Sign in with
Your question

Xbox 360 controller on Windows 7 PC

Last response: in Windows 7
January 16, 2011 10:42:24 PM

I'm trying to get my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC. It's wireless and I'm trying to use the USB charge cable. If there is anyway to make this work so I can use my 360 controller on zsnes it would be a great help. I request that you put in download links if you can. Thank you.
January 16, 2011 11:14:17 PM

No, you cannot do that. The plug and charge cable carries charge ONLY, it does not carry data at all so the PC won't see the controller attached. When you plug in your Xbox 360 controller to your Xbox using the plug and charge cable, the controller is still communicating wirelessly with your Xbox - the cable physically cannot carry data.

You either need to use a wired Xbox 360 controller ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-WINDO... ) or a wireless receiver for PC ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-W... ).
m
l
January 17, 2011 3:39:41 PM

Oh well. Thanks for telling me. This saves me a lot of future frustration.
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2012 4:49:32 AM

how do you make your wireless xbox 360 controller work on your windows 7 without buying anything because i want to play mount and blade napoleonic wars but the keyboard is to hard and i'm used to to the xbox 360 controller please HELP i'm getting really mad :fou: 
m
l
November 4, 2012 8:31:48 AM

yea hi.i have sort of a similar problem.i have a wireless xbox 360 controller but later on just for the sake of saving money on batteries i got a cable for it which would help me to connect to my xbox without having to put batteries.iv been tryin the same controller with my windows 7 ultimate it has installed a driver and the computer says"device is working properly" but the controller is blinking and my fifa 12 isnt detecting it.help please
m
l
December 11, 2012 3:35:13 AM

Confused Stu said:
No, you cannot do that. The plug and charge cable carries charge ONLY, it does not carry data at all so the PC won't see the controller attached. When you plug in your Xbox 360 controller to your Xbox using the plug and charge cable, the controller is still communicating wirelessly with your Xbox - the cable physically cannot carry data.

You either need to use a wired Xbox 360 controller ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-WINDO... ) or a wireless receiver for PC ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-W... ).

This is 100% false. I am using the aforementoned and my computer reads it just fine. I have the same issue with it not working. Clearly this guy doesn't have the answers (and neither does microsoft apparently)
m
l
January 21, 2013 12:44:52 PM

Confused Stu is not wrong, you do require the Xbox 360 wireless receiver, but only if you have a wireless controller, like me. I'm guessing that that you, Moves, have a wired controller. If you have a wireless controller, I assure you, there is no way that it will work without the aforementioned receiver.

Sources:
The internet
Own experience (I've ordered a reciever for myself, going to get soon :na:  )

P.S.:
Moves, this information is there on the Microsoft website. Just google "how to connect xbox 360 wireless controller to pc" and click on the Microsoft link. I've personally seen the website, so no bluff there.

GL to all those people out there with a wireless controller but no receiver..... I've felt your pain and frustration :??: 

Also, for those with a wired controller, you can directly plug in into the PC and download the required drivers from the net to make it work, meaning you don't require the receiver. :D 

Stay Strong!
m
l
January 22, 2013 2:56:12 AM

Moves said:
This is 100% false. I am using the aforementoned and my computer reads it just fine. I have the same issue with it not working. Clearly this guy doesn't have the answers (and neither does microsoft apparently)

What ? This is 100% false .? :??: 
m
l
March 17, 2013 12:29:13 PM

MS is full of BS because my son plays all of his pc games with a wireless xbox 360 controller connected with the cable. I have two other controllers that give the same symptoms as described here, but these are used controllers I haven't even tested with the console.
m
l
!