P2B-S BIOS locked

Hello,

I have an Asus P2B-S motherboard. When entering into the BIOS and
selecting Secondary IDE to choose LBA Mode, the systems locks up (I
cannot select anything, keyboard does not respond) so I have to
restart. If secondary IDE is not selected, BIOS works as expected and
I can quite BIOS as usually.

Quite strange, but what should I look to solve this? Could be
secondary IDE port be physically / electrically dead?

Cheers.

Elsa wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an Asus P2B-S motherboard. When entering into the BIOS and
> selecting Secondary IDE to choose LBA Mode, the systems locks up (I
> cannot select anything, keyboard does not respond) so I have to
> restart. If secondary IDE is not selected, BIOS works as expected and
> I can quite BIOS as usually.

I have many years of experience with P2B series boards and have never
encountered the exact problem you describe, but a reversed ribbon cable
could possibly produce your symptoms. Does the system lock when there is
no ribbon cable connected to the secondary IDE? What is the BIOS version ?

> Quite strange, but what should I look to solve this? Could be
> secondary IDE port be physically / electrically dead?

That's certainly a possibility, and would be my diagnosis if the BIOS
still locks with no ribbon connected. Otherwise, I suggest attaching a
small hard drive or CD-ROM to the secondary IDE - any device which is
expected to work without BIOS changes - to further diagnose the problem.
If the problem still exists, try a known-good ribbon cable, ensuring it
is oriented correctly (red wire closest to the PCI slots).

HTH

P2B