What CPU to upgrade to P4T533-C?

joek

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I'm going to upgrade the CPU from P4 2.4C Mhz to what?
My current cpu is o/c to 2.7 but I was hoping to get better results with
3.06 does it make sense to upgrade. Hoping to get it from Newegg
here is a link
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-155&depa=0
I use the computer to play games like Battlefield 1942 , Americas Army ,
and such. I have 4 X 128Mb of RDRAM and Abit FX 5600XT video card.
What is your advise? Thanks in advance...

joek

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Sorry forgot to mention the mobo. P4T533-C
Thanks

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:16:06 +0000, JoeK wrote:

> I'm going to upgrade the CPU from P4 2.4C Mhz to what? My current cpu is
> o/c to 2.7 but I was hoping to get better results with 3.06 does it
> make sense to upgrade. Hoping to get it from Newegg here is a link
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-155&depa=0
> I use the computer to play games like Battlefield 1942 , Americas Army ,
> and such. I have 4 X 128Mb of RDRAM and Abit FX 5600XT video card. What
> is your advise? Thanks in advance...

The title mentions the mobo. At 2.7GHz, there is no real reason to
upgrade, unless you are willing to throw $money$ at it for marginal
returns.

Your video card is fine too. All you will get from upgrading is higher
benchmark numbers - there will be little (if any) noticable improvements
in system performance, particularly for the current crop of games.

The P4 2.4C is the 800MHz bus chip - you sure you got that correct? I run
a P4 2.4/400 at 2.9/480 in my P4T533-C stock 1.5Vcore, and eventually may
up it to 3.2/533 or higher if needed. Can't your 2.4 run any higher than
2.7? Is it a 533 bus chip? Is your memory PC800 running at PC900 (150
bus)?

--
We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 14 years now, bombing their
country on at least a weekly basis.

"JoeK" <freedomenduresnospam@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> I use the computer to play games like Battlefield 1942 , Americas Army ,
> > and such. I have 4 X 128Mb of RDRAM and Abit FX 5600XT video card.
> > What is your advise? Thanks in advance...

Forget about your CPU upgrade. Better
spend your money on a decent graphis card and you´ll see an improvement.

G.

joek

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Sorry again it is a P4 2.45B 533Mhz. Memory is Kingston PC1066.
I have had it running at 2.8 but was unstable.
Thanks

"Ixnei" <ixnei@ixnei.ixnei> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:16:06 +0000, JoeK wrote:
>
> > I'm going to upgrade the CPU from P4 2.4C Mhz to what? My current cpu is
> > o/c to 2.7 but I was hoping to get better results with 3.06 does it
> > make sense to upgrade. Hoping to get it from Newegg here is a link

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-155&depa=0
> > I use the computer to play games like Battlefield 1942 , Americas Army ,
> > and such. I have 4 X 128Mb of RDRAM and Abit FX 5600XT video card. What
> > is your advise? Thanks in advance...
>
> The title mentions the mobo. At 2.7GHz, there is no real reason to
> upgrade, unless you are willing to throw $money$ at it for marginal
> returns.
>
> Your video card is fine too. All you will get from upgrading is higher
> benchmark numbers - there will be little (if any) noticable improvements
> in system performance, particularly for the current crop of games.
>
> The P4 2.4C is the 800MHz bus chip - you sure you got that correct? I run
> a P4 2.4/400 at 2.9/480 in my P4T533-C stock 1.5Vcore, and eventually may
> up it to 3.2/533 or higher if needed. Can't your 2.4 run any higher than
> 2.7? Is it a 533 bus chip? Is your memory PC800 running at PC900 (150
> bus)?
>
> --
> We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 14 years now, bombing their
> country on at least a weekly basis.
> "U.S.-led sanctions have killed over a million Iraqi citizens,
> according to UN studies" - James Jennings
> 3,000+ innocent Iraqi civilian casualties can't be "wrong"...

2.4 to 3.06 does make sense. Not only is it a full 25%, but the 3.06
cpu has hyperthreading, which your 2.4 does not.

"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> 2.4 to 3.06 does make sense. Not only is it a full 25%, but the 3.06
> cpu has hyperthreading, which your 2.4 does not.
>

> JoeK wrote:
>
> > I'm going to upgrade the CPU from P4 2.4C Mhz to what?
> > My current cpu is o/c to 2.7 but I was hoping to get better results
with
> > 3.06 does it make sense to upgrade. Hoping to get it from Newegg
> > here is a link

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-155&depa=0
> > I use the computer to play games like Battlefield 1942 , Americas Army ,
> > and such. I have 4 X 128Mb of RDRAM and Abit FX 5600XT video card.
> > What is your advise? Thanks in advance...

Right. Still - he´s a gamer.
Hyperthreading?
Get another 3D card for your money.
Just my 0.02 $.
G.

joek

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Why hyperthreading doesn't matter when it comes to gaming systems?
I don't get it.....
Joe K

In article <hEABc.69339$Hg2.52866@attbi_s04>,
freedomenduresnospam@yahoo.com says...
> Why hyperthreading doesn't matter when it comes to gaming systems?
> I don't get it.....

If you have Windows XP or 2003 then HT can indeed make a difference. It
doesn't matter if your particular application is SNMP capable or not,
the OS is and can off-load some of the tasks that would steal CPU cycles
away from your non-SNMP application to the other virtual CPU path.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

joek

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I'm convinced I'm getting new CPU and when ready better video card but for
now it makes better financial sense to get cpu.
Thank You ALL for the advise.