USB Controller Driver??

I've a two year old HP notebook (Pavilion zt1155) that has been troublesome. Just out of warranty the USB ports stopped working as did the built in modem. I tried working through it with HP support, but stopped when they wanted it taken in to a shop. I bought a PCMCIA modem to solve that problem (mostly use e-net anyway). Recently, I decided to try to get a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card working for an external hard drive (NEC chipset, 2 ports). I figure that even if the mother board has a bad I/O chip, so long as the PCI bus is working, the PCMCIA card should work. Seems logical. Nope. XP (home) saw that there was a USB controller, but complained it couldn't find a driver. So, I tried uninstalling the USB driver. But it still can't find a USB controller driver. The hardware manager has the yellow '?' for Other Devices, and lists the 'Modem Audio Device' and 'Universal Serial Bus controller' both with yellow '?'. I can run Windows Update, but it doesn't find a driver for the USB. Any thoughts?
2 answers Last reply
More about controller driver

    Gordie, have you installed SP1 Windows Update?
    "Gordie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've a two year old HP notebook (Pavilion zt1155) that has been
    troublesome. Just out of warranty the USB ports stopped working as did the
    built in modem. I tried working through it with HP support, but stopped when
    they wanted it taken in to a shop. I bought a PCMCIA modem to solve that
    problem (mostly use e-net anyway). Recently, I decided to try to get a USB
    2.0 PCMCIA card working for an external hard drive (NEC chipset, 2 ports). I
    figure that even if the mother board has a bad I/O chip, so long as the PCI
    bus is working, the PCMCIA card should work. Seems logical. Nope. XP (home)
    saw that there was a USB controller, but complained it couldn't find a
    driver. So, I tried uninstalling the USB driver. But it still can't find a
    USB controller driver. The hardware manager has the yellow '?' for Other
    Devices, and lists the 'Modem Audio Device' and 'Universal Serial Bus
    controller' both with yellow '?'. I can run Windows Update, but it doesn't
    find a driver for the USB. Any thoughts?

    Yes, Rich. SP1 is in. Windows Update shows all critical and driver updates as current.

Controller Hewlett Packard USB Windows XP