Drive Letters Disappeared

May 18, 2004 2:52:31 PM

I uninstalled Roxio CD Creator and now the drive letters
for the hard drives C and D have disappeared from Disk
Management. But E for the CD drive is correctly displayed.
And it is not possible to change the drive letters in
Disk Management.

However in Windows Explorer, all the drive letters are
clearly visible: C and D and E.
The PC seems to work as usual. The only problem so far is
if I do a full backup I have the choice to backup <...>
drive or <...> drive.
I read that this is a common problem with Roxio cd
creator but so far I could not find any solution.
I have a Dell, WindowsXP and NTFS file system.
Is there a bright mind with a solution?
Thanks
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 3:38:32 PM

The infamous disappearing CD act. See Alex Nichol's fix
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"alsa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I uninstalled Roxio CD Creator and now the drive letters
> for the hard drives C and D have disappeared from Disk
> Management. But E for the CD drive is correctly displayed.
> And it is not possible to change the drive letters in
> Disk Management.
>
> However in Windows Explorer, all the drive letters are
> clearly visible: C and D and E.
> The PC seems to work as usual. The only problem so far is
> if I do a full backup I have the choice to backup <...>
> drive or <...> drive.
> I read that this is a common problem with Roxio cd
> creator but so far I could not find any solution.
> I have a Dell, WindowsXP and NTFS file system.
> Is there a bright mind with a solution?
> Thanks

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 5:04:43 PM

Cari,
Thank you for your answer. I went to the site you
recommended; I am afraid it does not help a lot because
if you read my message, the problem is the disappearance
of the drive letters for the HARD DISKS. And only in Disk
Management. There is no problem with the CD drive, either
visibility or/and full funcionality.
Sorry, but again thank you for taking the time to respond.

-----Reply to Original Message-----
[...]

Related resources
May 18, 2004 10:27:27 PM

When in Disk Management, maximize the window. It should be a split screen.
Do you see the letters in the upper screen?

Woody

"alsa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I uninstalled Roxio CD Creator and now the drive letters
> for the hard drives C and D have disappeared from Disk
> Management. But E for the CD drive is correctly displayed.
> And it is not possible to change the drive letters in
> Disk Management.
>
> However in Windows Explorer, all the drive letters are
> clearly visible: C and D and E.
> The PC seems to work as usual. The only problem so far is
> if I do a full backup I have the choice to backup <...>
> drive or <...> drive.
> I read that this is a common problem with Roxio cd
> creator but so far I could not find any solution.
> I have a Dell, WindowsXP and NTFS file system.
> Is there a bright mind with a solution?
> Thanks

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:46:31 AM

No - No letters

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:21:17 PM

Replace the ribbon cable between motherboard and hard drives.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

!