Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 motherboard

I have a computer Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 motherboard with a pentium III 800
that has been running Windows 98 for several years. I wanted to upgrade to
Windows XP so I purchased a new hard drive and booted to the cd from the
cdrom and the install locks up in various places during the install. It
never gets past 27%.

The first time I tried to install it stopped at 2%. I replaced the memory
and ran a simmtester program. It got to 5% the next time but still locked
up. I moved the new memory from the first slot to the last slot. No
change.

I tried a new cdrom. Locked up aat about 5%.

I replaced the AGP card with another one, still locked up. I replaced it
with a PCI card. Still locked up.

I tried faster, slower and every piece of memory I could get my hands on but
it still locks up.

There is never an error.

I tried two other hard drives, one locks up at the point it formats it as
NTFS, the other one gets all the way through and gives this error " the
critical system information file syssetup.inf is corrupt or missing"

I updated the BIOS to the latest version but no luck with that either.

Can I assume it is either the motherboard or the processor?

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to try them. Thanks in advance!
3 answers Last reply
More about tyan s1854 trinity motherboard

    Suggest you reinstall the 98 harddrive, then with 98
    running put in the XP disk and let it do the hardware
    compatibility check (part of the installation process) to
    see if their are any known issues.

    Are there any 'overclocked'/aggressive settings in your BIOS? When I tried
    to install Win 2000 on my 1854 with ANY overclock/agressive memory settings,
    the Win 2K install would hang during install.
    "Kim Webb" <kimwebb@pos.org> wrote in message
    >I have a computer Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 motherboard with a pentium III 800
    > that has been running Windows 98 for several years. I wanted to upgrade
    > Windows XP so I purchased a new hard drive and booted to the cd from the
    > cdrom and the install locks up in various places during the install. It
    > never gets past 27%.
    >
    > The first time I tried to install it stopped at 2%. I replaced the memory
    > and ran a simmtester program. It got to 5% the next time but still locked
    > up. I moved the new memory from the first slot to the last slot. No
    > change.
    >
    > I tried a new cdrom. Locked up aat about 5%.
    >
    > I replaced the AGP card with another one, still locked up. I replaced it
    > with a PCI card. Still locked up.
    >
    > I tried faster, slower and every piece of memory I could get my hands on
    > but
    > it still locks up.
    >
    > There is never an error.
    >
    > I tried two other hard drives, one locks up at the point it formats it as
    > NTFS, the other one gets all the way through and gives this error " the
    > critical system information file syssetup.inf is corrupt or missing"
    >
    > I updated the BIOS to the latest version but no luck with that either.
    >
    > Can I assume it is either the motherboard or the processor?
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions I would love to try them. Thanks in
    > advance!

    Yes there are overclocking setting on my motherboards. However, my
    motherboards are not the same as yours. I'd suggest that you try
    www.overclockers.com and similar websites, including some of the gamers
    sites.
    Remember that you have processor speed , multiplier, processor voltage,
    Memory buss speed, and I/O buss speed to worry about. Getting anything
    wrong can result in (the very least) a non working computer.
    Cranking up the processor speed usually results in a hotter processor. The
    existing cooling pad or compound and heat sink/fan may be inadequate. (and
    so on)

    "Frank Jelenko" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Are there any 'overclocked'/aggressive settings in your BIOS? When I
    tried
    > to install Win 2000 on my 1854 with ANY overclock/agressive memory
    settings,
    > the Win 2K install would hang during install.
    > "Kim Webb" <kimwebb@pos.org> wrote in message
    > >I have a computer Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 motherboard with a pentium III
    800
    > > that has been running Windows 98 for several years. I wanted to upgrade
    > > Windows XP so I purchased a new hard drive and booted to the cd from the
    > > cdrom and the install locks up in various places during the install. It
    > > never gets past 27%.
    > >
    > > The first time I tried to install it stopped at 2%. I replaced the
    memory
    > > and ran a simmtester program. It got to 5% the next time but still
    locked
    > > up. I moved the new memory from the first slot to the last slot. No
    > > change.
    > >
    > > I tried a new cdrom. Locked up aat about 5%.
    > >
    > > I replaced the AGP card with another one, still locked up. I replaced
    it
    > > with a PCI card. Still locked up.
    > >
    > > I tried faster, slower and every piece of memory I could get my hands on
    > > but
    > > it still locks up.
    > >
    > > There is never an error.
    > >
    > > I tried two other hard drives, one locks up at the point it formats it
    as
    > > NTFS, the other one gets all the way through and gives this error " the
    > > critical system information file syssetup.inf is corrupt or missing"
    > >
    > > I updated the BIOS to the latest version but no luck with that either.
    > >
    > > Can I assume it is either the motherboard or the processor?
    > >
    > > If anyone has any suggestions I would love to try them. Thanks in
    > > advance!

Tyan Motherboards Trinity Windows XP