Closed

Game Pegs CPU At 100% During Install

I'm having problems installing Counter Strike. My 13-year old bought the
retail product. The CPU pegs at 100% as soon as I hit install.

We've tried to install on three machines. Here's what happens on two
machines:

Machine 1
Gateway P4, XPHome, SP2, 1.6gHz, 80gb, 256mb ram, NEC CD-R, Plextor 716a
DVD -/+ RW
Insert CD in EITHER drive, and it autostarts to the install screen just
fine. When we press install, the drive(s) still spins, but sounds
different. We wait and wait and wait, while the install screen sits on
the screen, and nothing happens, except we hear a spinning drive. A
ctrl-alt-del to Taskmanager shows the drive not responding, and the CPU
at 100%, with explorer.exe as the highest mem usage. If we continue to
wait for about 7 minutes, the game will begin to install, but very, very
slowly. Once installed, we played it for a while, and then it locked. We
uninstalled, and then went to reinstall, but have the same problem...the
CD not responding for about 7 minutes, and eventually installs very
slowly, and then locks during play.

Machine 2
Dell P4, XPHome, SP2, 2.4gHz, 1gb ram, Hitachi CD-R, Plextor 708a DVD -/+
RW
Exact same problem as Machine 1, in EITHER drive

At this point, I took the game CD back to BestBuy got another one.
Perhaps a bad CD. Nope, same problems as above.

Machine 3
We decided to try to install the game on an ancient machine in the
garage. 1997 Local PC shop assembled P1, Win98 FE, 200mHz, 192mb ram,
Toshiba CD-R.
It autoran, and the install screen came up, and when we hit install, it
began to install right away.

I cruised the Counter Strike forums, and googled for clues, but no
mention of this problem.

BTW, Machines 1 and 2 install and play other video games, i.e. Halo 1 and
Doom 3, just fine.

I tried it on two Dell Optiplexes, XP Professional SP1 machines at work,
and the older vintage machine (P3, 600mHz, 256mb ram) CPU got pegged at
100%, but did install after about 10 minutes of waiting, and the newer
machine (P4, 3gHz, 1gb ram) worked fine.

Does this sound like a memory allocation setting problem?

TIA
18 answers Last reply
More about game pegs install

    "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having problems installing Counter Strike. My 13-year old bought the
    > retail product. The CPU pegs at 100% as soon as I hit install.

    As everything on the CD is out of date (assuming it is the original
    CounterStrike and not CS:Source that comes with Half-Life2) and was made before
    WindowsXP was invented and you won't be able to play the game on-line without
    serious updates I would recommend not bothering with the CD.

    Simply go to www.steampowered.com and download the steam installer, the small
    600k one (you would have to do this anyway as everything has changed since that
    CD was burned) Install steam and create an account (it's free) then when steam
    is up and running click the browse games button and then click "register a game
    I already own" and give it the CD key from your CD Case and it will immediately
    begin downloading the current version of counter-strike which is 1.6.

    "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in

    > "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm having problems installing Counter Strike. My 13-year old bought
    >> the retail product. The CPU pegs at 100% as soon as I hit install.
    >>

    > As everything on the CD is out of date (assuming it is the original
    > CounterStrike and not CS:Source that comes with Half-Life2) and was
    > made before WindowsXP was invented and you won't be able to play the
    > game on-line without serious updates I would recommend not bothering
    > with the CD.
    >
    > Simply go to www.steampowered.com and download the steam installer,
    > the small 600k one (you would have to do this anyway as everything has
    > changed since that CD was burned) Install steam and create an account
    > (it's free) then when steam is up and running click the browse games
    > button and then click "register a game I already own" and give it the
    > CD key from your CD Case and it will immediately begin downloading the
    > current version of counter-strike which is 1.6.

    Interesting. What we've got is Counter Strike: Condition Zero, from
    Sierra Software. It's a 2-disk set. The box and disks say copyright
    2003, and that it plays on Win98/ME/2000/XP.

    why are you worried about 100% cpu useage? its showing that the program is
    working. every game/installing will use 100%, its not like notepad.......

    --
    From Adam Webb, Overlag
    www.tacticalgamer.com
    "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having problems installing Counter Strike. My 13-year old bought the
    > retail product. The CPU pegs at 100% as soon as I hit install.
    >
    > We've tried to install on three machines. Here's what happens on two
    > machines:
    >
    > Machine 1
    > Gateway P4, XPHome, SP2, 1.6gHz, 80gb, 256mb ram, NEC CD-R, Plextor 716a
    > DVD -/+ RW
    > Insert CD in EITHER drive, and it autostarts to the install screen just
    > fine. When we press install, the drive(s) still spins, but sounds
    > different. We wait and wait and wait, while the install screen sits on
    > the screen, and nothing happens, except we hear a spinning drive. A
    > ctrl-alt-del to Taskmanager shows the drive not responding, and the CPU
    > at 100%, with explorer.exe as the highest mem usage. If we continue to
    > wait for about 7 minutes, the game will begin to install, but very, very
    > slowly. Once installed, we played it for a while, and then it locked. We
    > uninstalled, and then went to reinstall, but have the same problem...the
    > CD not responding for about 7 minutes, and eventually installs very
    > slowly, and then locks during play.
    >
    > Machine 2
    > Dell P4, XPHome, SP2, 2.4gHz, 1gb ram, Hitachi CD-R, Plextor 708a DVD -/+
    > RW
    > Exact same problem as Machine 1, in EITHER drive
    >
    > At this point, I took the game CD back to BestBuy got another one.
    > Perhaps a bad CD. Nope, same problems as above.
    >
    > Machine 3
    > We decided to try to install the game on an ancient machine in the
    > garage. 1997 Local PC shop assembled P1, Win98 FE, 200mHz, 192mb ram,
    > Toshiba CD-R.
    > It autoran, and the install screen came up, and when we hit install, it
    > began to install right away.
    >
    > I cruised the Counter Strike forums, and googled for clues, but no
    > mention of this problem.
    >
    > BTW, Machines 1 and 2 install and play other video games, i.e. Halo 1 and
    > Doom 3, just fine.
    >
    > I tried it on two Dell Optiplexes, XP Professional SP1 machines at work,
    > and the older vintage machine (P3, 600mHz, 256mb ram) CPU got pegged at
    > 100%, but did install after about 10 minutes of waiting, and the newer
    > machine (P4, 3gHz, 1gb ram) worked fine.
    >
    > Does this sound like a memory allocation setting problem?
    >
    > TIA

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in

    > why are you worried about 100% cpu useage? its showing that the
    > program is working. every game/installing will use 100%, its not like
    > notepad.......

    I'm not sure you read the entire posting.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message

    > I'm having problems installing Counter Strike. My 13-year old bought the
    > retail product. The CPU pegs at 100% as soon as I hit install.

    Check your systems for viruses or perhaps Trojan horse activity

    > We've tried to install on three machines. Here's what happens on two
    > machines:
    >
    > Machine 1
    > Gateway P4, XPHome, SP2, 1.6gHz, 80gb, 256mb ram, NEC CD-R, Plextor 716a
    > DVD -/+ RW
    > Insert CD in EITHER drive, and it autostarts to the install screen just
    > fine. When we press install, the drive(s) still spins, but sounds
    > different. We wait and wait and wait, while the install screen sits on
    > the screen, and nothing happens, except we hear a spinning drive. A

    I very much doubt that the issue at hand is an operating system issue or that
    the Sierra HL disk is too old for the systems in question!

    > ctrl-alt-del to Taskmanager shows the drive not responding, and the CPU
    > at 100%, with explorer.exe as the highest mem usage. If we continue to
    > wait for about 7 minutes, the game will begin to install, but very, very
    > slowly. Once installed, we played it for a while, and then it locked. We
    > uninstalled, and then went to reinstall, but have the same problem...the
    > CD not responding for about 7 minutes, and eventually installs very
    > slowly, and then locks during play.
    >
    > Machine 2
    > Dell P4, XPHome, SP2, 2.4gHz, 1gb ram, Hitachi CD-R, Plextor 708a DVD -/+
    > RW
    > Exact same problem as Machine 1, in EITHER drive

    Sounds very much like malicious abuse or perhaps you need to take a good look at
    your systems registry files! Do you log on as the administrator and then go
    online?!! --> Not very smart!!! Would be an indication to me that you do indeed
    have a virus or perhaps a Trojan horse!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in

    >> As everything on the CD is out of date (assuming it is the original
    >> CounterStrike and not CS:Source that comes with Half-Life2) and was
    >> made before WindowsXP was invented and you won't be able to play the
    >> game on-line without serious updates I would recommend not bothering
    >> with the CD.
    >>

    > Interesting. What we've got is Counter Strike: Condition Zero, from
    > Sierra Software. It's a 2-disk set. The box and disks say copyright
    > 2003, and that it plays on Win98/ME/2000/XP.

    Condition Zero was written well after the original counter strike, they are
    similar but different games, both based on the half-life 1 engine, both owned by
    valve, both distributed in retail form by sierra/vivendi and both requiring
    steam for on-line play. However Condition Zero has a single player mode and can
    be used without steam if you don't want to play on-line.

    The same applies to CZ with regards to installing steam, feeding it your CD key
    and downloading the most up to date version without need for the CD though and
    CZ has had lots of patches since the CD was released
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having problems installing Counter Strike. My 13-year old bought the
    > retail product. The CPU pegs at 100% as soon as I hit install.
    >
    > We've tried to install on three machines. Here's what happens on two
    > machines:
    >
    > Machine 1
    > Gateway P4, XPHome, SP2, 1.6gHz, 80gb, 256mb ram, NEC CD-R, Plextor 716a
    > DVD -/+ RW
    > Insert CD in EITHER drive, and it autostarts to the install screen just
    > fine. When we press install, the drive(s) still spins, but sounds
    > different. We wait and wait and wait, while the install screen sits on
    > the screen, and nothing happens, except we hear a spinning drive. A
    > ctrl-alt-del to Taskmanager shows the drive not responding, and the CPU
    > at 100%, with explorer.exe as the highest mem usage. If we continue to
    > wait for about 7 minutes, the game will begin to install, but very, very
    > slowly. Once installed, we played it for a while, and then it locked. We
    > uninstalled, and then went to reinstall, but have the same problem...the
    > CD not responding for about 7 minutes, and eventually installs very
    > slowly, and then locks during play.
    >
    > Machine 2
    > Dell P4, XPHome, SP2, 2.4gHz, 1gb ram, Hitachi CD-R, Plextor 708a DVD -/+
    > RW
    > Exact same problem as Machine 1, in EITHER drive
    >
    > At this point, I took the game CD back to BestBuy got another one.
    > Perhaps a bad CD. Nope, same problems as above.
    >
    > Machine 3
    > We decided to try to install the game on an ancient machine in the
    > garage. 1997 Local PC shop assembled P1, Win98 FE, 200mHz, 192mb ram,
    > Toshiba CD-R.
    > It autoran, and the install screen came up, and when we hit install, it
    > began to install right away.
    >
    > I cruised the Counter Strike forums, and googled for clues, but no
    > mention of this problem.
    >
    > BTW, Machines 1 and 2 install and play other video games, i.e. Halo 1 and
    > Doom 3, just fine.
    >
    > I tried it on two Dell Optiplexes, XP Professional SP1 machines at work,
    > and the older vintage machine (P3, 600mHz, 256mb ram) CPU got pegged at
    > 100%, but did install after about 10 minutes of waiting, and the newer
    > machine (P4, 3gHz, 1gb ram) worked fine.
    >
    > Does this sound like a memory allocation setting problem?
    >
    > TIA

    i think your install drive is incompatible with the copy protection, or
    perhaps you have virtual drive software installed [nero, alcohol and
    clonecd/dvd all contain these] which can trigger copy protection.
    i had identical problems with con zero, [steam support didn't respond].
    i managed to get around the problem by copying the install cds to hdd and
    installing from there. alternatively, if your machines are networked you
    could share an optical drive on a different pc, stick the cd in there &
    install to required pc.

    dr ratt
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in

> [...]
    >>
    >> I tried it on two Dell Optiplexes, XP Professional SP1 machines at
    >> work, and the older vintage machine (P3, 600mHz, 256mb ram) CPU got
    >> pegged at 100%, but did install after about 10 minutes of waiting,
    >> and the newer machine (P4, 3gHz, 1gb ram) worked fine.
    >>
    >> Does this sound like a memory allocation setting problem?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > i think your install drive is incompatible with the copy protection,
    > or perhaps you have virtual drive software installed [nero, alcohol
    > and clonecd/dvd all contain these] which can trigger copy protection.
    > i had identical problems with con zero, [steam support didn't
    > respond]. i managed to get around the problem by copying the install
    > cds to hdd and installing from there. alternatively, if your machines
    > are networked you could share an optical drive on a different pc,
    > stick the cd in there & install to required pc.

    I think you might be on to something.

    Three of the 'bad' machines have either Plextor DVD -/+ RW or Teac CD-RW
    drives that do not have copy protection, but one of those machines has
    Nero, Alcohol, DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink, an other has Nero, DVD
    Decrypter, and DVD Shrink, and the third has only Nero.

    I have three machines that CS will install on, and none of them has any
    CD or DVD type Decrypting or copying software. (But, another machine
    that won't install CS has none of this type software on it. This little
    incconsistency has got me stumped, but...)

    Anyway, I'm going to try and copy both disk 1 and disk 2 to the same
    folder on my hard drive, and install from there.

    It's hard to believe that a DVD or CD backup software such as Nero would
    cause this problem, since so many people use these programs, yet I've
    heard nothing on the CS forum about this.

    I guess the acid test would be to uninstall Nero, Alcohol, DVD Decrypter,
    and DVD Shrink on 'bad' machines, and try to install CS.

    Thanks,
    Jeff
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net> wrote in
    >
    >>> As everything on the CD is out of date (assuming it is the original
    >>> CounterStrike and not CS:Source that comes with Half-Life2) and was
    >>> made before WindowsXP was invented and you won't be able to play the
    >>> game on-line without serious updates I would recommend not bothering
    >>> with the CD.
    >>>

    >> Interesting. What we've got is Counter Strike: Condition Zero, from
    >> Sierra Software. It's a 2-disk set. The box and disks say copyright
    >> 2003, and that it plays on Win98/ME/2000/XP.
    >
    > Condition Zero was written well after the original counter strike,
    > they are similar but different games, both based on the half-life 1
    > engine, both owned by valve, both distributed in retail form by
    > sierra/vivendi and both requiring steam for on-line play. However
    > Condition Zero has a single player mode and can be used without steam
    > if you don't want to play on-line.
    >
    > The same applies to CZ with regards to installing steam, feeding it
    > your CD key and downloading the most up to date version without need
    > for the CD though and CZ has had lots of patches since the CD was
    > released

    Thanks for the info. We did copy both CDs to a folder on the hard drive
    and were able to install from there. We then downloaded all the patches
    and updates. (BTW, when you see Bruce and Jeff in this thread, it's me
    and my son. Sometimes he uses my ID.)

    Now my son is having another problem. He's created another post to
    describe it. <Xns962AE509DAE1Dstetson@216.196.97.136>

    We're working on that, now.

    Thanks again,
    Bruce (the dad)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Backbone" <backboneaccessflaps@flapscomcast.net> wrote in

    > "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm having problems installing Counter Strike. My 13-year old bought
    >> the retail product. The CPU pegs at 100% as soon as I hit install.
    >
    > Check your systems for viruses or perhaps Trojan horse activity
    >
    >> We've tried to install on three machines. Here's what happens on two
    >> machines:
    >>
    >> Machine 1
    >> Gateway P4, XPHome, SP2, 1.6gHz, 80gb, 256mb ram, NEC CD-R, Plextor
    >> 716a DVD -/+ RW
    >> Insert CD in EITHER drive, and it autostarts to the install screen
    >> just fine. When we press install, the drive(s) still spins, but
    >> sounds different. We wait and wait and wait, while the install
    >> screen sits on the screen, and nothing happens, except we hear a
    >> spinning drive. A
    >
    > I very much doubt that the issue at hand is an operating system issue
    > or that the Sierra HL disk is too old for the systems in question!
    >
    >> ctrl-alt-del to Taskmanager shows the drive not responding, and the
    >> CPU at 100%, with explorer.exe as the highest mem usage. If we
    >> continue to wait for about 7 minutes, the game will begin to install,
    >> but very, very slowly. Once installed, we played it for a while, and
    >> then it locked. We uninstalled, and then went to reinstall, but have
    >> the same problem...the CD not responding for about 7 minutes, and
    >> eventually installs very slowly, and then locks during play.
    >>
    >> Machine 2
    >> Dell P4, XPHome, SP2, 2.4gHz, 1gb ram, Hitachi CD-R, Plextor 708a DVD
    >> -/+ RW
    >> Exact same problem as Machine 1, in EITHER drive
    >
    > Sounds very much like malicious abuse or perhaps you need to take a
    > good look at your systems registry files! Do you log on as the
    > administrator and then go online?!! --> Not very smart!!! Would be an
    > indication to me that you do indeed have a virus or perhaps a Trojan
    > horse!

    Hi,

    All the machines in the house have only one user, the administrator (and
    of course a 'guest'), so no log on is needed.

    We have run AdAware, Spybot S&D, HiJack This, and have checked the
    process in the TaskManager, and in the Startup tab of System
    Configuration Utility (Start, Run, msconfig), but we'll check again.

    Thanks,
    Bruce
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    most programs show not responding when installing...

    how long you waiting?

    anyway as someone else said, any CD version of HL1 based games is WELL out
    of date and wont work, you need steam

    --
    From Adam Webb, Overlag
    > "Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in
    >
    > > why are you worried about 100% cpu useage? its showing that the
    > > program is working. every game/installing will use 100%, its not like
    > > notepad.......
    > >

    > I'm not sure you read the entire posting.

    ---
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    > most programs show not responding when installing...
    >
    > how long you waiting?

    Anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes.

    > anyway as someone else said, any CD version of HL1 based games is WELL
    > out of date and wont work, you need steam

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    --
    Remove *flaps* to reply
    > "Backbone" <backboneaccessflaps@flapscomcast.net> wrote in
    >
    > > "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> I'm having problems installing Counter Strike. My 13-year old bought
    > >> the retail product. The CPU pegs at 100% as soon as I hit install.
    > >
    > > Check your systems for viruses or perhaps Trojan horse activity
    > >
    > >> We've tried to install on three machines. Here's what happens on two
    > >> machines:
    > >>
    > >> Machine 1
    > >> Gateway P4, XPHome, SP2, 1.6gHz, 80gb, 256mb ram, NEC CD-R, Plextor
    > >> 716a DVD -/+ RW
    > >> Insert CD in EITHER drive, and it autostarts to the install screen
    > >> just fine. When we press install, the drive(s) still spins, but
    > >> sounds different. We wait and wait and wait, while the install
    > >> screen sits on the screen, and nothing happens, except we hear a
    > >> spinning drive. A
    > >
    > > I very much doubt that the issue at hand is an operating system issue
    > > or that the Sierra HL disk is too old for the systems in question!
    > >
    > >> ctrl-alt-del to Taskmanager shows the drive not responding, and the
    > >> CPU at 100%, with explorer.exe as the highest mem usage. If we
    > >> continue to wait for about 7 minutes, the game will begin to install,
    > >> but very, very slowly. Once installed, we played it for a while, and
    > >> then it locked. We uninstalled, and then went to reinstall, but have
    > >> the same problem...the CD not responding for about 7 minutes, and
    > >> eventually installs very slowly, and then locks during play.
    > >>
    > >> Machine 2
    > >> Dell P4, XPHome, SP2, 2.4gHz, 1gb ram, Hitachi CD-R, Plextor 708a DVD
    > >> -/+ RW
    > >> Exact same problem as Machine 1, in EITHER drive
    > >
    > > Sounds very much like malicious abuse or perhaps you need to take a
    > > good look at your systems registry files! Do you log on as the
    > > administrator and then go online?!! --> Not very smart!!! Would be an
    > > indication to me that you do indeed have a virus or perhaps a Trojan
    > > horse!
    > >
    > Hi,
    >
    > All the machines in the house have only one user, the administrator (and
    > of course a 'guest'), so no log on is needed.

    What do you mean --> you logon as the administrator and then go-online!! Not
    Evan a firewall can protect you -- logging on as administrator gives a malicious
    user to do what ever he/she wants to do to your machine! I bet you don't have
    your terminal server disabled? Huge mistake -- most people don't realize that
    the when xp-pro os is installed on a system it's default setup is quite powerful
    in the wrong hands! If you think that no one from the outside can log onto your
    system when logging as an admin your quite wrong!

    Get yourself 2 books i.e. (mastering) Using Windows XP and Windows XP Registry.
    Both books explain how to properly setup a secure and reliable XP machine

    > We have run AdAware, Spybot S&D, HiJack This, and have checked the
    > process in the TaskManager, and in the Startup tab of System
    > Configuration Utility (Start, Run, msconfig), but we'll check again.
    that stuff won't help if there is a talented malicious attacker -- ever notice
    your event logger crash i.e. is a sure sign that someone has logged onto your
    system. ever set up you local policies....
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Backbone" <backboneaccessflaps@flapscomcast.net> wrote in message

    > --
    > Remove *flaps* to reply
    > "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> "Backbone" <backboneaccessflaps@flapscomcast.net> wrote in
    >>
    >> > "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message

    >> > Check your systems for viruses or perhaps Trojan horse activity

    >> > I very much doubt that the issue at hand is an operating system issue
    >> > or that the Sierra HL disk is too old for the systems in question!

    >> > Sounds very much like malicious abuse or perhaps you need to take a
    >> > good look at your systems registry files! Do you log on as the
    >> > administrator and then go online?!! --> Not very smart!!! Would be an
    >> > indication to me that you do indeed have a virus or perhaps a Trojan
    >> > horse!
    >> >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> All the machines in the house have only one user, the administrator (and
    >> of course a 'guest'), so no log on is needed.
    >
    > What do you mean --> you logon as the administrator and then go-online!!
    > Not
    > Evan a firewall can protect you -- logging on as administrator gives a
    > malicious
    > user to do what ever he/she wants to do to your machine! I bet you don't
    > have
    > your terminal server disabled? Huge mistake -- most people don't realize
    > that
    > the when xp-pro os is installed on a system it's default setup is quite
    > powerful
    > in the wrong hands! If you think that no one from the outside can log onto
    > your
    > system when logging as an admin your quite wrong!
    >

    > Get yourself 2 books i.e. (mastering) Using Windows XP and Windows XP
    > Registry.
    > Both books explain how to properly setup a secure and reliable XP machine
    >

    >> We have run AdAware, Spybot S&D, HiJack This, and have checked the
    >> process in the TaskManager, and in the Startup tab of System
    >> Configuration Utility (Start, Run, msconfig), but we'll check again.
    > that stuff won't help if there is a talented malicious attacker -- ever
    > notice
    > your event logger crash i.e. is a sure sign that someone has logged onto
    > your
    > system. ever set up you local policies....

    Maybe he just bought a bad CD?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    KCB wrote:

    Mass Snippage

    > Maybe he just bought a bad CD?

    It wasn't bad, it just got caught up in the wrong crowd.

    --
    Bigjobs
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    "Backbone" <backboneaccessflaps@flapscomcast.net> wrote in message

    > --
    > Remove *flaps* to reply
    > "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> "Backbone" <backboneaccessflaps@flapscomcast.net> wrote in
    >>
    >> > "Jeff" <Jeff@invalid.com> wrote in message

    >> > Check your systems for viruses or perhaps Trojan horse activity

    >> > I very much doubt that the issue at hand is an operating system issue
    >> > or that the Sierra HL disk is too old for the systems in question!

    >> > Sounds very much like malicious abuse or perhaps you need to take a
    >> > good look at your systems registry files! Do you log on as the
    >> > administrator and then go online?!! --> Not very smart!!! Would be an
    >> > indication to me that you do indeed have a virus or perhaps a Trojan
    >> > horse!
    >> >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> All the machines in the house have only one user, the administrator (and
    >> of course a 'guest'), so no log on is needed.
    >
    > What do you mean --> you logon as the administrator and then go-online!!
    > Not
    > Evan a firewall can protect you -- logging on as administrator gives a
    > malicious
    > user to do what ever he/she wants to do to your machine! I bet you don't
    > have
    > your terminal server disabled? Huge mistake -- most people don't realize
    > that
    > the when xp-pro os is installed on a system it's default setup is quite
    > powerful
    > in the wrong hands! If you think that no one from the outside can log onto
    > your
    > system when logging as an admin your quite wrong!
    >

    > Get yourself 2 books i.e. (mastering) Using Windows XP and Windows XP
    > Registry.
    > Both books explain how to properly setup a secure and reliable XP machine
    >

    >> We have run AdAware, Spybot S&D, HiJack This, and have checked the
    >> process in the TaskManager, and in the Startup tab of System
    >> Configuration Utility (Start, Run, msconfig), but we'll check again.
    > that stuff won't help if there is a talented malicious attacker -- ever
    > notice
    > your event logger crash i.e. is a sure sign that someone has logged onto
    > your
    > system. ever set up you local policies....

    Isn't that what SP2 did on our behalf....?
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    <:snip>
    > Isn't that what SP2 did on our behalf....?
    I don't use SP2 is far too un-user friendly whereas I like to be able to block
    on the fly! I installed sp2 on one of my machines. sp2 blocked my firewall as
    well as other malicious activity devices from operating correctly. not only that
    I had several major issues when trying to log on to a domain server. At this
    point IMHO SP2 does more harm than good!

CPUs Video Games