Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My hard drive supports it, my motherboard supports it, and I have a 80wire
cable that connects the motherboard and hard drive on the first IDE channel.
Nothing else is connected to that IDE.

Why cant I get ATA-133???

Are there cables that support only ata-100 and others that support ata-133?

Thanks kenny

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

---

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You will need to install the UltraDMA drivers for that.

I know that VIA and Intel both have such chipset:

VIA: 4 in 1 Hyperion

Intel: Intel Application Accelerator.

Kenny said in news:u4v1QnQPEHA.308@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:
> My hard drive supports it, my motherboard supports it, and I have a
> 80wire cable that connects the motherboard and hard drive on the
> first IDE channel. Nothing else is connected to that IDE.
>
> Why cant I get ATA-133???
>
> Are there cables that support only ata-100 and others that support
> ata-133?
>

> Thanks kenny

And how do YOU know that UltraDMA mode 5 (ATA-100/133) is *not* being
supported? Don't expect benchmarks to show you get ATA-133 since your
PCI bus is shared with other devices. There is very little change from
ATA-66 speeds for ATA-100/133.

Have you checked in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) to see if the IDE
controllers are actually configured to use UDMA mode 5? Set them to use
"DMA if available", reboot, and check again.

Of course, I'm presuming that you were already smart enough to install
the drivers for your motherboard's chipset. If Intel, the ones in
Windows are probably sufficient. If using a VIA, SIS, or nVidia chipset
then obviously you need to download the latest version chipset/platform
drivers from them and *install* them.

*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hello

Also keep in mind thier is no real major gain between ATA100
and ATA133, so keep that in mind

Al

Alvin Brown wrote:

> Hello
>
> Also keep in mind thier is no real major gain between ATA100
> and ATA133, so keep that in mind

No thanks. That's not important enough to replace the any of the stuff that
is already kept in my mind. :)

--
Peace!
Kurt

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You were correct, by installing 4 in 1 hyperion I did achieve ata 133!
THANK YOU!

> You will need to install the UltraDMA drivers for that.
>
> I know that VIA and Intel both have such chipset:
>
> VIA: 4 in 1 Hyperion
>
> Intel: Intel Application Accelerator.
>

> "Kenny" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> > My hard drive supports it, my motherboard supports it, and I have a
80wire
> > cable that connects the motherboard and hard drive on the first IDE
> channel.
> > Nothing else is connected to that IDE.
> >
> > Why cant I get ATA-133???
> >
> > Are there cables that support only ata-100 and others that support
> ata-133?
> >

> > Thanks kenny
> >
> > --
> > "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
> > ***Arthur C. Clarke***
> >

> > ---

---