Can't get file or printer sharing to work

Hi ! I have an HP desktop and a Dell laptop both running XP with SP2 and
Norton Internet Security 2005. Have just recently tried to install a Linksys
wireless network system (WRT54GS on the desktop and WPC54G on the laptop).
The two computers ping properly, at least that is what the tech support guy
said after an hour on the phone with India (LOL). The laptop connects to the
network but it does not see any folders or files that I have marked for
sharing on the desktop. Likewise with the printer sharing. India says that
the problem is a Win XP problem. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
Many thanks in advance!!
--
Rich in Marion, OH

Malke

RichMarionOhio wrote:

> Hi ! I have an HP desktop and a Dell laptop both running XP with SP2
> and Norton Internet Security 2005. Have just recently tried to install
> a Linksys wireless network system (WRT54GS on the desktop and WPC54G
> on the laptop). The two computers ping properly, at least that is what
> the tech support guy said after an hour on the phone with India (LOL).
> The laptop connects to the network but it does not see any folders or
> files that I have marked for
> sharing on the desktop. Likewise with the printer sharing. India says
> that the problem is a Win XP problem. Can anyone steer me in the right
> direction? Many thanks in advance!!

The first thing to check is your firewall settings. SP2 automatically
enables the Windows Firewall. Make sure it isn't running, since you
have NIS. Now make sure your lan IP range is entered in NIS as Trusted.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi,

Try this guide for troubleshooting:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article64-page1.php

Regards,

TimH

"Malke" wrote:

> RichMarionOhio wrote:
>
> > Hi ! I have an HP desktop and a Dell laptop both running XP with SP2
> > and Norton Internet Security 2005. Have just recently tried to install
> > a Linksys wireless network system (WRT54GS on the desktop and WPC54G
> > on the laptop). The two computers ping properly, at least that is what
> > the tech support guy said after an hour on the phone with India (LOL).
> > The laptop connects to the network but it does not see any folders or
> > files that I have marked for
> > sharing on the desktop. Likewise with the printer sharing. India says
> > that the problem is a Win XP problem. Can anyone steer me in the right
> > direction? Many thanks in advance!!
>
> The first thing to check is your firewall settings. SP2 automatically
> enables the Windows Firewall. Make sure it isn't running, since you
> have NIS. Now make sure your lan IP range is entered in NIS as Trusted.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Hi Rich,
This is definitely a protocol issue. You need to install NETBIOS
protocol. Doing this will resolve the issue. TO do the same, please folow
these steps:
1) Go to n/w connections in Control panel
2) Right click your wireless or wired connection icon and click on properties.
3) Under the general tab, please click on INSTALL button.
4) Select Protocol and click ADD
5) The select "HAVE DISK"
6) THen put in the path c:\windows\inf and click OK
7) THen, please select the NETBIOS compactible transport protocol
8) Click OK and OK.
9) Restart the computer and check.
Regs,
Vinay.S

"RichMarionOhio" wrote:

> Hi ! I have an HP desktop and a Dell laptop both running XP with SP2 and
> Norton Internet Security 2005. Have just recently tried to install a Linksys
> wireless network system (WRT54GS on the desktop and WPC54G on the laptop).
> The two computers ping properly, at least that is what the tech support guy
> said after an hour on the phone with India (LOL). The laptop connects to the
> network but it does not see any folders or files that I have marked for
> sharing on the desktop. Likewise with the printer sharing. India says that
> the problem is a Win XP problem. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
> Many thanks in advance!!
> --
> Rich in Marion, OH

Thanks to all who responded! Have gotten closer to the goal. I'm able to
share files both ways (i.e. laptop to main and main to laptop) now but the
laptop still will not access the internet connection or the main printer.

"Vinay S" wrote:

> Hi Rich,
> This is definitely a protocol issue. You need to install NETBIOS
> protocol. Doing this will resolve the issue. TO do the same, please folow
> these steps:
>
> "RichMarionOhio" wrote:
>
> > Hi ! I have an HP desktop and a Dell laptop both running XP with SP2 and
> > Norton Internet Security 2005. Have just recently tried to install a Linksys
> > wireless network system (WRT54GS on the desktop and WPC54G on the laptop).
> > The two computers ping properly, at least that is what the tech support guy
> > said after an hour on the phone with India (LOL). The laptop connects to the
> > network but it does not see any folders or files that I have marked for
> > sharing on the desktop. Likewise with the printer sharing. India says that
> > the problem is a Win XP problem. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
> > Many thanks in advance!!
> > --
> > Rich in Marion, OH

You need to "share" the printer on the machine that it's connected to.
then when you add a printer, ensure you are adding a Network printer (not a
local one) and then browse to the printer (be sure it's turned on) and click
on it.
it should work right away.

Can either machine access the Internet, or just the laptop? I assume you
are using DHCP in the router and the laptop is receiving an IP in the
correct range.
You can check by Start/run, type in cmd, enter and then type ipconfig
if your IP is in the 192.168 etc range you should be OK, but if it starts
with 169. you have an IP problem.

if that's the case, instead of typing ipconfig type in ipconfig /release hit
enter and then type in ipconfig /renew and enter
good luck

"RichMarionOhio" <RichMarionOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all who responded! Have gotten closer to the goal. I'm able to
> share files both ways (i.e. laptop to main and main to laptop) now but the
> laptop still will not access the internet connection or the main printer.
>
> "Vinay S" wrote:
>
>> Hi Rich,
>> This is definitely a protocol issue. You need to install NETBIOS
>> protocol. Doing this will resolve the issue. TO do the same, please folow
>> these steps:
>>
>> "RichMarionOhio" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi ! I have an HP desktop and a Dell laptop both running XP with SP2
>> > and
>> > Norton Internet Security 2005. Have just recently tried to install a
>> > Linksys
>> > wireless network system (WRT54GS on the desktop and WPC54G on the
>> > laptop).
>> > The two computers ping properly, at least that is what the tech support
>> > guy
>> > said after an hour on the phone with India (LOL). The laptop connects
>> > to the
>> > network but it does not see any folders or files that I have marked for
>> > sharing on the desktop. Likewise with the printer sharing. India says
>> > that
>> > the problem is a Win XP problem. Can anyone steer me in the right
>> > direction?
>> > Many thanks in advance!!
>> > --
>> > Rich in Marion, OH

Bloody but unbowed

"RichMarionOhio" wrote:

> Hi ! I have an HP desktop and a Dell laptop both running XP with SP2 and
> Norton Internet Security 2005. Have just recently tried to install a Linksys
> wireless network system (WRT54GS on the desktop and WPC54G on the laptop).
> The two computers ping properly, at least that is what the tech support guy
> said after an hour on the phone with India (LOL). The laptop connects to the
> network but it does not see any folders or files that I have marked for
> sharing on the desktop. Likewise with the printer sharing. India says that
> the problem is a Win XP problem. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
> Many thanks in advance!!
> --
> Rich in Marion, OH

ReneLeBlanc

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I have a very similar problem. It doesn't matter whether I am using a wired or wireless network connection. I can't share files or printer from my Windows XP Pro desktop PC. I have a laptop running Windows XP Home. I can share files on the laptop from the desktop, but when I try to access shares on the desktop from the laptop, I can't get in. I get a window with 'leblancnbguest' as the user, but ghosted so I can't change it. Then it wants a password, but guest doesn't have a password, and nothing I can do can make this window let me access the shares on the desktop. I have tried this with all firewalls turned off. I even UNINSTALLED ZoneAlarm and tried it, but that didn't do it either. I can PING the desktop from the laptop and all other networking works OK from both machines. I tried to follow the instructions for adding the NETBIOS protocol, but when I followed the instructions and ended up in the path c:windowsinf under PROTOCOLS, I got a big list that did not include the NETBIOS compactible transport protocol. However, I suspect it is already installed. when I go to my LAN properties, I do have "NWLink NetBIOS" and NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" boxes that are checked. Still, I cannot share :-(

hawkstar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Again I am going to quote Folken's good advice that worked for me.

On the problem PC run My Computer Tools Folder Options View, scroll down to the bottom and untick Use Simple File Sharing, it seems wrong but it worked for me.

ReneLeBlanc

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I'm happy this worked for you, but apparently my problem is different :( . I tried this and set permissions to allow anyone to do anything on the shared folders, but I still can't get in from my laptop.

R. LeBlanc

Fizix

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2005
Rene,

Do you have any Firewall/Internet Security Software running? After I installed Kaspersky Internet Security I suddenly lost my shares. It was not a firewall setting because the problem would remain even when I suspended protection.

Eventually my search led me to information about a setting called IRPStackSize. Here is an article about it.

IRPStackSize

When I increased the setting by 5 above the default it fixed my problem.

You can cut and paste the following lines into a text file then rename it to IRP.reg and double click it. It will enter it into the registry for you. The value in this example code is 5 above default. Change the value by fives up to the max [50] to see if will fix your problem. [You must REBOOT after each change]:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]
"IRPStackSize"=dword:00000014

NOTE: The value above is in hex and is = 20 decimal.

P.S. You will probably not find the entry in the registry when you first look. If the value is default, there is no entry there.