Help, my Maxtor kills data

eddie

Please, help me soon, I bought a new Maxtor 160 GB /8MB
cache/, I have reinstalled WIN XP /first edition/,
everything seemed OK- for few weeks, suddenly crash,
restart, and random data loss, I had to reinstall all, but
the problem is still here: when my disk becomes full /25-
45 Mbytes free/ it crashes again! On two different
computers!
I tried reformatting with 80/80 GB volumes, but no effect.
I have now this machine: ASUS A7n8X-X MB, 512MB RAM
Apacer, Athlon 2500 XP, before I had ASUS a7m266/1900 XP.
All Maxtor diagnostic SW says: all Ok.
I have installed the newest SW and BIOS /v9/.

Please, help, or the disk will land on somebody´s head!!!

Eduard

Eddie wrote:
> Please, help me soon, I bought a new Maxtor 160 GB /8MB
> cache/, I have reinstalled WIN XP /first edition/,
> everything seemed OK- for few weeks, suddenly crash,
> restart, and random data loss, I had to reinstall all, but
> the problem is still here: when my disk becomes full /25-
> 45 Mbytes free/ it crashes again! On two different
> computers!
> I tried reformatting with 80/80 GB volumes, but no effect.
> I have now this machine: ASUS A7n8X-X MB, 512MB RAM
> Apacer, Athlon 2500 XP, before I had ASUS a7m266/1900 XP.
> All Maxtor diagnostic SW says: all Ok.
> I have installed the newest SW and BIOS /v9/.
>

> Please, help, or the disk will land on somebody´s head!!!
>
> Eduard

1) There is no such thing as XP First Edition - just as there's no such
thing as XP Second Edition. The later release has SP1 already included, but
it isn't to be regarded as a 'second edition'.

2) You should have done your homework before purchasing that drive.
Maxtors are notorious for failing - and yours, obviously, is.

By the way, this is OT here. This group is for people having problems
installing devices under XP or for compatibility issues.

By the way, what on earth are you filling a 160GB drive with?! I have one
and it's only 40% full.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
> Eddie wrote:
> > Please, help me soon, I bought a new Maxtor 160 GB /8MB
> > cache/, I have reinstalled WIN XP /first edition/,
> > everything seemed OK- for few weeks, suddenly crash,
> > restart, and random data loss, I had to reinstall all, but
> > the problem is still here: when my disk becomes full /25-
> > 45 Mbytes free/ it crashes again! On two different
> > computers!
> > I tried reformatting with 80/80 GB volumes, but no effect.
> > I have now this machine: ASUS A7n8X-X MB, 512MB RAM
> > Apacer, Athlon 2500 XP, before I had ASUS a7m266/1900 XP.
> > All Maxtor diagnostic SW says: all Ok.
> > I have installed the newest SW and BIOS /v9/.
> >

> > Please, help, or the disk will land on somebody´s head!!!
> >
> > Eduard
>
> 1) There is no such thing as XP First Edition - just as there's no such
> thing as XP Second Edition. The later release has SP1 already included,
but
> it isn't to be regarded as a 'second edition'.
>
> 2) You should have done your homework before purchasing that drive.
> Maxtors are notorious for failing - and yours, obviously, is.

Wrong! Maxtors work just fine, if installed in the correect running
enviroments. Just because you have an inability to use them, doesn't mean
they don't function properly. Of course, since you're you lacking any
logic, I will point out that if your statement were true, and as long as
Maxtor has been around, one would think that such validity would mean they
would no longer be in business, or producing hard drives!!

> By the way, this is OT here. This group is for people having problems
> installing devices under XP or for compatibility issues.

No, not true, hard drives are hardware, and this is a hardware NG, hence the
query is pertinent! Only you feel what should be posted to groups in
particular! Fortunately, for the rest of the world, things don't revolve
around your overly bloated state of mind, and especially your being.

> By the way, what on earth are you filling a 160GB drive with?! I have one
> and it's only 40% full.

What does it matter to you anyway? And what question does this have to do
with hardware issues, oh pedantic one? This person didn't ask you what you
have, and what usage you have of it, so you are way off topic! Are you the
only one that has a valid use for large hard drives?

Why don't you get a job?

A 160 GB drive with 25-45 MB free is 99% full. No wonder it
is crashing, without free space at least equal to the system
RAM, there are data transfer bottlenecks that will cause the
system to crash and loss data.
Do a disk clean up, reduce the size of the system restore
file, it defaults to a percentage that is wasting space.
Copy data to CD-R. You need at least 15% free space in
order to run defrag.

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> [...]
|
| No, not true, hard drives are hardware, and this is a
hardware NG, hence the
| query is pertinent! Only you feel what should be posted to
groups in
| particular! Fortunately, for the rest of the world, things
don't revolve
| around your overly bloated state of mind, and especially
your being.

| > By the way, what on earth are you filling a 160GB drive
with?! I have one
| > and it's only 40% full.
|
| What does it matter to you anyway? And what question does
this have to do
| with hardware issues, oh pedantic one? This person didn't
ask you what you
| have, and what usage you have of it, so you are way off
topic! Are you the
| only one that has a valid use for large hard drives?

1000 points for Jim !

OK children, settle down, drink a beer and . . . relax

Did you install the latest M/B drivers, "including" the IDE driver? You
should. That will likely solve your problem.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)