Lost In Wireless?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 13, 2004 9:11:04 PM

We have something called an internet mall downtown, where anyone can connect
to the internet. Sounds simple. But I can't figure out how? Can anyone help
me. I'm running windows xp home edition, and the computer is by compaq if
that makes a difference.

More about : lost wireless

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 13, 2004 9:57:42 PM

First, does your computer have wireless capabilities? If so, nad the
network is open, your computer should see the network and you should simply
connect and be about your business. Most "hotspots" are not open; they
require an account with a provider, such as T-mobile Hot Spot. If this is
the case, then your computer would see the network but would not be able to
connect. The provider you sign up with will provide connection management
software that will pop up and ask for your User ID and password, and then it
will allow you to use the hot spot network.

Bobby

"thumperie68" <thumperie68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have something called an internet mall downtown, where anyone can
> connect
> to the internet. Sounds simple. But I can't figure out how? Can anyone
> help
> me. I'm running windows xp home edition, and the computer is by compaq if
> that makes a difference.
December 13, 2004 10:57:11 PM

thumperie68 wrote:

> We have something called an internet mall downtown, where anyone can
> connect to the internet. Sounds simple. But I can't figure out how?
> Can anyone help me. I'm running windows xp home edition, and the
> computer is by compaq if that makes a difference.

It sounds great, but surely there is someone there who can give you
information how to connect. My guess is that you would set your
wireless SSID to "any" and there would be no encryption, but that is
just a guess. What wireless card do you have in the laptop? Do any
wireless networks show as available?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell