CPU cooling fans for P4 3.0 on ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe -- sug..

With the help of many people here, I'm nearing a final decision on a new
system.

I would appreciate opinions on CPU coolers/fans. I'm going with the Intel
P4 3.0 Ghz (800 FSB) and the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MoBo. Should I get the
Intel CPU fan or something else? I've been considering the Zalman
CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler -- any opinions on that? Other/better
choices?

Thank you.

John

Paul

Splendid

In article <ZbCdnTEBK7Ywwk_dRVn-hA@lmi.net>, "John Blaustein"
<nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

> With the help of many people here, I'm nearing a final decision on a new
> system.
>
> I would appreciate opinions on CPU coolers/fans. I'm going with the Intel
> P4 3.0 Ghz (800 FSB) and the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MoBo. Should I get the
> Intel CPU fan or something else? I've been considering the Zalman
> CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler -- any opinions on that? Other/better
> choices?
>
> Thank you.
>
> John

First off, the AlCu offers just as good performance and lighter
weight. I have one and it isn't as quiet as I was expecting,
but it is not the loudest fan either.

When you assemble the computer, it might be better to install
the HSF last. I installed the Zalman before putting the board
into the case, and cables keep getting snagged in the fins while
you are working in the case.

My board is the P4C800-E Deluxe, and the S478 socket is turned
90 degrees compared to your board. The Zalman website suggests
you check the clearance via a 55mm radius from the center of the
S478 socket. I took the picture of your motherboard in the
downloadable manual and measured it, and you need roughly an 8mm
space from the top edge of the motherboard, to the bottom of the
PSU. (In my Antec Sonata, there is 15mm from the PSU to the
motherboard edge, but this varies from case to case. On some
cases, the clearance is as low as 1mm.) If you want to verify
my measurement, I believe the pins on the S478 are 1.27mm apart
(center to center), and that is what I use as a ruler, to measure
the 55mm distance.

When comparing other heatsinks, compare the Zalman claim of
roughly 0.25C/watt thermal resistance. There are some other
popular solutions that run around 0.5C/watt, which makes
for a much warmer result.

HTH,
Paul

Hi again Paul... your help is invaluable!

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote

> First off, the AlCu offers just as good performance and lighter
> weight. I have one and it isn't as quiet as I was expecting,
> but it is not the loudest fan either.

That's interesting and good to know. It's also a bit cheaper.

> When you assemble the computer, it might be better to install
> the HSF last. I installed the Zalman before putting the board
> into the case, and cables keep getting snagged in the fins while
> you are working in the case.

OK... thanks for that tip.

> My board is the P4C800-E Deluxe, and the S478 socket is turned
> 90 degrees compared to your board. The Zalman website suggests
> you check the clearance via a 55mm radius from the center of the
> S478 socket. I took the picture of your motherboard in the
> downloadable manual and measured it, and you need roughly an 8mm
> space from the top edge of the motherboard, to the bottom of the
> PSU. (In my Antec Sonata, there is 15mm from the PSU to the
> motherboard edge, but this varies from case to case. On some
> cases, the clearance is as low as 1mm.) If you want to verify
> my measurement, I believe the pins on the S478 are 1.27mm apart
> (center to center), and that is what I use as a ruler, to measure
> the 55mm distance.

I'm planning on the Antec SLK3700-BQE:
http://www.antec.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=93703

This case seems very similar to the Sonata. I gather the Sonata is painted
in a glossy black, and this one is a flat black which will be a better match
to my monitor. I sure hope there is enough space in the case for the Zalman
cooler.

On the MB subject... while I've pretty much settled for the P4P800-E Deluxe,
I may spring for the extra $50 and go for the P4C800-E Deluxe. The
consensus here is that the P4C is the "flagship," so why not get the best.

> When comparing other heatsinks, compare the Zalman claim of
> roughly 0.25C/watt thermal resistance. There are some other
> popular solutions that run around 0.5C/watt, which makes
> for a much warmer result.

The Zalman looks like a good choice.

John

ChrisH

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:21:18 -0700, "John Blaustein"
<nomail@nomail.com> wrote:

>With the help of many people here, I'm nearing a final decision on a new
>system.
>
>I would appreciate opinions on CPU coolers/fans. I'm going with the Intel
>P4 3.0 Ghz (800 FSB) and the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MoBo. Should I get the
>Intel CPU fan or something else? I've been considering the Zalman
>CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler -- any opinions on that? Other/better
>choices?
>
>Thank you.
>
>John

I recently fitted the Cu version to my P4S800D-E deluxe and it works
well. No problem fitting it and the weight is no problem either. I
used the Zalman FanMate (supplied) originally but decided it does
nothing useful as I let the BIOS control the fan speed, so I took it
out. The fan is not silent but much quieter than the case fans and HD
so I can't hear CPU fan even when it's running flat out.

Have a read at the reviews of this MB, you might be surprised at it's
performance compared to the intel chipset boards (P4P, P4C). Mine has
a 3.0GHz P4 fitted running at 3.3 (simple 10% overclock), very stable.
It's been running for a week crunching SETI units and converting wav
files to MP3s. Memory bandwidth is phenominal at 5075MB/sec.

ChrisH

Thanks, Chris!

John

In message <nospam-1806040014460001@192.168.1.177>, Paul
<nospam@needed.com> writes
>> I would appreciate opinions on CPU coolers/fans. I'm going with the Intel
>> P4 3.0 Ghz (800 FSB) and the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe MoBo. Should I get the
>> Intel CPU fan or something else?
>
>When you assemble the computer, it might be better to install
>the HSF last. I installed the Zalman before putting the board
>into the case, and cables keep getting snagged in the fins while
>you are working in the case.

The Intel fan isn't bad at all.
Unless you want to really overclock and overvolt, it should be fine
....... unless you want it quieter.
I wouldn't have said the stock fan was particularly loud, but its not
quiet either.

I've used Thermalright SLK900 type heatsinks. Fitted with a quiet 80 or
92 mm fan, they are really quiet.
Note that you should assemble the HSF FIRST with this as it comes with a
bracket that fits underside the motherboard. And also the fan spring
clips are a bit of a ah heck if something else is in the way.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'

Thanks, Garth!

John