Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1 Arrives With New HUD

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
More Unity crap, more paid stuff crap... I think I'll keep my finetuned 11.04.

Also, can't resist:

[strike]The team has been hard at work throughout this cycle, introducing new features and fixing bugs.[/strike]

The team has been hard at work throughout this cycle, introducing new bugs and removing useful features.

... 'cause that's how Ubuntu rolls ever since 11.10 :D

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]The team has been hard at work throughout this cycle, introducing new bugs and removing useful features.... 'cause that's how Ubuntu rolls ever since 11.10[/citation]

You sir, win the internet. Once 11.10 starts to show its age (or I get tired of it) I'm switching to Mint. Already use Cinnamon shell so I'll probably hardly notice the change.

indian-art

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
"The technology that allows GPUs to go into a very low power consumption state when the GPU is idle (RC6) is now enabled by default for Sandy Bridge systems, which should result in considerable power savings when this stage is activated,"

Good news, will extend battery life.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]indian-art[/nom]"The technology that allows GPUs to go into a very low power consumption state when the GPU is idle (RC6) is now enabled by default for Sandy Bridge systems, which should result in considerable power savings when this stage is activated,"Good news, will extend battery life.[/citation]

Playing catchup with Windows again... can't blame them. They had to copy some power management feature from Windows to resolve some kernel power bug recently. They have to suck it up and realize that hardware is made with Windows in mind and there's no use re-inventing the bicycle with "open source drivers" and such.

[citation][nom]nukem950[/nom]This is why I use Mint Linux. A nice desktop with Ubuntu under the hood.[/citation]

Mint rocks. I had some repository issues with it and it was slower than 11.04 on my netbook so I had to abandon it, but I liked what I saw. Maybe I'll come back to it later. For now, my EeePC will be running ICS :D

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Playing catchup with Windows again... can't blame them. They had to copy some power management feature from Windows to resolve some kernel power bug recently. They have to suck it up and realize that hardware is made with Windows in mind and there's no use re-inventing the bicycle with "open source drivers" and such.[/citation]
They didn't copy any features. The bug was due to the kernel touching things it (apparently) shouldn't be. It assumed that the BIOS knew best whether to enable or disable the PCIe feature ASPM, and acted on it accordingly. Windows doesn't seem to do this, but instead won't touch ASPM unless explicitly given control over it. So if doing nothing is a Windows feature, then yes, they did copy one.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Playing catchup with Windows again... can't blame them. They had to copy some power management feature from Windows to resolve some kernel power bug recently. They have to suck it up and realize that hardware is made with Windows in mind and there's no use re-inventing the bicycle with "open source drivers" and such.[/citation]
The open source and free as in freedom sandy bridge kernel modules are made by Intel, LOL.

ezzep123

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I really really don't like the Gnome 3 UI/bad try at copying but not making it look like the Apple dock.
Plus, Ubuntu slows things down. You want a real linux? Use Vectorlinux! Holy crap! That thing flies. Heard that The funding for K/X/Lubuntu is getting taken away.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Rhythmbox as the default music player"

Seriously? A new version and this gets mentioned as new feature?
Makes it sound like there is not much in 'real' news to report then.

Kinda like Windows 8 now with a 'new and improved' Logo :)

G

KDE is the way to go!
By far the most advanced GUI of any OS!

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]bradley63336652[/nom]my classmate's step-mother makes $72/hour on the computer. She has been fired from work for 6 months but last month her pay was $18628 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more here - LazyCash5.com[/citation]

why did she get fired from work?

G

There's nothing wrong with Ubuntu or Unity, if anything Ubuntu is the only unifying force in all of LInux, most of the other Linuces are toys, and the other big boy distros like OpenSuse and Fedora are still a joke.

I kind of miss Gnome2 + Cairo Dock + compiz-config-settings-manager, but Unity is a very functional desktop, albeit my windows no longer fold themselves up into paper airplanes and fly away when I close them....

G

Sorry guys.
Unity is not a functional intuitive desktop.
The aim of all desktops is Functional, simple, Elegant.

Unity got the first 2 wrong and the last one half right.

Status
Not open for further replies.