I've been trying to get my P4P800-E to detect the IDE hard drive in my
system. My two CD-ROM drives are detected fine, but the HDD doesn't
show up no matter what I do. I checked the jumpers, swapped cables,
switched from primary to secondary IDE, scoured BIOS for a setting
that would help, still nothing. I've taken hard drives out of
computers in which they worked fine, to have them not detected my this
BIOS. Anybody have any help, cause this is killing me!

khajja@crosswinds.net

TK

Check your boot configuration in the bios.

"Khajja" <khajja@crosswinds.net> wrote in message
> I've been trying to get my P4P800-E to detect the IDE hard drive in my
> system. My two CD-ROM drives are detected fine, but the HDD doesn't
> show up no matter what I do. I checked the jumpers, swapped cables,
> switched from primary to secondary IDE, scoured BIOS for a setting
> that would help, still nothing. I've taken hard drives out of
> computers in which they worked fine, to have them not detected my this
> BIOS. Anybody have any help, cause this is killing me!
>
> khajja@crosswinds.net

mc

Do they have power? Are they spinning up ok?
Double check the IDE channels are enabled in the BIOS

"Khajja" <khajja@crosswinds.net> wrote in message
> I've been trying to get my P4P800-E to detect the IDE hard drive in my
> system. My two CD-ROM drives are detected fine, but the HDD doesn't
> show up no matter what I do. I checked the jumpers, swapped cables,
> switched from primary to secondary IDE, scoured BIOS for a setting
> that would help, still nothing. I've taken hard drives out of
> computers in which they worked fine, to have them not detected my this
> BIOS. Anybody have any help, cause this is killing me!
>
> khajja@crosswinds.net

The hard drive is getting power, and it sounds like it is spinning up.
I know the IDE controller works because it recognizes the CD drives,
and tech support tells me that if it failed, both primary and
secondary IDE would go out. Not sure what you mean by boot
configuration. I can't select a hard drive in the boot sequence,
because it doesn't recognize that one is connected.

"tk" <tk@home.com> wrote in message news:<40d05477$1_1@127.0.0.1>...
> Check your boot configuration in the bios.
>
> "Khajja" <khajja@crosswinds.net> wrote in message
> > I've been trying to get my P4P800-E to detect the IDE hard drive in my
> > system. My two CD-ROM drives are detected fine, but the HDD doesn't
> > show up no matter what I do. I checked the jumpers, swapped cables,
> > switched from primary to secondary IDE, scoured BIOS for a setting
> > that would help, still nothing. I've taken hard drives out of
> > computers in which they worked fine, to have them not detected my this
> > BIOS. Anybody have any help, cause this is killing me!
> >
> > khajja@crosswinds.net

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Paul

Splendid

In article <7d20d2fd.0406161256.12ea2f18@posting.google.com>,
khajja@crosswinds.net (Khajja) wrote:

> The hard drive is getting power, and it sounds like it is spinning up.
> I know the IDE controller works because it recognizes the CD drives,
> and tech support tells me that if it failed, both primary and
> secondary IDE would go out. Not sure what you mean by boot
> configuration. I can't select a hard drive in the boot sequence,
> because it doesn't recognize that one is connected.

Have you read the manual about the "IDE Operate Mode". There
are two PATA connectors on the motherboard, driven by the
Southbridge. The two PATA connectors can take four devices.
There are also two SATA connectors on the Intel Southbridge,
and these can be operated in RAID or non-RAID mode, if the
Southbridge is a ICH5R.

Now, for legacy MS OSes, the OS is hardwired for specific I/O
addresses and IRQs for the primary and secondary PATA interfaces.
What Intel did, was provide an option, where, for a legacy OS,
any two pair of the three possible pair of disks, can be mapped
to the fixed locations that a legacy OS expects. That means, for
example, if you have Win98SE, you could have two disks on Primary
PATA and two disks on SATA, and when the OS sees them, it thinks
there are four disks on two PATA interfaces. The Secondary PATA
simply cannot be see by the OS, in that legacy mode. It is not
mapped to anything Win98SE can understand. The remapping in the
Southbridge fixes up the other four disks. That is how the
"SATA driver" problem is solved for an old OS like Win98SE.

When you use an OS like Win2K or WinXP, then all six disks on the
Southbridge can be used at the same time. This requires the
"Enhanced" setting, as shown below. The six disks are mapped in
this case to appear on the PCI bus, and are enumerated differently
than they would be in Win98SE. Since all six disks are available,
the "Enhanced Mode Support" is kind of a bogus selector (i.e. we're
no longer selecting four of six disks, as all six can be used). The
setting should be set to S-ATA, even if you don't have or plan to
use S-ATA drives. Setting "Enhanced Mode Support" to anything else,
while in Enhanced mode, generally results in slow disk performance,
but I've never hear of your symptoms (disappearing disks) in
Enhanced mode before.

Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Enhanced] <--- Main:Ide Configuration
Enhanced Mode Support on [S-ATA]
Configure S-ATA as RAID [No]

The above settings are suitable for six disks, in a no-RAID config,
connected to the Southbridge. You can still use whatever Promise
controller is on the board independent of this issue.

HTH,
Paul

News==----
> > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>100,000 Newsgroups
> > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
Encryption =---

TK

"Khajja" <khajja@crosswinds.net> wrote in message
> I've been trying to get my P4P800-E to detect the IDE hard drive in my
> system. My two CD-ROM drives are detected fine, but the HDD doesn't
> show up no matter what I do. I checked the jumpers, swapped cables,
> switched from primary to secondary IDE, scoured BIOS for a setting
> that would help, still nothing. I've taken hard drives out of
> computers in which they worked fine, to have them not detected my this
> BIOS. Anybody have any help, cause this is killing me!

I know I've mentioned this a couple of times today already . . .. but it
wouldn't happen to be a Seagate drive would it?

Try slaving the drive on one of the channels (check the jumpers!) and see if
you can see the drive that way.

TK

TRENDING THREADS