Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I have encounterd problems when connecting my Sony DSC-
P72 digital camera to my PC. (Windows XP PRO) When you
connect a camera (USB) Windows automatically installs the
drivers needed and the camera should show up under 'My
Computer' as a removable drive.

If you have mapped a network drive this can cause
problems. Physical drives have priority over mapped
network drives. Physical drives --> Hard drive C:, Floppy
A:, CDRW D:, DVD E: . If you connect a camera it
automatically gets allocated to F: . I already had F:
allocated as a mapped network drive. No error message
appeared, the network drives all looked OK and there was
no sign of my camera appearing under 'My Computer'.

I had to disconnect/reallocate the mapped network drive
and restart my computer for the camera to show. I assume
there would be other instances where this problem could
occur, ie. not just with mapped network drives.

Brian

The trick is to map network drives and also CD/DVD drives with a gap in the
letter sequence. So, if you have C+D hard drives, be sure that the next
drive is not E, but F (or G, H, I). Re-assigning drive letters to attached
hardware is very easy within XP. Just remember not to re-assign C:\ and/or
the drive with XP on it. As for network drives, they need to be un-mapped,
then then re-mapped with a high letter.
"Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have encounterd problems when connecting my Sony DSC-
> P72 digital camera to my PC. (Windows XP PRO) When you
> connect a camera (USB) Windows automatically installs the
> drivers needed and the camera should show up under 'My
> Computer' as a removable drive.
>
> If you have mapped a network drive this can cause
> problems. Physical drives have priority over mapped
> network drives. Physical drives --> Hard drive C:, Floppy
> A:, CDRW D:, DVD E: . If you connect a camera it
> automatically gets allocated to F: . I already had F:
> allocated as a mapped network drive. No error message
> appeared, the network drives all looked OK and there was
> no sign of my camera appearing under 'My Computer'.
>
> I had to disconnect/reallocate the mapped network drive
> and restart my computer for the camera to show. I assume
> there would be other instances where this problem could
> occur, ie. not just with mapped network drives.
>
> Brian

ever thought about buying a card reader....ie compact flash reader....sd reader...sm reader... or even a multi card reader....they only cost about £10 and it saves alot of configuration hassle