srt

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

Hi,
Aside from replacing the board are there any solutions to obtaining greater
memory that the 512mb I have using Samsung RIMM4200 32-bit RDRAM. Samsung
aren't supporting it any more and its kind of a shame that I cant get any of
the 512 modules. Any ideas? tia
Stuart.

SRT wrote:

> Hi,
> Aside from replacing the board are there any solutions to obtaining
> greater memory that the 512mb I have using Samsung RIMM4200 32-bit RDRAM.
> Samsung aren't supporting it any more and its kind of a shame that I cant
> get any of the 512 modules. Any ideas? tia
> Stuart.

Let's rock SamSung. They should prepare a last run on producing this memory
for all that people left with this same problem. Not so much fun changing
this wonderful motherboard.

isadora

Paul

Splendid

In article <cas8sr$dtf$1@reader11.wxs.nl>, isadora <isis2000@wxs.nl> wrote:

> SRT wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Aside from replacing the board are there any solutions to obtaining
> > greater memory that the 512mb I have using Samsung RIMM4200 32-bit RDRAM.
> > Samsung aren't supporting it any more and its kind of a shame that I cant
> > get any of the 512 modules. Any ideas? tia
> > Stuart.
>
> Let's rock SamSung. They should prepare a last run on producing this memory
> for all that people left with this same problem. Not so much fun changing
> this wonderful motherboard.
>
> isadora

Have you looked with a search engine ? Maybe there is still some
RAM available out there, if you can afford it :)

http://www.oempcworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=184and232&source=GOTO&keyword=rimm4200

This is the first link I found by searching on RIMM4200 in
Altavista.

HTH,
Paul

srt

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

> > SRT wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Aside from replacing the board are there any solutions to obtaining
> > > greater memory that the 512mb I have using Samsung RIMM4200 32-bit
RDRAM.
> > > Samsung aren't supporting it any more and its kind of a shame that I
cant
> > > get any of the 512 modules. Any ideas? tia
> > > Stuart.
> >
> > Let's rock SamSung. They should prepare a last run on producing this
memory
> > for all that people left with this same problem. Not so much fun
changing
> > this wonderful motherboard.
> >
> > isadora
>
> Have you looked with a search engine ? Maybe there is still some
> RAM available out there, if you can afford it :)

http://www.oempcworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=184and232&source=GOTO&keyword=rimm4200

> This is the first link I found by searching on RIMM4200 in
> Altavista.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Hi Paul,
Yes I've tried everywhere
The problem is that the memory I need/ would like is the 232 pin memory
which as you will see at the link you gave is "out of stock". Same story
everywhere, although Samsung do say they support 16 bit so I don't know if
that's feasible in a Pt533?
Stuart.

Well, 512 meg modules do exist [in fact I think that 1 gig modules
exist] and they show up on E-Bay, but they are so expensive that getting
a new motherboard is cheaper.

I'm not sure that your statement that "Samsung aren't supporting it any
more" is correct. But RIMM 4200 RDRAM modules larger than 256 megs
(which gives you 512 megs with two of them) are both hard to find and
expensive (although they DO exist).

SRT wrote:
> Hi,
> Aside from replacing the board are there any solutions to obtaining greater
> memory that the 512mb I have using Samsung RIMM4200 32-bit RDRAM. Samsung
> aren't supporting it any more and its kind of a shame that I cant get any of
> the 512 modules. Any ideas? tia
> Stuart.

No, you need RIMM 4200 (232-pin socket), you cannot use PC1066 RDRAM
(184 pin socket). 512 meg RIMM4200 modules DO exist and show up on
E-Bay, but expect to pay over $200 (for one).

SRT wrote:

> RDRAM.

> cant

>>>Let's rock SamSung. They should prepare a last run on producing this
>
> memory
>
>>>for all that people left with this same problem. Not so much fun
>
> changing
>
>>>this wonderful motherboard.
>>>
>>>isadora
>>
>>Have you looked with a search engine ? Maybe there is still some
>>RAM available out there, if you can afford it :)
>>

> http://www.oempcworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=184and232&source=GOTO&keyword=rimm4200
>
>>This is the first link I found by searching on RIMM4200 in
>>Altavista.
>>
>>HTH,
>> Paul
>

> Hi Paul,
> Yes I've tried everywhere
> The problem is that the memory I need/ would like is the 232 pin memory
> which as you will see at the link you gave is "out of stock". Same story
> everywhere, although Samsung do say they support 16 bit so I don't know if
> that's feasible in a Pt533?
> Stuart.

srt

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004

> Well, 512 meg modules do exist [in fact I think that 1 gig modules
> exist] and they show up on E-Bay, but they are so expensive that getting
> a new motherboard is cheaper.
>
> I'm not sure that your statement that "Samsung aren't supporting it any
> more" is correct. But RIMM 4200 RDRAM modules larger than 256 megs
> (which gives you 512 megs with two of them) are both hard to find and
> expensive (although they DO exist).

Hi Barry,
I still haven't located any greater than 256mb and as you say it would be
cheaper replacing the mobo.
Samsungs "official reply to my email enquiry was : "Thank you for your
inquiry to Samsung Semiconductor.

Samsung does not longer support 32Bit Rimm devices due to no worldwide
demand!

We will support 16Bit Rimm

If you have any further questions, please send us an e-mail again at the
below page via Internet."
Guess that says it all :(
Stuart.

For anyone who questions if 512 megabyte RIMM 4200 RDRAM modules exist,
they are rare, but they most definitely do exist. Here are two recent
E-Bay auctions that offered them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3484476891
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3484304042

[One of these originally had a "buy it now" price of $140 which I saw
and did not act on. I'm still kicking myself over that one.]