P4C800Deluxe RAID confusion

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

Hi,

I have just bought 2 new samsung SATA drives to rebuild my system with RAID.

But i am a bit confused as to which driver to install during the initial XP
setup (at the F6 prompt).

The latest one on ASUS' website 378raid_100137 is my guess.

I will be installing the 2 samsung drives to the SATA RAID 1 & 2 sockets,
and also a single SATA drive to SATA 1 (tho of course this wont be part of
the RAID). therefore do I also need to install any other drivers for this to
work

I thought I had this sorted but now i am confused!!

Help gratefully appreciated

Colin

378raid_100137 is the correct driver. You only have to use F6
if your installing windows to the RAID array. Setup will install
the boot files to the single SATA drive. you can install your other
drivers after windows is installed.

Jim M

"Colin" <colin@NOtownshendSPAM.org.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just bought 2 new samsung SATA drives to rebuild my system with
RAID.

> But i am a bit confused as to which driver to install during the initial
XP
> setup (at the F6 prompt).
>
> The latest one on ASUS' website 378raid_100137 is my guess.
>
> I will be installing the 2 samsung drives to the SATA RAID 1 & 2 sockets,
> and also a single SATA drive to SATA 1 (tho of course this wont be part of
> the RAID). therefore do I also need to install any other drivers for this
> work
>
> I thought I had this sorted but now i am confused!!
>
> Help gratefully appreciated
>
> Colin

Tim

Colin,

As per JBM's comments...

IF the raid array is to be your XP system disc, then I would avoid having
setup place the boot files on the non raid disc as this will create a weak
point in your boot configuration IE lose that one sata drive and you will
not be able to boot. Not a huge problem.

So during XP installation, just to be sure I would have only the RAID drives
installed - remove all others including Smart Media readers and so on,
create the raid array and complete the XP install with the correct drivers.
I would also use in preference the Intel ICH5R controller for placement of
the RAID array as you will get better long term performance. If you wish to
move the raid array to a non Intel RAID controller at a later date then you
might have a minor issue and this is where the other raid controller may be
a better choice (there should be no issues in moving a disc from a RAID 1 -
mirror - config).

- Tim

"Colin" <colin@NOtownshendSPAM.org.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just bought 2 new samsung SATA drives to rebuild my system with
> RAID.
>
> But i am a bit confused as to which driver to install during the initial
> XP setup (at the F6 prompt).
>
> The latest one on ASUS' website 378raid_100137 is my guess.
>
> I will be installing the 2 samsung drives to the SATA RAID 1 & 2 sockets,
> and also a single SATA drive to SATA 1 (tho of course this wont be part of
> the RAID). therefore do I also need to install any other drivers for this
> to work
>
> I thought I had this sorted but now i am confused!!
>
> Help gratefully appreciated
>
> Colin

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

I would prefer to use the Intel ICH5 controller for raidbut I have the
P4C800 Deluxe which doesnt support RAID on this controller, E Deluxe version
has this feature. Never mind

Colin

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:cansql$46t$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Colin,
>
> As per JBM's comments...
>
> IF the raid array is to be your XP system disc, then I would avoid having
> setup place the boot files on the non raid disc as this will create a weak
> point in your boot configuration IE lose that one sata drive and you will
> not be able to boot. Not a huge problem.
>
> So during XP installation, just to be sure I would have only the RAID
> drives installed - remove all others including Smart Media readers and so
> on, create the raid array and complete the XP install with the correct
> drivers. I would also use in preference the Intel ICH5R controller for
> placement of the RAID array as you will get better long term performance.
> If you wish to move the raid array to a non Intel RAID controller at a
> later date then you might have a minor issue and this is where the other
> raid controller may be a better choice (there should be no issues in
> moving a disc from a RAID 1 - mirror - config).
>
> - Tim
>

> "Colin" <colin@NOtownshendSPAM.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just bought 2 new samsung SATA drives to rebuild my system with
>> RAID.
>>
>> But i am a bit confused as to which driver to install during the initial
>> XP setup (at the F6 prompt).
>>
>> The latest one on ASUS' website 378raid_100137 is my guess.
>>
>> I will be installing the 2 samsung drives to the SATA RAID 1 & 2 sockets,
>> and also a single SATA drive to SATA 1 (tho of course this wont be part
>> of the RAID). therefore do I also need to install any other drivers for
>> this to work
>>
>> I thought I had this sorted but now i am confused!!
>>
>> Help gratefully appreciated
>>
>> Colin

TRENDING THREADS