Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why didn't I have to install any Windows 7 drivers?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 28, 2009 11:55:49 PM

Ok, let me start by saying I'm not real knowledgable when it comes to drivers. I loaded a fresh install of Win 7 Home Premium on a brand new, never been loaded on, VelociRaptor. I loaded Windows 7, and I haven't had to install a single driver. When I loaded XP 64-bit, I had to go out and find a specific driver for my wireless card. With this one it worked right away without a driver. The graphics looked fine when last time I had to install an nVidia driver before they looked right. I downloaded the nVidia drivers anyway, but that's all I've downloaded so far.

How come everything works when I haven't loaded any drivers? I was worried about finding LAN, Chipset, USB, SATA, etc. etc. drivers for my Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and Win 7 64-bit, but I guess I don't have to? I'm asking to make sure this won't cause any problems down the road. Everything appears to be working, but with a brand new OS on a brand new HDD I don't know what normal is.

What drivers should I have to install?
October 29, 2009 12:13:41 AM

If your Device Manager hasn't got any yellow question marks beside any of th items, then you don't need to install any extra drivers. Windows 7 came with a bunch of drivers already prepackaged.
m
l
October 29, 2009 12:49:19 AM

Would still reccomend installing the latest drivers for your motherboard, sound,ethernet and vga card.
Always run faster and give you more options to tweak
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 29, 2009 1:03:42 AM

plasmastorm said:
Would still reccomend installing the latest drivers for your motherboard, sound,ethernet and vga card.
Always run faster and give you more options to tweak

This is still a necessity after a fresh install, but Microsoft prepackaged a LOT of drivers into Windows 7 so that when the OS was finished installing, you would at least on a basic level, be able to use all of the hardware installed.
October 29, 2009 3:15:06 AM

I wish I could make that claim. My printer, an hp laserjet 1020 has no drivers, and vista's drivers do NOT WORK. I know, because I tried several times.

Also, an old tv card I had installed is lifeless complete with the yellow mark in device manager.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 29, 2009 3:26:46 AM

I said a lot of drivers, not every driver.
m
l
October 29, 2009 2:55:22 PM

On initial install, everything worked great for me, too... but after doubling my system memory, running a windows update, and installing the most recent drivers for my graphics card, my graphics is all messed up... works, but not clean and crisp as it initially was, and won't let me make my resolution as high as it used to. Tried system restore, but to no avail. Weird.
m
l
October 29, 2009 4:27:56 PM

Maybe you should roll back the driver to a previous version.
m
l
!