Windows Will Not Load...Locks Up, HELP

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 19, 2004 11:30:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

I'm running Windows XP. On turning on my computer,
I get the windows screen with the scrolling bar. The
bar stops scrolling, and the machine will not load.
I do a reset, and get several choices, such as, "load last
known good configuration". When I choose that
I get a huge amount of repetitive single line scrolling.
I've tried swapping out the HD with one from another computer,
swapped out the video card, re-inserted the mememory.
This computer was running normally,,but we had a fierce
thunder storm in the evening, lots of very heavy lighting.
Could the motherboard have been damaged?

TIA,

Dennis

More about : windows load locks

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2004 1:37:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

Yes
"Dennis" <Dennis_The_Menace@no_spam.net> wrote in message

> I'm running Windows XP. On turning on my computer,
> I get the windows screen with the scrolling bar. The
> bar stops scrolling, and the machine will not load.
> I do a reset, and get several choices, such as, "load last
> known good configuration". When I choose that
> I get a huge amount of repetitive single line scrolling.
> I've tried swapping out the HD with one from another computer,
> swapped out the video card, re-inserted the mememory.
> This computer was running normally,,but we had a fierce
> thunder storm in the evening, lots of very heavy lighting.
> Could the motherboard have been damaged?
>
> TIA,
>
> Dennis

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2004 5:51:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

There's a chance. Try booting from the XP CD
and choose the repair installation option.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 07:30:48 -0500, in
<10d8cfo10od0l77@corp.supernews.com>
Dennis scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance
June 19, 2004 6:44:38 PM

"Dennis" <Dennis_The_Menace@no_spam.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I'm running Windows XP. On turning on my computer,
> I get the windows screen with the scrolling bar. The
> bar stops scrolling, and the machine will not load.
> I do a reset, and get several choices, such as, "load last
> known good configuration". When I choose that
> I get a huge amount of repetitive single line scrolling.
> I've tried swapping out the HD with one from another computer,
> swapped out the video card, re-inserted the mememory.
> This computer was running normally,,but we had a fierce
> thunder storm in the evening, lots of very heavy lighting.
> Could the motherboard have been damaged?
>
> TIA,
>
> Dennis

yes and get power surge protction....
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2004 7:25:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

<snip>
> > This computer was running normally,,but we had a fierce
> > thunder storm in the evening, lots of very heavy lighting.
> > Could the motherboard have been damaged?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Dennis
> >
> yes and get power surge protction....

And, unless you put it at the breaker box, surge protection is almost
useless.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2004 7:26:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

> I'm running Windows XP. On turning on my computer,
> I get the windows screen with the scrolling bar. The
> bar stops scrolling, and the machine will not load.
> I do a reset, and get several choices, such as, "load last
> known good configuration". When I choose that
> I get a huge amount of repetitive single line scrolling.
> I've tried swapping out the HD with one from another computer,
> swapped out the video card, re-inserted the mememory.
> This computer was running normally,,but we had a fierce
> thunder storm in the evening, lots of very heavy lighting.
> Could the motherboard have been damaged?

More likely damaged software...

Since you have a spare drive (you swapped it out). Format and reinstall
(don't need to reactivate Windows). If XP works here then you know that you
have a software problem on the original drive.
June 19, 2004 7:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

In article <0XYAc.809695$oR5.142051@pd7tw3no>, postmaster@127.0.0.1 says...

>> I'm running Windows XP. On turning on my computer,
>> I get the windows screen with the scrolling bar. The
>> bar stops scrolling, and the machine will not load.
>> I do a reset, and get several choices, such as, "load last
>> known good configuration". When I choose that
>> I get a huge amount of repetitive single line scrolling.
>> I've tried swapping out the HD with one from another computer,
>> swapped out the video card, re-inserted the mememory.
>> This computer was running normally,,but we had a fierce
>> thunder storm in the evening, lots of very heavy lighting.
>> Could the motherboard have been damaged?
>
>More likely damaged software...
>
>Since you have a spare drive (you swapped it out). Format and reinstall
>(don't need to reactivate Windows). If XP works here then you know that
you
>have a software problem on the original drive.

No, I had the same problems with the spare drive.

--
"Be suspicious of anybody who claims to know the truth."
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

I had the same problem on my pc running XP, It was getting to the scrolling
bar then resetting it self, I eventually got it going but you'll have to get
your orginal windows cd out and boot from it and choose the Recovery
console(if you don't have the disk you can download the reovery console from
M$ website, you will need 6 floppy disks). Once your in DOS (black screen
with a flashing cursor) type in the following commands exactly
1) chkdsk /r (this will check you hard disk for errors, it will take a
while depending on size of your hard disk)

then
2) fixboot
3) fixmbr

after the above three type
4) exit

and reset your PC......and hopefully your back in business.

Good Luck

"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > I'm running Windows XP. On turning on my computer,
> > I get the windows screen with the scrolling bar. The
> > bar stops scrolling, and the machine will not load.
> > I do a reset, and get several choices, such as, "load last
> > known good configuration". When I choose that
> > I get a huge amount of repetitive single line scrolling.
> > I've tried swapping out the HD with one from another computer,
> > swapped out the video card, re-inserted the mememory.
> > This computer was running normally,,but we had a fierce
> > thunder storm in the evening, lots of very heavy lighting.
> > Could the motherboard have been damaged?
>
> More likely damaged software...
>
> Since you have a spare drive (you swapped it out). Format and reinstall
> (don't need to reactivate Windows). If XP works here then you know that
you
> have a software problem on the original drive.

June 19, 2004 9:32:30 PM

"Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> <snip>
> > > This computer was running normally,,but we had a fierce
> > > thunder storm in the evening, lots of very heavy lighting.
> > > Could the motherboard have been damaged?
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > >
> > > Dennis
> > >
> > yes and get power surge protction....
>
> And, unless you put it at the breaker box, surge protection is almost
> useless.

you are a knob aren't you? ever heard of coils?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 1:04:55 AM

"Brian" <b_dyke@web.de> wrote in message

> "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > <snip>

> > > yes and get power surge protction....
> >
> > And, unless you put it at the breaker box, surge protection is almost
> > useless.
> >
> you are a knob aren't you? ever heard of coils?

ya... you burn them to keep mosquitos away.

Surge protection at your PC - like you find in a powerbar, etc. will do
nothing for protecting your computer. Try Google.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 3:05:11 AM

Brian wrote:
> "Noozer" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> <snip>

>>> yes and get power surge protction....
>>
>> And, unless you put it at the breaker box, surge protection is almost
>> useless.
>>

> you are a knob aren't you? ever heard of coils?

So why would someone use contraceptive devices? Unless, I suppose to help
with err.. urge protection?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 5:29:35 AM

Noozer wrote:
> <snip>
>>> This computer was running normally,,but we had a fierce
>>> thunder storm in the evening, lots of very heavy lighting.
>>> Could the motherboard have been damaged?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Dennis
>>>
>> yes and get power surge protction....
>
> And, unless you put it at the breaker box, surge protection is almost
> useless.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!
June 20, 2004 5:29:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

In article <cb2p9j.22g.1@kadaitcha.cx>, nospam@kadaitcha.cx says...

>Noozer wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> yes and get power surge protction....
>>
>> And, unless you put it at the breaker box, surge protection is almost
>> useless.
>
>BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!

It's not nice to laugh at another's misfortune, even if he is
a "yank".

Dennis

--
"Be suspicious of anybody who claims to know the truth."
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 7:53:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

I would suspect memory or power supply.
later,
dave

!