Way High Serial Port Numbers

I frequently install and remove modems and multi-port I/O cards in my XP Pro
system. The Comm port numbers grow, and now my modem is Comm 14. My
software doesn't work with that high of a port number. I have removed all
hardware and re-booted, but when re-installed the modem is still Comm 14.

Is there a way to reset the port number to like 3 or 4?

Thanks for Help
Tom Salicos

Tom S. Lee said in news:unsIyFOPEHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
> I frequently install and remove modems and multi-port I/O cards in my
> XP Pro system. The Comm port numbers grow, and now my modem is Comm
> 14. My software doesn't work with that high of a port number. I
> have removed all hardware and re-booted, but when re-installed the
> modem is still Comm 14.
>
> Is there a way to reset the port number to like 3 or 4?
>
> Thanks for Help
> Tom Salicos

My guess is that you either still have the enumeration for that device
in the registry, that you still have the .inf file around for the
removed modem, or both. I know that I have run into problems with PCI
modems whose uninstall does not remove the enumeration listed in the
registry so a subsequent install gets screwed up. For example, the
enumeration in my current system for my PCI modem is under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_10B4&S
UBSYS_9300141D&REV_89\4&3b1d9ab8&0&4840

Under there is a value name of "ClassGUID" (global <something>
identifier). I then did a search on the classGUID and found it under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet<xxx>\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-1
1CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

where xxx = null, "001", or "002". Way too many settings under that key
to bother checking now. The subkey under Enum\PCI and this classGUID
key would be the ones that I would try deleting ... obviously after
first exporting them to permit recovery.

So look under the Enum\PCI key for VEN... subkeys to see which might be
for old and non-existent modems. I'd also go hunting in the
\Windows\INF subdirectory for any modem-specific .inf files to move them
out so on startup Windows won't reuse it (if you are reinstalling the
same or similar modem and want to enforce Windows to ask for new
drivers/definitions instead of trying to reuse the ones already there).
Sometimes the .inf file defines several modems but if it is a
vendor-supplied INF file then you can delete it (by moving it elsewhere)
after removing the modem since an install of modem even by the same
vendor should install the INF file. However, some modems are so generic
that they use the INF file(s) provided by Windows which can cover more
than one brand and model, so don't delete that INF file. You could
always ask the modem maker if they provided their own INF file so you
know which one to delete.

I haven't had to do this for over a year so this is from memory. As
always, when monkeying around with the registry then make a backup of it
or, at least, the keys you will edit or delete.

Description of the Information in the Subkeys Under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Branch of the Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250405

An Inf Error Occurs During Installation of a Network Adapter on a
Windows 2000-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306983

According to this last article, you delete the subkey and not the VEN
key. Don't know why you would need the VEN key since that is supposed
to identify the vendor of the device and obviously the registry isn't
going to have a VEN key for every vendor that existed, exists, or will
exist. But then this article is geared towards a repair rather than to
eradicate irrelevant definitions.

However, the above discussion regards the eradication of defunct PCI
device definitions. It is entirely possible that the ports are defined
separately (and then bound to these devices). For example, my PCI modem
got assigned to COM3 (doesn't physically exist so this is a logical
definition) and I found it under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3

But I also found all the ports under Windows defined at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Ports

The binding of COM3 to my modem was found at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{adb44
c00-1b8d-11d4-8d5e-00a0c90d1c42}\##?#PCI#VEN_14F1&DEV_10B4&SUBSYS_930014
1D&REV_89#4&3b1d9ab8&0&4840#{adb44c00-1b8d-11d4-8d5e-00a0c90d1c42}\#COM3

where the ...VEN... key has the same name as the VEN key back under the
Enum\PCI key.

Lost yet?

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Hello,
You should just be able to change the com port number in Device Manager.
Locate the com port go to properties,
Choose port settings
Advanced Tab.
There should be a box to set the com port.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
> [...]
>got assigned to COM3 (doesn't physically exist so this is a logical
>definition) and I found it under:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3
>
>But I also found all the ports under Windows defined at:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Ports
>
>The binding of COM3 to my modem was found at:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{adb44
>c00-1b8d-11d4-8d5e-00a0c90d1c42}\##?#PCI#VEN_14F1&DEV_10B4&SUBSYS_930014
>1D&REV_89#4&3b1d9ab8&0&4840#{adb44c00-1b8d-11d4-8d5e-00a0c90d1c42}\#COM3
>
>where the ...VEN... key has the same name as the VEN key back under the
>Enum\PCI key.
>
>Lost yet?
>
>--
>*** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
>*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Mike

Splendid

A quick fix (if it works) is to boot into safe mode and
go to the device manager. There are often remnants of
previously installed devices that you can see in safe
mode that don't appear in regular mode. Just uninstall
those remnants, reboot, and see what happens.

Mike