p2b voltage reg replacement

I have a p2b-ls rev. 1.02 (minus the Lan...).

To facilitate a CPU upgrade, I am planning on replacing the voltage
reg. chip. The board has the HIP6004A, and I have obtained the
replacement HIP6004BCB. From what I've seen in the data sheets the
chips are identical except that the BCB regulates to 1.3V where the
ACB only goes to 1.8V.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has done this mod. Aside from
the details of desoldering and resoldering the chip, are there any
other considerations? eg are there any other components (eg power
mosfets, caps) that need replacing. Any other tips?

Thanks!

Regards, Paul.
10 answers Last reply
More about voltage replacement

    Hey Paul,
    Other than being careful about desoldering and resoldering I don't think you
    need to replace anything else. I had considered doing the same thing on
    my P2B-S rev 1.02. But I decided that 1.8 volts is good enough of a voltage
    to run my celeron 600 @ 900 considering it uses 1.7 volts.
    I did a mod to a Slotket adapter to allow me to run the celeron.
    I just shorted pins A119 to A120. It tells the slotket to use 1.8 volts
    instead of 1.7 volts. Here is the info in case your curious.
    http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade_faq.html

    Good luck and let us know how it works out.

    Frank

    Paul R. Hunt wrote:
    > I have a p2b-ls rev. 1.02 (minus the Lan...).
    >
    > To facilitate a CPU upgrade, I am planning on replacing the voltage
    > reg. chip. The board has the HIP6004A, and I have obtained the
    > replacement HIP6004BCB. From what I've seen in the data sheets the
    > chips are identical except that the BCB regulates to 1.3V where the
    > ACB only goes to 1.8V.
    >
    > I'm interested to hear from anyone who has done this mod. Aside from
    > the details of desoldering and resoldering the chip, are there any
    > other considerations? eg are there any other components (eg power
    > mosfets, caps) that need replacing. Any other tips?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Regards, Paul.

    I've upgraded many P2B-xx regulators, and the HIP6004BCB is indeed
    completely pin compatible so no other component changes are required.
    Asus made no other changes to the VRM circuitry when they started using
    BCB regulators on the later P2B revisions as far as I've been able to
    determine. Note that this modification would only be required if you
    plan on upgrading to a Tualatin processor - all Coppermine processors
    will safely run on the 1.8v provided by the existing regulator.

    I usually change the clock generator as well when upgrading older P2Bs
    with onboard SCSI as the existing chip is limited to 112Mhz FSB, whereas
    an ICS9250-08 is pin-compatible and capable of up to 150Mhz FSB. The
    early-stepping BX chipsets are rarely stable at 150Mhz, but stability at
    133Mhz is virtually guaranteed and 140Mhz is probable.

    You may find my P2B modification site interesting:

    http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod

    HTH

    P2B

    In article <3O-dncii1N57IE3dRVn_iw@comcast.com>, "FrankG"
    <fgalphin@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Hey Paul,
    > Other than being careful about desoldering and resoldering I don't think you
    > need to replace anything else. I had considered doing the same thing on
    > my P2B-S rev 1.02. But I decided that 1.8 volts is good enough of a voltage
    > to run my celeron 600 @ 900 considering it uses 1.7 volts.
    > I did a mod to a Slotket adapter to allow me to run the celeron.
    > I just shorted pins A119 to A120. It tells the slotket to use 1.8 volts
    > instead of 1.7 volts. Here is the info in case your curious.
    > http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade_faq.html
    >
    > Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    >
    > Frank

    Considering the general availability of Tualatins, a Powerleap
    gets you an adapter and a processor at the same time. All you need
    is to update the BIOS, before installing the Powerleap.

    http://powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.html
    PL-iP3/T 1.1 GHz Intel Celeron $99.95

    With the 1.1/100/256KB processor, you can take a shot at overclocking
    to 1.46/133, but as the AGP is 2/3rds of 133, you'll need an AGP
    card that can hack 89MHz. Just avoid any of the current generation
    ATI9800/5900 style cards, as some of them only go to 75MHz, or
    so I've read. ( Look up Celeron Tualatin 1100 FCPGA2 on this site:
    http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ - the majority of overclocking
    efforts succeed and give you better memory bandwidth, which is the
    main benefit.)

    I've done the mod on my P2B-S, and had trouble with only one
    pin. There is a pad on the board, with no track running to it,
    and that one is all too easy to tear off the board. No harm is
    done, other than the cosmetic issue, as the pin isn't used.
    I used a cheaper upgradeware slocket, but the cost of parts
    and tools for the mod was more than the cost of the Powerleap
    above - fun, but a bad deal.

    You could get some chipquik, a low temp soldering alloy, and
    if you melt some of that on each pin, it reduces the melting
    point of the metal puddle that forms. That can make removal
    a bit easier, by pulling a piece of dental floss between the
    pin and the pad, while the modified solder is molten.

    Paul

    Paul wrote:

    > In article <3O-dncii1N57IE3dRVn_iw@comcast.com>, "FrankG"
    > <fgalphin@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Hey Paul,
    >>Other than being careful about desoldering and resoldering I don't think you
    >>need to replace anything else. I had considered doing the same thing on
    >>my P2B-S rev 1.02. But I decided that 1.8 volts is good enough of a voltage
    >>to run my celeron 600 @ 900 considering it uses 1.7 volts.
    >>I did a mod to a Slotket adapter to allow me to run the celeron.
    >>I just shorted pins A119 to A120. It tells the slotket to use 1.8 volts
    >>instead of 1.7 volts. Here is the info in case your curious.
    >>http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade_faq.html
    >>
    >>Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    >>
    >>Frank
    >

    > Considering the general availability of Tualatins, a Powerleap
    > gets you an adapter and a processor at the same time. All you need
    > is to update the BIOS, before installing the Powerleap.
    >
    > http://powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.html
    > PL-iP3/T 1.1 GHz Intel Celeron $99.95
    >
    > With the 1.1/100/256KB processor, you can take a shot at overclocking
    > to 1.46/133,

    Not on a P2B-LS 1.02 - unless he changes the clock generator, FSB is
    limited to 112Mhz.

    > but as the AGP is 2/3rds of 133, you'll need an AGP
    > card that can hack 89MHz. Just avoid any of the current generation
    > ATI9800/5900 style cards, as some of them only go to 75MHz, or
    > so I've read. ( Look up Celeron Tualatin 1100 FCPGA2 on this site:
    > http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ - the majority of overclocking
    > efforts succeed and give you better memory bandwidth, which is the
    > main benefit.)
    >
    > I've done the mod on my P2B-S, and had trouble with only one
    > pin. There is a pad on the board, with no track running to it,
    > and that one is all too easy to tear off the board. No harm is
    > done, other than the cosmetic issue, as the pin isn't used.
    > I used a cheaper upgradeware slocket, but the cost of parts
    > and tools for the mod was more than the cost of the Powerleap
    > above - fun, but a bad deal.
    >
    > You could get some chipquik, a low temp soldering alloy, and
    > if you melt some of that on each pin, it reduces the melting
    > point of the metal puddle that forms. That can make removal
    > a bit easier, by pulling a piece of dental floss between the
    > pin and the pad, while the modified solder is molten.

    Chipquik is great stuff, makes surface mount rework easy without special
    tools. Using copious amounts of paste flux and chipquik, you can get the
    chip to float in the resulting puddle at only 300F. Chipquik can be
    reused several times before the added solder raises it's melting point
    to higher a than desirable temperature.

    Dental floss works well but tends to bend the pins - not a problem if
    the chip will be discarded, but due to limited availability of these
    parts, it's often necessary to transplant chips. I use stainless steel
    matrix bands (ask your dentist) or automotive feeler gauges. Solder
    won't stick to stainless steel, and a strip .020" or thinner will slide
    under the chip body and allow it to be lifted off the board without
    bending pins.

    P2B

    Paul R. Hunt wrote:
    > I have a p2b-ls rev. 1.02 (minus the Lan...).
    >
    > To facilitate a CPU upgrade, I am planning on replacing the voltage
    > reg. chip. The board has the HIP6004A, and I have obtained the
    > replacement HIP6004BCB. From what I've seen in the data sheets the
    > chips are identical except that the BCB regulates to 1.3V where the
    > ACB only goes to 1.8V.
    >
    > I'm interested to hear from anyone who has done this mod. Aside from
    > the details of desoldering and resoldering the chip, are there any
    > other considerations? eg are there any other components (eg power
    > mosfets, caps) that need replacing. Any other tips?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Regards, Paul.

    Paul,

    I wrote a detailed reply to your private email, but your ISP rejected it
    because my (dynamic) IP address is on your ISP's anti-spam blacklist.

    My ISP is the biggest in Canada, so inevitably has a large number of
    clients infected with spammer's trojans at any given time - nothing I
    can do about it apart from running desktop firewalls and spyware
    scanners etc. to ensure my systems are not contributing to the problem.

    Aggressive blacklisting certainly reduces the volume of spam delivered
    to end users, but it becomes counterproductive when it results in large
    ISPs blocking each other.

    We may be forced to continue the discussion here.

    P2B

    Paul R. Hunt <prhunt@dyson.brisnet.org.au> wrote in message news:<06a0d0d0d0bmu0latvp3mc1rsagcsdvs8q@4ax.com>...
    > I have a p2b-ls rev. 1.02 (minus the Lan...).
    >
    > To facilitate a CPU upgrade, I am planning on replacing the voltage
    > reg. chip. The board has the HIP6004A, and I have obtained the
    > replacement HIP6004BCB. From what I've seen in the data sheets the
    > chips are identical except that the BCB regulates to 1.3V where the
    > ACB only goes to 1.8V.

    OK, I've performed the transplant. Not the most fun I've had with a
    soldering iron, but all seems to work OK. I've got a Slot-T and am
    waiting on delivery of a Tualatin Celeron 1.3GHz (possibly 1.4Ghz).

    Thanks to the info on P2B's web site, I'm going to patch the BIOS with
    the current microcode. The clock generator on my board only goes to
    112MHz, but I'm not going to attempt an upgrade.

    There are FSB jumpers on the Slot-T. Why?

    Will let you know how it all works out. Thanks for responses so far!

    Regards, Paul.

    Paul Hunt wrote:
    > Paul R. Hunt <prhunt@dyson.brisnet.org.au> wrote in message news:<06a0d0d0d0bmu0latvp3mc1rsagcsdvs8q@4ax.com>...
    >
    >>I have a p2b-ls rev. 1.02 (minus the Lan...).
    >>
    >>To facilitate a CPU upgrade, I am planning on replacing the voltage
    >>reg. chip. The board has the HIP6004A, and I have obtained the
    >>replacement HIP6004BCB. From what I've seen in the data sheets the
    >>chips are identical except that the BCB regulates to 1.3V where the
    >>ACB only goes to 1.8V.
    >

    > OK, I've performed the transplant. Not the most fun I've had with a
    > soldering iron, but all seems to work OK. I've got a Slot-T and am
    > waiting on delivery of a Tualatin Celeron 1.3GHz (possibly 1.4Ghz).
    >
    > Thanks to the info on P2B's web site, I'm going to patch the BIOS with
    > the current microcode. The clock generator on my board only goes to
    > 112MHz, but I'm not going to attempt an upgrade.
    >
    > There are FSB jumpers on the Slot-T. Why?

    They can be used to override the FSB request from the processor to the
    motherboard, in the same way the voltage jumpers override the
    processor's VID request. These jumpers will have no effect on your board
    since the P2B series uses motherboard jumpers to set the FSB and ignores
    the processor's FSB request.

    > Will let you know how it all works out. Thanks for responses so far!
    >
    > Regards, Paul.

    I am amazed to see there is still a lot of meaningful discussion on this borad in the age of 2004.

    I haven't done a lot of research, I am still using a P2BF with an overclocked Celeron 300 running at 450Mhz... for
    basic stuff, it's fine.

    Given the fact that there is a lot of Celeron at beyond 1G Hz speed at dirt cheap price, I always want to buy one an
    enjoy the speed bump.

    May I know what is the easiest route for me to get some extra speed out of the P2B-F?

    P2B wrote:

    > Paul Hunt wrote:
    > > Paul R. Hunt <prhunt@dyson.brisnet.org.au> wrote in message news:<06a0d0d0d0bmu0latvp3mc1rsagcsdvs8q@4ax.com>...
    > >
    > >>I have a p2b-ls rev. 1.02 (minus the Lan...).
    > >>
    > >>To facilitate a CPU upgrade, I am planning on replacing the voltage
    > >>reg. chip. The board has the HIP6004A, and I have obtained the
    > >>replacement HIP6004BCB. From what I've seen in the data sheets the
    > >>chips are identical except that the BCB regulates to 1.3V where the
    > >>ACB only goes to 1.8V.
    > >

    > > OK, I've performed the transplant. Not the most fun I've had with a
    > > soldering iron, but all seems to work OK. I've got a Slot-T and am
    > > waiting on delivery of a Tualatin Celeron 1.3GHz (possibly 1.4Ghz).
    > >
    > > Thanks to the info on P2B's web site, I'm going to patch the BIOS with
    > > the current microcode. The clock generator on my board only goes to
    > > 112MHz, but I'm not going to attempt an upgrade.
    > >
    > > There are FSB jumpers on the Slot-T. Why?
    >
    > They can be used to override the FSB request from the processor to the
    > motherboard, in the same way the voltage jumpers override the
    > processor's VID request. These jumpers will have no effect on your board
    > since the P2B series uses motherboard jumpers to set the FSB and ignores
    > the processor's FSB request.
    >
    > > Will let you know how it all works out. Thanks for responses so far!
    > >
    > > Regards, Paul.

    The simplest is to get an Abit slotket if you have an older version of the
    P2B-F. The highest cpu is the 1ghz Celeron (forget powerleap for Tualatin
    support-too expensive!!!). If you're lucky, if you have good AGP card, PC133
    ram and 1Ghz cpu, you can overclock to 1.3Ghz!! If you manage that, that's
    incredible for a '98 era mb!!

    ( aka iCefoX ) wrote:
    > I am amazed to see there is still a lot of meaningful discussion on this borad in the age of 2004.
    >
    > I haven't done a lot of research, I am still using a P2BF with an overclocked Celeron 300 running at 450Mhz... for
    > basic stuff, it's fine.
    >
    > Given the fact that there is a lot of Celeron at beyond 1G Hz speed at dirt cheap price, I always want to buy one an
    > enjoy the speed bump.
    >
    > May I know what is the easiest route for me to get some extra speed out of the P2B-F?

    Your upgrade options depend on the revision level of your board. All the
    details are in Roland's FAQ:

    http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade_faq.html

    > P2B wrote:
    >

    >>Paul Hunt wrote:

    >>>OK, I've performed the transplant. Not the most fun I've had with a
    >>>soldering iron, but all seems to work OK. I've got a Slot-T and am
    >>>waiting on delivery of a Tualatin Celeron 1.3GHz (possibly 1.4Ghz).
    >>>
    >>>Thanks to the info on P2B's web site, I'm going to patch the BIOS with
    >>>the current microcode. The clock generator on my board only goes to
    >>>112MHz, but I'm not going to attempt an upgrade.
    >>>
    >>>There are FSB jumpers on the Slot-T. Why?
    >>
    >>They can be used to override the FSB request from the processor to the
    >>motherboard, in the same way the voltage jumpers override the
    >>processor's VID request. These jumpers will have no effect on your board
    >>since the P2B series uses motherboard jumpers to set the FSB and ignores
    >>the processor's FSB request.
    >>

    >>>Will let you know how it all works out. Thanks for responses so far!
    >>>
    >>>Regards, Paul.

Asus Chip Motherboards