"Best brain award" if you solve this one!

I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
minutes.
48 answers Last reply
More about best brain award solve

    How can a 512Mb Module be identcal to a 256Mb Module. Just think about it.

    Despite the fact that the performance specifications are possibly the same: that is the beginning and the end.

    What you have written in not so many words, is that a Boeing 737 is identical to a Boeing 767: think about it. They both are made by Boeing, both comply with FAA regulations, both run on Avgas, both have two wings, they both have two engines and so on......just that one is double the capacity of the other!

    OK I give you the 'not the best brain award'.

    Exactly the same type! PC2100 (266) DDR SDRAM DIMM

    Incompatible RAM - and it doesn't take a brain to realize that. You,
    yourself, have said that each works by themselves. That is the clue!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
    > m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
    > now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
    > 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
    > when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
    > slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
    > test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
    > minutes.

    I have run diagnostics software and the stats on the 256
    and the 512 are identical... apart from the size,
    obviously.

    .... and thank you sir, for not being as sarcastic as some
    others.

    Just so you know... Avgas is for propellor driven planes,
    a Boeing flies on kerosene.

    Hello Adrian
    I have found that XP is very ram friendly but at the same time it is very
    picky, where on the older OS mixing ram sizes would not cause any problems,
    it is just the opposite with XP. For example if you want 768meg ram use
    3x256, provided you have 3 slots or 2x256, 2x512 and so on, just make sure
    they are the same size and speed.
    This is just what I have found with computer upgrading, I have no idea what
    it is with XP, maybe just my luck.

    --
    Hope This Helps
    Haus
    "Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
    > m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
    > now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
    > 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
    > when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
    > slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
    > test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
    > minutes.

    Thanx Dude. Someone else just told me the same thing. I
    think it might be the answer.

    Hello
    Your Welcome
    Good Luck

    --
    > Thanx Dude. Someone else just told me the same thing. I
    > think it might be the answer.

    Some mobo require the largest stick to be in the 0 slot, try
    the 512 in the first slot and the other stick in the next
    slot. Your mobo manual should say something about this if
    it is a factor.

    "Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou> wrote in message
    | Hello
    | Your Welcome
    | Good Luck
    |
    | --
    | Hope This Helps
    | Haus
    | Not a MVP
    | Not a MS-MVP
    | Not nothing just a good ole boy..;)
    | "Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | > Thanx Dude. Someone else just told me the same thing. I
    | > think it might be the answer.

    Tried all possible configurations.

    Hello
    >Just so you know... Avgas is for propeller driven planes,
    a Boeing flies on kerosene.

    That is also correct

    You have just received another best brain award.

    --
    > Just so you know... Avgas is for propellor driven planes,
    > a Boeing flies on kerosene.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Avgas is for gasoline powered piston driven airplanes, some
    propellers are driven by turbine engines such as the PT6
    series from P&W, these and turbojets use JetA-1 or other
    variations of kerosene based fuel. The kerosene that is in
    your furnace or the truck is not quite the same.

    --
    James H. Macklin
    ATP,CFI,A&P

    | Hello
    | >Just so you know... Avgas is for propeller driven planes,
    | a Boeing flies on kerosene.
    |
    | That is also correct
    |
    | You have just received another best brain award.
    |
    | --
    | Hope This Helps
    | Haus
    | Not a MVP
    | Not a MS-MVP
    | Not nothing just a good ole boy..;)
    | <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > Just so you know... Avgas is for propellor driven
    planes,
    | > a Boeing flies on kerosene.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Adriaan wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
    > m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
    > now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
    > 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
    > when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
    > slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
    > test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
    > minutes.

    The answer is obvious - you have faulty or incompatible modules. The modules
    might be identical to each other but, unless they are also identical to the
    module you already have, then it simply won't work. Did you check the
    manufacturer's site (the board manufacturer, that is) or www.crucial.com to
    see what modules would work with that board? Suggest you download Everest
    from here http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1 and have it
    tell you exactly what the 256MB module is. Then you need to purchase a RAM
    to match it exactly.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Except on some older systems where memory needed to be added in pairs, it
    seems unlikely that you can only add memory modules that are exactly the
    same size (256Mb 512Mb etc) as the existing one. You should be able to mix
    and match module sizes, as long as the type and speed are the same...

    ChrisM

    "BAR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can a 512Mb Module be identcal to a 256Mb Module. Just think about
    it.

    > Despite the fact that the performance specifications are possibly the
    same: that is the beginning and the end.

    > What you have written in not so many words, is that a Boeing 737 is
    identical to a Boeing 767: think about it. They both are made by Boeing,
    both comply with FAA regulations, both run on Avgas, both have two wings,
    they both have two engines and so on......just that one is double the
    capacity of the other!

    > OK I give you the 'not the best brain award'.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    The P51 is an awesome machine is it not?
    I've worked on the PT6 at Pacific airmotive corp.
    Are you a CFI on the Mustang? Ya Dumb ? I know!
    I feel envy coming on.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Are you getting an error message/blue screen? or just rebooting/hanging?

    I have a similar problem (see my post 'HP Pavilion ACPI Error' No solution
    at the moment I'm afraid)
    I'll let you know if I find anything out though.

    ChrisM

    "Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
    > m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
    > now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
    > 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
    > when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
    > slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
    > test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
    > minutes.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I had that problem because I was given a PC2700 instead
    of a PC2100. Blue screen, boot sector corrupt, etc. Now I
    got the right type PC2100, no more blue screen, but very
    unstable.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    BAR wrote:
    > How can a 512Mb Module be identcal to a 256Mb Module. Just think
    > about it.
    >
    > Despite the fact that the performance specifications are possibly the
    > same: that is the beginning and the end.
    >
    > What you have written in not so many words, is that a Boeing 737 is
    > identical to a Boeing 767: think about it. They both are made by
    > Boeing, both comply with FAA regulations, both run on Avgas, both
    > have two wings, they both have two engines and so on......just that
    > one is double the capacity of the other!
    >
    > OK I give you the 'not the best brain award'.

    Quite easily you moron. They can be identical in all but size - of course
    they can.

    What you've typed is unadulterated B.S.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Sorry Cerridwen, But Aircraft is one area that I'm the
    expert in. I've been a Aircraft Mechanic since 1977 a
    licensed Mechanic since 1984 and both the 737 and 767
    burn Jet A.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Is it possible that your power supply is marginal and the extra stick
    of Ram is the last straw? A fairly easy check for this would be to
    boot without any internal drives plugged in and/or with the minimum
    storage setup you can run with.

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 03:10:41 -0700, "Adriaan"

    >I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
    >m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
    >now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
    >768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
    >when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
    >slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
    >test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
    >minutes.

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    does your motherboard support more than 512 meg of ram.. check your motherboard documentation
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Never had a chance to fly the P51, the greatest WWII ear
    fighter. It held its own until the early 1950s. If I had
    millions in the bank I'd have one in the hanger, along with
    a Corsair and a few other great fighters, P47, F8F. But if
    I was restricted to one airplane I'd want the T1 Jayhawk.
    The PT6 is an awesome engine, the big versions are over
    1,500 hp.

    "MAP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | The P51 is an awesome machine is it not?
    | I've worked on the PT6 at Pacific airmotive corp.
    | Are you a CFI on the Mustang? Ya Dumb ? I know!
    | I feel envy coming on.

    | >|
    | >| That is also correct
    | >|
    | >| You have just received another best brain award.
    | >|
    | >| --
    | >| Hope This Helps
    | >| Haus
    | >| Not a MVP
    | >| Not a MS-MVP
    | >| Not nothing just a good ole boy..;)
    | >| <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | >planes,

    | >|
    | >|

    | >.

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    they should work, but we do not live in a perfect world, and it seems
    that the 2 memories are not totally compatible with each other.
    Take the new memory back and ask if you can change it with another brand and
    try again.

    "Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
    > m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
    > now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
    > 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
    > when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
    > slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
    > test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
    > minutes.

    ---
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    did you try swapping slots? put the larger stick in slot 1. I had the same
    problem with mine and the swap fixed it.
    good luck
    Papatoes
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Tried it. No go... thanx anyhoo.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
    >m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
    >now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
    >768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
    >when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
    >slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
    >test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
    >minutes.

    RAM from different manufacturers, or even from the same manufacturer
    but different production lots, can have internal differences in the
    material composition and/or the physical layout of the RAM chips.

    These differences can affect the strength and timing of the signals
    returned from the RAM and Windows is sensitive to these differences,

    The fact that the two modules work okay by themselves but there are
    problems when they are both installed confirms that you have this type
    of problem.

    The only "cure" is to replace the older 256 mb module with a new one
    that is *identical* (manufacturer and production lot) to the new 512
    mb module. Or just run with the 512 mb module by itself.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 08:46:57 -0500, "Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou>
    wrote:

    >Hello Adrian
    >I have found that XP is very ram friendly but at the same time it is very
    >picky, where on the older OS mixing ram sizes would not cause any problems,
    >it is just the opposite with XP. For example if you want 768meg ram use
    >3x256, provided you have 3 slots or 2x256, 2x512 and so on, just make sure
    >they are the same size and speed.
    >This is just what I have found with computer upgrading, I have no idea what
    >it is with XP, maybe just my luck.

    YMMV but I have got one 128Mb module and 2 * 256Mb modules on my XP
    Pro system - and it works fine. (MSI K7 Pro Motherboard).
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Could one memory stick be double sided and the other is not? I had compatability issues with 2 memory modules of same size but one was double sided and one was not. Once the vendor sent me the double sided version all was fine.
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I wasn't aware that the P51 was an "ear fighter," and I
    think you meant "on the hanger," unless you meant "hangar."
    No Best Brain award for you.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I just can't type when I'm tired, too bad the spellchecker
    can't tell I meant era and not ear. On the spelling of
    hangar, yep, I blew that but in my defense I probably had a
    typo and selected the wrong correction.

    "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:fbe701c43e79$4bff1630$a001280a@phx.gbl...

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi,

    I am really sorry but I may not be able to give you the exact reasoning behind this. But as far as my knowledge goes its always said to have as much memory as possible on a single chip. Just in case if you need to upgrade always have both the memory chips of the same specifications and CAPACITY i.e if one is 256 MB try to make the other one of 256 MB as well, otherwise the system behaves erratically. I have tried this on numerous computers and it was found to be true.

    Thanks,
    Alok
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Adrian,

    Assuming the 2 memory modules are compatible with each other, you would probably need to increase the voltage that is made available to the memory slots with both of them installed. I'm not sure of specifics here, but the manufacturer should be able to help you out with voltage values.
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Find out if the memory is compatible with your motherboard, check what type of RAM your motherboard works on. e.g mine runs on DDR ram. If it is compatible you may have damage the modules. check that the ram slots are secured and that the clips r touching the module. 2.You may have damaged the modules via static electricity, 3. check that the gold pins are not bent.
    THIS WAS WRITTEN BY A 12 YR OLD (NO JOKE)
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Take a look to the BIOS settings, maybe there is the solution of your problem. Well, it's just an opinion.
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    If you have more than two RAM slots have you tried moving the modules to different slots on the mobo?
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    When using DDR modules they are best when both in the same bank are identical in size and speed. i.e. 256 & 256 @ 2100 or 256 & 256 @ 2700
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hello,

    The answer is there in the question you have given. The problem is with the hardware(memory module). It is the bus speed which is varying. If you need the best case then use both the memory modules of the same make and size.

    mailto:raghuveer.sjm@khodaycc.com

    Raghu
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    http://217.115.198.3/content/topic/14308/ TYPE Your mobo model number and your issue in google search. Will each module load up by itself? Have you tried swapping them?
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    If the motherboard is a newer dual channel type, you must use identical (down to the same batch) pieces of memory in the two banks. Same size is a given.

    ----- Adriaan wrote: -----

    I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
    m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
    now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
    768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
    when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
    slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
    test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
    minutes.
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    the best way to do is buy thesame type of pc2100 ddr ram.
  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Guess you already done that, been there etc. But ofcourse you should do a proper memorytest, and test the mainboard as well. And as you mix one 256 with one 512 Mb module this could also be the problem as many mainboards does not accept two different sizez. In other word you need to upgrade with eithe one extra 256 or two 512 mb modules in order to make it work.
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Check your motherboard manual. Some motherboards have a very specific combination of memory modules that they support. If you don't have the manual check the manufacturers website.

    ----- Adriaan wrote: -----

    I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
    m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
    now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
    768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
    when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
    slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
    test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
    minutes.
  44. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    P51 is great to fly as is the old corsairs, and even the british spitfires. What I would to get my hand on is the old me109, I would also like to fly/fly in an old p-38.
  45. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You can get a Spanish ME109, they flew them well into the
    1970s. They have a different engine, I think there are
    still some on the market. They are small airplanes, not
    much larger than a Beech Bonanza with about 800 hp.

    The P38 was nice to fly, from what some of my old flight
    instructors told me. They liked it over water because of
    the second engine.

    "anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | P51 is great to fly as is the old corsairs, and even the
    british spitfires. What I would to get my hand on is the old
    me109, I would also like to fly/fly in an old p-38.
  46. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Have you tried swapping the sticks in the slots? In other words, reverse the stick. Put stick 1 in slot 2 and stick 2 in slot 1.
  47. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I bet you have Flight Simulator

    > You can get a Spanish ME109, they flew them well into the
    > 1970s. They have a different engine, I think there are
    > still some on the market. They are small airplanes, not
    > much larger than a Beech Bonanza with about 800 hp.
    >
    > The P38 was nice to fly, from what some of my old flight
    > instructors told me. They liked it over water because of
    > the second engine.

    > "anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | P51 is great to fly as is the old corsairs, and even the
    > british spitfires. What I would to get my hand on is the old
    > me109, I would also like to fly/fly in an old p-38.

  48. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Actually, I don't. There are some training devices known as
    PCATD that is what I want. As a real airplane pilot, trying
    to use toys to fly doesn't work well.
    see http://www.aopa.org/asf/asfarticles/sp9707.html or
    Google for PCATD to see what is really available.
    I did buy a copy of Looking Glass software Flight Unlimited
    III and tried it with the keyboard. One of the planes they
    use is the Beechjet, an aircraft that I am qualified to fly.
    Started the sim which looks nice, my mind said to do things,
    like use my little finger on my right hand to reduce power
    on the right engine, to press the right rudder pedal, to tap
    the right brake with my big toe. I crashes trying to taxi
    the computer.
    Until I can afford a PCATD, computer games don't thrill me.

    --
    James H. Macklin
    ATP,CFI,A&P

    "Sk8104S8tan" <Sk8104S8tan@home.com> wrote in message
    | I bet you have Flight Simulator

    in message
    | > You can get a Spanish ME109, they flew them well into
    the
    | > 1970s. They have a different engine, I think there are
    | > still some on the market. They are small airplanes, not
    | > much larger than a Beech Bonanza with about 800 hp.
    | >
    | > The P38 was nice to fly, from what some of my old flight
    | > instructors told me. They liked it over water because
    of
    | > the second engine.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in
    | > message

    | > | P51 is great to fly as is the old corsairs, and even
    the
    | > british spitfires. What I would to get my hand on is the
    old
    | > me109, I would also like to fly/fly in an old p-38.

Windows XP