RAM problem?

Tags:
  • RAM
  • Windows XP
May 19, 2004 4:56:03 AM

Guys,

I bought a brand new Compaq Presario R3145 laptop yesterday. Running Win XP Home SP1a.

CPU: 3.0 GHz
RAM: 512MB
HDD: 60GB

Anyway, when I went to Control Panel and System it says I've only got 384MB RAM. Does this indicate there is a problem? Is the RAM faulty?

Can anyone shed any light?

Regards,
Ash.

More about : ram problem

May 19, 2004 12:28:40 PM

yes
"Wolfman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> I bought a brand new Compaq Presario R3145 laptop yesterday. Running Win
XP Home SP1a.

> CPU: 3.0 GHz
> RAM: 512MB
> HDD: 60GB
>
> Anyway, when I went to Control Panel and System it says I've only got
384MB RAM. Does this indicate there is a problem? Is the RAM faulty?

> Can anyone shed any light?
>
> Regards,
> Ash.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:41:30 PM

is the VGA embedded on mainboard?, if so, that vga steal 128 MB to the whole
ram system
in your case: 128 MB, go to device manager, expand VGA ant watch its
properties, or if you have AIDA32 can see in GPU the ram assigned to vga

--
Bienvenidos al sitio de MVP de Microsoft
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Recuerda: Una Consulta, Un Foro:

Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase, y no
otorga ningún derecho.

You assume all risk for your use.

XP Pro-2600-limpia+SP1

por favor
respuestas al grupo; asi nos beneficiamos todos
no se responde personalmente

saludos

Antonio
ms mvp windowsxp shell user

"Wolfman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> I bought a brand new Compaq Presario R3145 laptop yesterday. Running Win
> XP Home SP1a.
>
> CPU: 3.0 GHz
> RAM: 512MB
> HDD: 60GB
>
> Anyway, when I went to Control Panel and System it says I've only got
> 384MB RAM. Does this indicate there is a problem? Is the RAM faulty?
>
> Can anyone shed any light?
>
> Regards,
> Ash.
May 19, 2004 2:41:31 PM

Guys,

It turns out the missing 128MB is for the graphics card. A little miss leading, you expect 512MB RAM and 128BM graphics but I guess it's not possible in a laptop.

Regards,
Ash.
May 19, 2004 2:41:32 PM

It is possible to have dedicated RAM for CPU and Graphics, however it then requires more space to accomodate two sets of memory modules and the data busees for each set.

As Video RAM and system RAM are now both using DD-RAM, why waste space: so go out and buy a memory module to inprove your system memory size and not have to worry about the 128Mb lost to video.
!