"Best brain award" if you solve this one!

May 19, 2004 7:10:41 AM

I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
minutes.

More about : brain award solve

May 19, 2004 8:31:15 AM

How can a 512Mb Module be identcal to a 256Mb Module. Just think about it.

Despite the fact that the performance specifications are possibly the same: that is the beginning and the end.

What you have written in not so many words, is that a Boeing 737 is identical to a Boeing 767: think about it. They both are made by Boeing, both comply with FAA regulations, both run on Avgas, both have two wings, they both have two engines and so on......just that one is double the capacity of the other!

OK I give you the 'not the best brain award'.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:48:43 AM

Exactly the same type! PC2100 (266) DDR SDRAM DIMM

May 19, 2004 10:56:04 AM

Incompatible RAM - and it doesn't take a brain to realize that. You,
yourself, have said that each works by themselves. That is the clue!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
> m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
> now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
> 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
> when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
> slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
> test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
> minutes.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 10:56:05 AM

I have run diagnostics software and the stats on the 256
and the 512 are identical... apart from the size,
obviously.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 10:56:05 AM

.... and thank you sir, for not being as sarcastic as some
others.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:14:06 AM

Just so you know... Avgas is for propellor driven planes,
a Boeing flies on kerosene.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:46:57 PM

Hello Adrian
I have found that XP is very ram friendly but at the same time it is very
picky, where on the older OS mixing ram sizes would not cause any problems,
it is just the opposite with XP. For example if you want 768meg ram use
3x256, provided you have 3 slots or 2x256, 2x512 and so on, just make sure
they are the same size and speed.
This is just what I have found with computer upgrading, I have no idea what
it is with XP, maybe just my luck.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus
"Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
> m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
> now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
> 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
> when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
> slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
> test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
> minutes.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:46:58 PM

Thanx Dude. Someone else just told me the same thing. I
think it might be the answer.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:16:24 PM

Hello
Your Welcome
Good Luck

--
> Thanx Dude. Someone else just told me the same thing. I
> think it might be the answer.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:31:05 PM

Some mobo require the largest stick to be in the 0 slot, try
the 512 in the first slot and the other stick in the next
slot. Your mobo manual should say something about this if
it is a factor.

"Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou> wrote in message
| Hello
| Your Welcome
| Good Luck
|
| --
| Hope This Helps
| Haus
| Not a MVP
| Not a MS-MVP
| Not nothing just a good ole boy..;)
| "Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > Thanx Dude. Someone else just told me the same thing. I
| > think it might be the answer.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:31:06 PM

Tried all possible configurations.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 1:45:12 PM

Hello
>Just so you know... Avgas is for propeller driven planes,
a Boeing flies on kerosene.

That is also correct

You have just received another best brain award.

--
> Just so you know... Avgas is for propellor driven planes,
> a Boeing flies on kerosene.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:08:33 PM

Avgas is for gasoline powered piston driven airplanes, some
propellers are driven by turbine engines such as the PT6
series from P&W, these and turbojets use JetA-1 or other
variations of kerosene based fuel. The kerosene that is in
your furnace or the truck is not quite the same.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

| Hello
| >Just so you know... Avgas is for propeller driven planes,
| a Boeing flies on kerosene.
|
| That is also correct
|
| You have just received another best brain award.
|
| --
| Hope This Helps
| Haus
| Not a MVP
| Not a MS-MVP
| Not nothing just a good ole boy..;)
| <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > Just so you know... Avgas is for propellor driven
planes,
| > a Boeing flies on kerosene.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 4:00:02 PM

Adriaan wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
> m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
> now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
> 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
> when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
> slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
> test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
> minutes.

The answer is obvious - you have faulty or incompatible modules. The modules
might be identical to each other but, unless they are also identical to the
module you already have, then it simply won't work. Did you check the
manufacturer's site (the board manufacturer, that is) or www.crucial.com to
see what modules would work with that board? Suggest you download Everest
from here http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1 and have it
tell you exactly what the 256MB module is. Then you need to purchase a RAM
to match it exactly.
May 19, 2004 5:50:45 PM

Except on some older systems where memory needed to be added in pairs, it
seems unlikely that you can only add memory modules that are exactly the
same size (256Mb 512Mb etc) as the existing one. You should be able to mix
and match module sizes, as long as the type and speed are the same...

ChrisM

"BAR" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can a 512Mb Module be identcal to a 256Mb Module. Just think about
it.

> Despite the fact that the performance specifications are possibly the
same: that is the beginning and the end.

> What you have written in not so many words, is that a Boeing 737 is
identical to a Boeing 767: think about it. They both are made by Boeing,
both comply with FAA regulations, both run on Avgas, both have two wings,
they both have two engines and so on......just that one is double the
capacity of the other!

> OK I give you the 'not the best brain award'.
May 19, 2004 5:53:18 PM

The P51 is an awesome machine is it not?
I've worked on the PT6 at Pacific airmotive corp.
Are you a CFI on the Mustang? Ya Dumb ? I know!
I feel envy coming on.

May 19, 2004 5:53:21 PM

Are you getting an error message/blue screen? or just rebooting/hanging?

I have a similar problem (see my post 'HP Pavilion ACPI Error' No solution
at the moment I'm afraid)
I'll let you know if I find anything out though.

ChrisM

"Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
> m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
> now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
> 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
> when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
> slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
> test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
> minutes.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 5:53:22 PM

I had that problem because I was given a PC2700 instead
of a PC2100. Blue screen, boot sector corrupt, etc. Now I
got the right type PC2100, no more blue screen, but very
unstable.

Anonymous
May 19, 2004 6:59:08 PM

BAR wrote:
> How can a 512Mb Module be identcal to a 256Mb Module. Just think
> about it.
>
> Despite the fact that the performance specifications are possibly the
> same: that is the beginning and the end.
>
> What you have written in not so many words, is that a Boeing 737 is
> identical to a Boeing 767: think about it. They both are made by
> Boeing, both comply with FAA regulations, both run on Avgas, both
> have two wings, they both have two engines and so on......just that
> one is double the capacity of the other!
>
> OK I give you the 'not the best brain award'.

Quite easily you moron. They can be identical in all but size - of course
they can.

What you've typed is unadulterated B.S.
May 19, 2004 6:59:09 PM

Sorry Cerridwen, But Aircraft is one area that I'm the
expert in. I've been a Aircraft Mechanic since 1977 a
licensed Mechanic since 1984 and both the 737 and 767
burn Jet A.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 7:49:44 PM

Is it possible that your power supply is marginal and the extra stick
of Ram is the last straw? A fairly easy check for this would be to
boot without any internal drives plugged in and/or with the minimum
storage setup you can run with.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 03:10:41 -0700, "Adriaan"

>I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
>m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
>now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
>768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
>when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
>slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
>test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
>minutes.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 7:49:45 PM

does your motherboard support more than 512 meg of ram.. check your motherboard documentation
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:34:55 PM

Never had a chance to fly the P51, the greatest WWII ear
fighter. It held its own until the early 1950s. If I had
millions in the bank I'd have one in the hanger, along with
a Corsair and a few other great fighters, P47, F8F. But if
I was restricted to one airplane I'd want the T1 Jayhawk.
The PT6 is an awesome engine, the big versions are over
1,500 hp.

"MAP" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| The P51 is an awesome machine is it not?
| I've worked on the PT6 at Pacific airmotive corp.
| Are you a CFI on the Mustang? Ya Dumb ? I know!
| I feel envy coming on.

| >|
| >| That is also correct
| >|
| >| You have just received another best brain award.
| >|
| >| --
| >| Hope This Helps
| >| Haus
| >| Not a MVP
| >| Not a MS-MVP
| >| Not nothing just a good ole boy..;)
| >| <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| >planes,

| >|
| >|

| >.

May 19, 2004 9:06:46 PM

they should work, but we do not live in a perfect world, and it seems
that the 2 memories are not totally compatible with each other.
Take the new memory back and ask if you can change it with another brand and
try again.

"Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
> m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
> now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
> 768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
> when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
> slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
> test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
> minutes.

---
May 19, 2004 9:06:47 PM

did you try swapping slots? put the larger stick in slot 1. I had the same
problem with mine and the swap fixed it.
good luck
Papatoes
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 9:06:48 PM

Tried it. No go... thanx anyhoo.

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 12:11:43 AM

"Adriaan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
>m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
>now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
>768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
>when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
>slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
>test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
>minutes.

RAM from different manufacturers, or even from the same manufacturer
but different production lots, can have internal differences in the
material composition and/or the physical layout of the RAM chips.

These differences can affect the strength and timing of the signals
returned from the RAM and Windows is sensitive to these differences,

The fact that the two modules work okay by themselves but there are
problems when they are both installed confirms that you have this type
of problem.

The only "cure" is to replace the older 256 mb module with a new one
that is *identical* (manufacturer and production lot) to the new 512
mb module. Or just run with the 512 mb module by itself.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

May 20, 2004 1:01:51 AM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 08:46:57 -0500, "Haus" <youknow@Iwillslapyou>
wrote:

>Hello Adrian
>I have found that XP is very ram friendly but at the same time it is very
>picky, where on the older OS mixing ram sizes would not cause any problems,
>it is just the opposite with XP. For example if you want 768meg ram use
>3x256, provided you have 3 slots or 2x256, 2x512 and so on, just make sure
>they are the same size and speed.
>This is just what I have found with computer upgrading, I have no idea what
>it is with XP, maybe just my luck.

YMMV but I have got one 128Mb module and 2 * 256Mb modules on my XP
Pro system - and it works fine. (MSI K7 Pro Motherboard).
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 3:46:03 AM

Could one memory stick be double sided and the other is not? I had compatability issues with 2 memory modules of same size but one was double sided and one was not. Once the vendor sent me the double sided version all was fine.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 11:46:56 AM

I wasn't aware that the P51 was an "ear fighter," and I
think you meant "on the hanger," unless you meant "hangar."
No Best Brain award for you.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 5:43:59 PM

I just can't type when I'm tired, too bad the spellchecker
can't tell I meant era and not ear. On the spelling of
hangar, yep, I blew that but in my defense I probably had a
typo and selected the wrong correction.

"Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:fbe701c43e79$4bff1630$a001280a@phx.gbl...

Anonymous
May 20, 2004 10:16:03 PM

Hi,

I am really sorry but I may not be able to give you the exact reasoning behind this. But as far as my knowledge goes its always said to have as much memory as possible on a single chip. Just in case if you need to upgrade always have both the memory chips of the same specifications and CAPACITY i.e if one is 256 MB try to make the other one of 256 MB as well, otherwise the system behaves erratically. I have tried this on numerous computers and it was found to be true.

Thanks,
Alok
May 21, 2004 8:36:02 AM

Adrian,

Assuming the 2 memory modules are compatible with each other, you would probably need to increase the voltage that is made available to the memory slots with both of them installed. I'm not sure of specifics here, but the manufacturer should be able to help you out with voltage values.
May 21, 2004 2:56:06 PM

Find out if the memory is compatible with your motherboard, check what type of RAM your motherboard works on. e.g mine runs on DDR ram. If it is compatible you may have damage the modules. check that the ram slots are secured and that the clips r touching the module. 2.You may have damaged the modules via static electricity, 3. check that the gold pins are not bent.
THIS WAS WRITTEN BY A 12 YR OLD (NO JOKE)
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 4:11:05 PM

Take a look to the BIOS settings, maybe there is the solution of your problem. Well, it's just an opinion.
May 21, 2004 8:41:02 PM

If you have more than two RAM slots have you tried moving the modules to different slots on the mobo?
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 4:16:03 PM

When using DDR modules they are best when both in the same bank are identical in size and speed. i.e. 256 & 256 @ 2100 or 256 & 256 @ 2700
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 4:01:02 AM

Hello,

The answer is there in the question you have given. The problem is with the hardware(memory module). It is the bus speed which is varying. If you need the best case then use both the memory modules of the same make and size.

mailto:raghuveer.sjm@khodaycc.com

Raghu
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 4:51:04 AM

http://217.115.198.3/content/topic/14308/ TYPE Your mobo model number and your issue in google search. Will each module load up by itself? Have you tried swapping them?
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 11:41:02 AM

If the motherboard is a newer dual channel type, you must use identical (down to the same batch) pieces of memory in the two banks. Same size is a given.

----- Adriaan wrote: -----

I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
minutes.
May 24, 2004 5:31:03 AM

the best way to do is buy thesame type of pc2100 ddr ram.
May 25, 2004 5:01:04 AM

Guess you already done that, been there etc. But ofcourse you should do a proper memorytest, and test the mainboard as well. And as you mix one 256 with one 512 Mb module this could also be the problem as many mainboards does not accept two different sizez. In other word you need to upgrade with eithe one extra 256 or two 512 mb modules in order to make it work.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 12:11:02 PM

Check your motherboard manual. Some motherboards have a very specific combination of memory modules that they support. If you don't have the manual check the manufacturers website.

----- Adriaan wrote: -----

I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, with a DFI AD73 pro
m/board. I originally had 256mb PC2100 DDR, and I have
now purchased an identical 512mb module to upgrade to
768mb. The two modules work perfectly by themselves, but
when they're both onboard the system is very unstable and
slow. Sometimes reboots as soon as it gets to the memory
test. If it manages to start up it hangs within five
minutes.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 5:06:08 PM

P51 is great to fly as is the old corsairs, and even the british spitfires. What I would to get my hand on is the old me109, I would also like to fly/fly in an old p-38.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 9:06:54 PM

You can get a Spanish ME109, they flew them well into the
1970s. They have a different engine, I think there are
still some on the market. They are small airplanes, not
much larger than a Beech Bonanza with about 800 hp.

The P38 was nice to fly, from what some of my old flight
instructors told me. They liked it over water because of
the second engine.

"anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| P51 is great to fly as is the old corsairs, and even the
british spitfires. What I would to get my hand on is the old
me109, I would also like to fly/fly in an old p-38.
May 26, 2004 6:16:03 AM

Have you tried swapping the sticks in the slots? In other words, reverse the stick. Put stick 1 in slot 2 and stick 2 in slot 1.
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 6:04:39 PM

I bet you have Flight Simulator

> You can get a Spanish ME109, they flew them well into the
> 1970s. They have a different engine, I think there are
> still some on the market. They are small airplanes, not
> much larger than a Beech Bonanza with about 800 hp.
>
> The P38 was nice to fly, from what some of my old flight
> instructors told me. They liked it over water because of
> the second engine.

> "anonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> | P51 is great to fly as is the old corsairs, and even the
> british spitfires. What I would to get my hand on is the old
> me109, I would also like to fly/fly in an old p-38.

Anonymous
June 26, 2004 9:38:58 AM

Actually, I don't. There are some training devices known as
PCATD that is what I want. As a real airplane pilot, trying
to use toys to fly doesn't work well.
see http://www.aopa.org/asf/asfarticles/sp9707.html or
Google for PCATD to see what is really available.
I did buy a copy of Looking Glass software Flight Unlimited
III and tried it with the keyboard. One of the planes they
use is the Beechjet, an aircraft that I am qualified to fly.
Started the sim which looks nice, my mind said to do things,
like use my little finger on my right hand to reduce power
on the right engine, to press the right rudder pedal, to tap
the right brake with my big toe. I crashes trying to taxi
the computer.
Until I can afford a PCATD, computer games don't thrill me.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

news:o tasIgvWEHA.1888@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...