Xp Pro doesn't recognize my Hyperthreading CPU

May 18, 2004 11:50:48 PM

I recently built my computer:
Intel 3.0 ghz HT
Asus P4C800E-Deluxe Mobo
1 Gig Mem
Raid config HDD striped
XP Pro
Above info. is for support. I was convinced everything
was running fine until I ran a few benchmarking programs
Sisoft Sandra 2004 fro example and was shocked to see
Hyperthreading was not enabled. I went back to bios and
it IS ENABLED. Then checked device mgr and only have
standard pc no multiprocessor option? Very confused and
am stumped for a fix...... Computer Gurus please advize!!
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:08:24 AM

It's not uncommon for a (new) motherboard's BIOS to be out
of date, particularly an OEM motherboard. Check the
manufacturer's site for a BIOS update but KNOW WHAT YOU'RE
DOING before updating. If not, get help.
http://usa.asus.com/index.htm
Talk to your vendor, they're supposed to be your best
source of information. Where did you buy the motherboard,
ASI ? Fry's ? Altex ? Tech Data ? Call 'em.
Good Luck !

May 19, 2004 12:17:38 AM

I bought the Mobo and all components from zipzoomfly.com
bios version date is 11/21/03 well after HT tech is
available. Two identicle systems built by friends same
bios date etc. no problems with other two any ideas or
advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, could this be
a OS problem? Thanks for responding

May 19, 2004 12:33:06 AM

Unlikely to be a Windows (or other OS) problem, sounds
like a flakey motherboard, it still might be wise to flash
the motherboard as the cost to do this is zero. If it
doesn't work I'd call the vendor, explain and ask for a
replacement - a NEW replacement. Good Luck ! (BTW, I've
been using ASUS motherboards for 12 years and for the most
part they're excellent - but nobody's perfect).

May 19, 2004 12:37:38 AM

Thanks for your assistance MGGP man I hope it's not the
Mobo can a flash of the bios really fix something like
that? I can only hope. Thank you again

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:55:09 AM

Flash is a ten-percent solution - unlikely but still worth
a try . . .

May 19, 2004 10:57:32 AM

Have a look at the following:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299340

Will probably have to reinstall XP and force to ACPI.

Woody

"Velocity" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently built my computer:
> Intel 3.0 ghz HT
> Asus P4C800E-Deluxe Mobo
> 1 Gig Mem
> Raid config HDD striped
> XP Pro
> Above info. is for support. I was convinced everything
> was running fine until I ran a few benchmarking programs
> Sisoft Sandra 2004 fro example and was shocked to see
> Hyperthreading was not enabled. I went back to bios and
> it IS ENABLED. Then checked device mgr and only have
> standard pc no multiprocessor option? Very confused and
> am stumped for a fix...... Computer Gurus please advize!!
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:52:59 PM

"Velocity" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently built my computer:
>Intel 3.0 ghz HT
>Asus P4C800E-Deluxe Mobo
>1 Gig Mem
>Raid config HDD striped
>XP Pro
> Above info. is for support. I was convinced everything
>was running fine until I ran a few benchmarking programs
>Sisoft Sandra 2004 fro example and was shocked to see
>Hyperthreading was not enabled. I went back to bios and
>it IS ENABLED. Then checked device mgr and only have
>standard pc no multiprocessor option? Very confused and
>am stumped for a fix...... Computer Gurus please advize!!

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up Task Manager.

Go to the Performance tab.

Are there two windows for "CPU Usage History" or just one. If there
are two then your hyperthreading CPU is being recognized as such.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP