firewire drive not rocognized by xp

Firewire drive is randomly recognized or not. Restart,
removing firewire and usb drivers and letting them
reinstall doesn't work, hot plugging sometimes works, and
sometimes there is no problem. I can use the drive for a
week without a problem then on a given day there is
nothing i can do to make XP recognize the drive.
There is also a problem with "delayed write failed" when
trying to back-up my drive to the firewire drive
using "DriveImage". Yes, the caching has been disabled on
all drives on the machine.

I've read all the posts I could find on similar problems
and tried all of the suggested fixes (even the crazy ones).
Any help will probably save a perfectly good external
harddrive from a severe thrashing involving massive
quantities of vulgar and offensive language.

Thanks In Advance

Lou Bruce

have you enabled firewire in your system bios.... reeboot your operating system and hold down the delete key until bios screen appears