of the drive in sectors (I think) and is big Endian as I
    > recall. The first partition (regardless of letter assignment) will be
    > at offset 7e.
    >
    > So, you could edit this entry and swap the settings for G and C. There
    > is an excellent chance, however, that you will never boot from that
    > partition again, if you screw up. I don't think you will be able to
    > run any of the programs installed in that partition without extensive
    > editing of the registry. It has been some time since I tried it.
    >
    > I did try doing this some time back and IIRC, gave up in defeat. There
    > may, however, be some utilitiy floating around to do it. I would leave
    > the letter assignment alone, what is the difference?
    >
    > Lou

    Lee, thanks, Tim I agree with you. I don't think that this is something
    that I want or really need to do. If it is going to be that difficult,
    I think that I will wait until I have to a format on that drive and then
    reinstall the OS. Hopefully it will then become "C". Then again, maybe
    I will never need to reformat it. I can always hope so, Hmmm?
    Thanks again for the replies.
    Steve

    Tim wrote:

    > See
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188
    >
    > Lou's comments re: installed programs are quite valid and may result in the
    > system being unusable for you.
    > - Tim
    >
    > "Lou" <dontspamlou@nospamlous-stuff.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:39:01 -0700, rtrdtelco <rtrdtelco@netscape.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>Other than a clean install, is there a way to change
    >>>the boot drive assignment?
    >>
    >>Yes, but it may not provide the result you want. Drive assignments (in
    >>NT) are made by entries in the registry, under:
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    >>
    >>For each drive you will see an entry like (this is my G drive)
    >>
    >>\\DosDevices\\G: REG_BINARY 53 ca 53 ca 00 cc 05 ab
    >>01 00 00 00
    >>
    >>Where the 53 ca 53 ca is a "signature" written in sector 0 of the hard
    >>drive, I think around byte 140 hex. The rest is the offset from the
    >>beginning of the drive in sectors (I think) and is big Endian as I
    >>recall. The first partition (regardless of letter assignment) will be
    >>at offset 7e.
    >>
    >>So, you could edit this entry and swap the settings for G and C. There
    >>is an excellent chance, however, that you will never boot from that
    >>partition again, if you screw up. I don't think you will be able to
    >>run any of the programs installed in that partition without extensive
    >>editing of the registry. It has been some time since I tried it.
    >>
    >>I did try doing this some time back and IIRC, gave up in defeat. There
    >>may, however, be some utilitiy floating around to do it. I would leave
    >>the letter assignment alone, what is the difference?
    >>
    >>Lou

    But were yr other drives disconnected?

    > Already been there and done that. I already did a repair-installed XP
    > Pro to get SATA as boot drive. Still was "G".
    > Thanks anyway
    >
    > D wrote:
    > > Unplug all drives other than boot drive and cd, repair install XP, add
    > > drives
    > >
    > > "rtrdtelco" <rtrdtelco@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>While setting up my new computer, WinXP Pro assigned my SATA drive as
    > >>"G" and it wasn't booting from it although XP was installed on it. I
    > >>now have it booting from the SATA and want to make it the "C". Neither
    > >>WinXP Disk Manager nor Partition Magic will allow a "Boot" drive
    > >>assignment change. Other than a clean install, is there a way to change
    > >>the boot drive assignment? I have changed all the other drives so they
    > >>are the way I want them.
    > >>Don't really want to do a clean boot.
    > >>And, as it always seems to be asked for, my system is:
    > >>
    > >>WinXP Pro SE1
    > >>P4C800-E Deluxe
    > >>Intel Pentium 4 3GHz (Not overclocked yet!)
    > >>2 ea. Crucial 512MB Dimm (Dual Channel 1G)
    > >>Crucial ATI 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro Video
    > >>Plextor PX-708A DVD-RW (D)
    > >>Plextor PX-W1210A CD-RW (E)
    > >>Samsung DVD-ROM (F)
    > >>Maxtor 120G SATA (G)
    > >>WD 40G IDE (H)
    > >>Samsung 4G IDE (I) (Just because I could!)
    > >>Antec PLUSView100 case
    > >>Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt Power Supply
    > >>Five case fans
    > >>
    > >>Can't wait until the next Half-Life comes out...
    > >>Thanks
    > >>Steve

    I'm about to try what you're trying to do. I have just installed a sata
    drive and copied C: over to it now I want to delete old C: and make what is
    labeled I: into C: I've been checking the knowledge base at Microsoft and
    other than the caution there doesn't seem to be any reason to me why
    swapping drive letters can't be done as long as they contain MBRs. The SATA
    drive I have is a Seagate which provides a copy program but not much info on
    how to swap drive letters.

    If I don't blow myself away when I try it I'll let you know what happened.

    "rtrdtelco" <rtrdtelco@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > While setting up my new computer, WinXP Pro assigned my SATA drive as
    > "G" and it wasn't booting from it although XP was installed on it. I
    > now have it booting from the SATA and want to make it the "C". Neither
    > WinXP Disk Manager nor Partition Magic will allow a "Boot" drive
    > assignment change. Other than a clean install, is there a way to change
    > the boot drive assignment? I have changed all the other drives so they
    > are the way I want them.
    > Don't really want to do a clean boot.
    > And, as it always seems to be asked for, my system is:
    >
    > WinXP Pro SE1
    > P4C800-E Deluxe
    > Intel Pentium 4 3GHz (Not overclocked yet!)
    > 2 ea. Crucial 512MB Dimm (Dual Channel 1G)
    > Crucial ATI 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro Video
    > Plextor PX-708A DVD-RW (D)
    > Plextor PX-W1210A CD-RW (E)
    > Samsung DVD-ROM (F)
    > Maxtor 120G SATA (G)
    > WD 40G IDE (H)
    > Samsung 4G IDE (I) (Just because I could!)
    > Antec PLUSView100 case
    > Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt Power Supply
    > Five case fans
    >
    > Can't wait until the next Half-Life comes out...
    > Thanks
    > Steve

    Yes

    "notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
    > I'm about to try what you're trying to do. I have just installed a sata
    > drive and copied C: over to it now I want to delete old C: and make what
    is
    > labeled I: into C: I've been checking the knowledge base at Microsoft and
    > other than the caution there doesn't seem to be any reason to me why
    > swapping drive letters can't be done as long as they contain MBRs. The
    SATA
    > drive I have is a Seagate which provides a copy program but not much info
    on
    > how to swap drive letters.
    >
    > If I don't blow myself away when I try it I'll let you know what happened.

    Windows stinks for this..
    You cant change it to C if something else is using C
    I dont know how pc's list thing (in order of IDE then SATA or SATA then
    IDE)..
    but if you really wanted to do it
    delete everything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    leave that feild there, just delete all of the data inside of it
    turn pc off
    remove the drives your wanting to get rid of for one..
    then remove everything off of the standard IDE ports (I would just disable
    in bios to avoid opening the case)
    reboot the system and then it will rebuild that file and all the drive
    letters will be newley assign'd
    if your using something like alcohol 120% or ANYTHING that has mounted a
    drive then DEMOUNT them first
    and writable CD drives and stuff dont like the letters being changed!!!

    As for how do I know deleting everything in there working

    I did it!
    I backed up my reg before I did it, then I done it.. it worked fine for me..
    and IF your saying it might be easier to just reformat to fix your problems
    then I think you should really try what I am suggesting as it really takes
    you less than 5 mins

    rstlne wrote:

    > "notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm about to try what you're trying to do. I have just installed a sata
    >>drive and copied C: over to it now I want to delete old C: and make what
    >
    > is
    >
    >>labeled I: into C: I've been checking the knowledge base at Microsoft and
    >>other than the caution there doesn't seem to be any reason to me why
    >>swapping drive letters can't be done as long as they contain MBRs. The
    >
    > SATA
    >
    >>drive I have is a Seagate which provides a copy program but not much info
    >
    > on
    >
    >>how to swap drive letters.
    >>
    >>If I don't blow myself away when I try it I'll let you know what happened.
    >>

    > Windows stinks for this..
    > You cant change it to C if something else is using C
    > I dont know how pc's list thing (in order of IDE then SATA or SATA then
    > IDE)..
    > but if you really wanted to do it
    > delete everything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    > leave that feild there, just delete all of the data inside of it
    > turn pc off
    > remove the drives your wanting to get rid of for one..
    > then remove everything off of the standard IDE ports (I would just disable
    > in bios to avoid opening the case)
    > reboot the system and then it will rebuild that file and all the drive
    > letters will be newley assign'd
    > ..
    > if your using something like alcohol 120% or ANYTHING that has mounted a
    > drive then DEMOUNT them first
    > and writable CD drives and stuff dont like the letters being changed!!!
    >

    > As for how do I know deleting everything in there working
    >
    > I did it!
    > I backed up my reg before I did it, then I done it.. it worked fine for me..
    > and IF your saying it might be easier to just reformat to fix your problems
    > then I think you should really try what I am suggesting as it really takes
    > you less than 5 mins

    Going out of town for awhile. Will take a look at this when I return
    Thanks for all the info.
    Steve

    I had the same problem. When I installed, the boot drive was assigned drive
    "H".
    What I did was change the drive that was assigned to "C" to another letter.
    Then I made a small batch file that runs the subst cmd. It looks like this:

    subst c: h:\

    Then added a shortcut to this batch file (actually a .cmd file) to my
    Startup folder. Reboot.

    You still have your boot drive assigned but now the "C" drive is mapped
    to the boot drive. So you have a boot drive at "C" also (actually a mirror
    of the other one).

    There are still some programs that require the files to be written to the
    "C"
    drive upon installation. This allows you to do that.

    > rstlne wrote:
    >
    > > "notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I'm about to try what you're trying to do. I have just installed a sata
    > >>drive and copied C: over to it now I want to delete old C: and make what
    > >
    > > is
    > >
    > >>labeled I: into C: I've been checking the knowledge base at Microsoft
    and
    > >>other than the caution there doesn't seem to be any reason to me why
    > >>swapping drive letters can't be done as long as they contain MBRs. The
    > >
    > > SATA
    > >
    > >>drive I have is a Seagate which provides a copy program but not much
    info

    > > on
    > >
    > >>how to swap drive letters.
    > >>
    > >>If I don't blow myself away when I try it I'll let you know what
    happened.

    > > Windows stinks for this..
    > > You cant change it to C if something else is using C
    > > I dont know how pc's list thing (in order of IDE then SATA or SATA then
    > > IDE)..
    > > but if you really wanted to do it
    > > delete everything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    > > leave that feild there, just delete all of the data inside of it
    > > turn pc off
    > > remove the drives your wanting to get rid of for one..
    > > then remove everything off of the standard IDE ports (I would just
    disable
    > > in bios to avoid opening the case)
    > > reboot the system and then it will rebuild that file and all the drive
    > > letters will be newley assign'd
    > > ..
    > > if your using something like alcohol 120% or ANYTHING that has mounted a
    > > drive then DEMOUNT them first
    > > and writable CD drives and stuff dont like the letters being changed!!!
    > >

    > > As for how do I know deleting everything in there working
    > >
    > > I did it!
    > > I backed up my reg before I did it, then I done it.. it worked fine for
    me..
    > > and IF your saying it might be easier to just reformat to fix your
    problems
    > > then I think you should really try what I am suggesting as it really
    takes
    > > you less than 5 mins
    > >

    > Going out of town for awhile. Will take a look at this when I return
    > Thanks for all the info.
    > Steve

    The fastest way I've found to change from a PATA boot drive to a SATA
    boot, or any other combo is to use an older Microsoft program called
    MS-DOS! Using a DOS level floppy boot disk along with Norton Ghost you
    can clone the drive, (Ghost will recognize the SATA drive without any
    additional drivers) while retaining Drive letter integrity. After the
    clone remove the old C:\ drive before booting up Windows and set the new
    drive as first boot device in BIOS, it will be C:\. Once you've
    verified the new drive is working correctly you might fdisk/format the
    old drive. Some drive manufacturers have software on their web sites to
    do this also, but Windows would be my last choice for this, based on my
    trials (or should I say errors!)
    Rob

    "Rob" <robc@insightbb.spambone.com> wrote in message
    > The fastest way I've found to change from a PATA boot drive to a SATA
    > boot, or any other combo is to use an older Microsoft program called
    > MS-DOS! Using a DOS level floppy boot disk along with Norton Ghost you
    > can clone the drive, (Ghost will recognize the SATA drive without any
    > additional drivers) while retaining Drive letter integrity. After the
    > clone remove the old C:\ drive before booting up Windows and set the new
    > drive as first boot device in BIOS, it will be C:\. Once you've
    > verified the new drive is working correctly you might fdisk/format the
    > old drive. Some drive manufacturers have software on their web sites to
    > do this also, but Windows would be my last choice for this, based on my
    > trials (or should I say errors!)
    > Rob

    Doing this with XP/2000 or above would not work well.
    the OS Taggs the drive in the MBR and that's how it knows what drive goes to
    what letter.
    you might have problems (all the op has to do is delete the reg keys and
    reboot, and it will fix itself)
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    which reg keys?

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

    > "Rob" <robc@insightbb.spambone.com> wrote in message
    > > The fastest way I've found to change from a PATA boot drive to a SATA
    > > boot, or any other combo is to use an older Microsoft program called
    > > MS-DOS! Using a DOS level floppy boot disk along with Norton Ghost you
    > > can clone the drive, (Ghost will recognize the SATA drive without any
    > > additional drivers) while retaining Drive letter integrity. After the
    > > clone remove the old C:\ drive before booting up Windows and set the new
    > > drive as first boot device in BIOS, it will be C:\. Once you've
    > > verified the new drive is working correctly you might fdisk/format the
    > > old drive. Some drive manufacturers have software on their web sites to
    > > do this also, but Windows would be my last choice for this, based on my
    > > trials (or should I say errors!)
    > > Rob
    > >

    > Doing this with XP/2000 or above would not work well.
    > the OS Taggs the drive in the MBR and that's how it knows what drive goes
    > what letter.
    > you might have problems (all the op has to do is delete the reg keys and
    > reboot, and it will fix itself)

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > which reg keys?

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    thanks.
    > "notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
    > > which reg keys?
    > >

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

Asus Boot Motherboards