P4R800-V deluxe and S3 (STR) sleep state

I have noticed a S3 suspend/resume problem on the P4R800-V deluxe
mobo. Either it's the BIOS (v1008), or it's the drivers for the SIS
180 RAID Controller : v5.1.1039.1050 (XP), from the SiSRAID105.zip
download.

In short, anyone using one or more SATA HDD, or who connects even a
single HDD into the RAID ATA133 connector will have problems with S3
(suspend-to-ram). Wait. There's more.

For my part, not only was S3 (STR) useless, but I was also
experiencing problems with a USB keyboard (power required: 100mA)
dropping sink @ logon screen.

Now, gone too is the USB glitch.
4 answers Last reply
More about p4r800 deluxe sleep state

    In article <1f1fc23a.0406152125.69ccfc2@posting.google.com>,
    grotius747@hotmail.com (grotius) wrote:

    > I have noticed a S3 suspend/resume problem on the P4R800-V deluxe
    > mobo. Either it's the BIOS (v1008), or it's the drivers for the SIS
    > 180 RAID Controller : v5.1.1039.1050 (XP), from the SiSRAID105.zip
    > download.
    >
    > In short, anyone using one or more SATA HDD, or who connects even a
    > single HDD into the RAID ATA133 connector will have problems with S3
    > (suspend-to-ram). Wait. There's more.
    >
    > For my part, not only was S3 (STR) useless, but I was also
    > experiencing problems with a USB keyboard (power required: 100mA)
    > dropping sink @ logon screen.
    >
    > Now, gone too is the USB glitch.

    Have you checked into "dumppo.exe" ?
    Do a Google search on it - it can be downloaded from
    ftp.microsoft.com . Dumppo is a utility that can query and
    set some ACPI settings.

    Also, I bet the disk drive is made by Hitachi. Slow to start up
    after resume, resulting in a timeout.

    If you have a high end video card, with a 4 pin power plug to
    give it extra power, make sure that the cable from the PSU
    only powers the video card - do not use the left over connector
    on that cable for a disk drive. The video card draws enough
    power to make the voltages droop on the cable. This doesn't
    affect the video card, but it will have an impact on a
    disk drive. This was suggested in another forum, as a source
    of disk problems, and moving the drive to another power
    connector helped.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul,

    Yes, I did check with dumppo.exe.

    I've tested S3 (STR) with Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA (tested with
    1x80GB and 2x80GB RAID-1) and with a Western Digital WD80EB IDE drive
    (1x8GB, ATA-100 mode) connected to RAID ATA133 connector. In short,
    whenever I tested the system whether with 1 SATA or 2 SATA RAID-1, or
    1 ATA-100 drive connected to the SIS 180 RAID Controller, S3 sleep
    state wasn't working.

    On the other hand, if I take the Western Digital drive and connect to
    the primary or secondary IDE connector, S3 suspend/resume works fine.

    I'm hoping someone with a P4R800-V deluxe mobo will be able to confirm
    this.

    As for the USB glitch in relation with S3, the 2 two problems are not
    related. It was only a coincidence

    By the way, my system used the onboard graphics, not an AGP card.
    Also, all 5 PCI slots were empty.

    I received a new board from Asus (via RMA). Unfortunately, the S3
    suspend/resume function on the P4R800-V deluxe is still broken.

    While testing, I've used different memory and even switched power
    supply, but both P4R800-V deluxe boards will not resume from S3 (STR)
    if a disk (SATA or ATA) is connected to the SIS 180 RAID controller.

Motherboards