I got rid of my wireless mouse and bought one with a cable

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

I was using a wireless microsoft optical mouse, and I used it with
rechargable batteries.
I got bored of changing the batteries all the time so got another one with a
cable (optical too).
I think that its better now.
Anyway there is no real reason to use a wireless one since I am using it on
my desk all the time.

opinions?

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

---

Wireless for most is a mere extravagence, if you don't
REALLY need it as you appear not to it is always best to
go hardwired.

(http://www.grisoft.com).
16/5/2004

>.

peter

Hi,

You should not use rechargeable battery for MS wireless mouse, instead you should use alkaline battery.
I use akaline battery for my MS wireless mouse and the batteries (2) only need to be changed every 6 months.

Peter

----- Kenny wrote: -----

I was using a wireless microsoft optical mouse, and I used it with
rechargable batteries.
I got bored of changing the batteries all the time so got another one with a
cable (optical too).
I think that its better now.
Anyway there is no real reason to use a wireless one since I am using it on
my desk all the time.

opinions?

--
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

---

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Why pay for batteries when you can use a cable and power the mouse for free?
It is also an ecological factor... think of all those wireless mice everyone
has are consuming batteries that will end up as trash.
That was the reason I preferred rechargeable ones.... Batteries are very
toxic to the environment.
Now I have a remote control for my TV tuner that I have batteries inside
them but there a reason for using the remote.
But what is the point for using a wireless mouse if you only use it on your
desk?

Kenny S

"Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You should not use rechargeable battery for MS wireless mouse, instead you
should use alkaline battery.
> I use akaline battery for my MS wireless mouse and the batteries (2) only
need to be changed every 6 months.

> Peter
>

> ----- Kenny wrote: -----
>
> I was using a wireless microsoft optical mouse, and I used it with
> rechargable batteries.
> I got bored of changing the batteries all the time so got another one
with a
> cable (optical too).
> I think that its better now.
> Anyway there is no real reason to use a wireless one since I am using
it on
> my desk all the time.
>
> opinions?
>
> --
> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic"
> ***Arthur C. Clarke***
>

> ---

---

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

However thanks for the info... my rechargable batteries worked for only a
week before they needed recharging.

"Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> You should not use rechargeable battery for MS wireless mouse, instead you
should use alkaline battery.
> I use akaline battery for my MS wireless mouse and the batteries (2) only
need to be changed every 6 months.

> Peter
>

> ----- Kenny wrote: -----
>
> I was using a wireless microsoft optical mouse, and I used it with
> rechargable batteries.
> I got bored of changing the batteries all the time so got another one
with a
> cable (optical too).
> I think that its better now.
> Anyway there is no real reason to use a wireless one since I am using
it on
> my desk all the time.
>
> opinions?
>
> --
> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic"
> ***Arthur C. Clarke***
>

> ---

---

I've just replaced my right-handed only Logitech Cordless Mouseman
Optical with an MS symmetrical Wireless Optical Mouse as I'm
left-handed. It's supposed to last upto 6 months before replacing the 2
AA batteries - if I get 3 months out of it, I'll be very pleased. I get
about a week with NiCads with the Logitech & about a month with
alkalines.

AA sized NiCad batteries of standard capacity (lets say ~850mA/hr) will
have about 3rd the capacity of alkaline. NiMH rechargeable batteries are
coming down in price & going up in capacity - AA 2.2A/hr is the highest
I've heard of. I no longer buy NiCads due to their toxicity, NiMH are
far more eco-friendly & suffer far less from memory effects when
trickle-charging. Neither NiCads nor NiMH store charges for that long -
they have a high self-discharge rate compared to non-rechargeables & are
poor in low drain applications. Put one in a wall clock & see just how
long it doesn't last. I've stopped replacing aging NiCads in remotes for
the same reason

I'm disappointed that the current IntelliPoint s/w (v5.0) doesn't allow
control over left/right scrolling speed - it's so slow, it far quicker
just to grab the scrollbar, making this function fairly useless IMO!
This can be application dependant; Word seems usable. What is included
is acceleration on vertical scrolling which *is* highly useful!

Your point regarding frivolous use of batteries is spot on. I trust you
have Power Management also enabled (which seems to be fairly flawless
for me under WinXP, unlike W98 which took months to get ACPI Standby
mode working most of the time.

When I need to replace my MS Office keyboard, it will be with a wireless
model - I hate trailing cables & am a big fan of Bluetooth devices. For
those of you that either don't approve or see the point of cordless
devices - don't buy them - no one is forcing you :)

Kenny - typed:
> However thanks for the info... my rechargeable batteries worked for
> only a week before they needed recharging.
>
> "Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> You should not use rechargeable battery for MS wireless mouse,
>> instead you should use alkaline battery. I use alkaline battery for
>> my MS wireless mouse and the batteries (2) only
> need to be changed every 6 months.
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> ----- Kenny wrote: -----
>>
>> I was using a wireless microsoft optical mouse, and I used it
>> with rechargeable batteries.
>> I got bored of changing the batteries all the time so got
>> another one with a cable (optical too).
>> I think that its better now.
>> Anyway there is no real reason to use a wireless one since I am
>> using it on my desk all the time.
>>
>> opinions?
>>
>> --
>> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
>> magic"
>> ***Arthur C. Clarke***
>>

>> ---
>>

> ---

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Hello Lemon Jelly,

I do have power managment enabled....
as for the scrolling speed (I think you mean the up or down movment) you can
download
tweak ui for windows XP , download here:
When you run it go to the MOUSE>WHEEL and change the number of likes to
scroll by.

I have this setting set to 5.

"Lemon Jelly" <hhh@aaa.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > "Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> You should not use rechargeable battery for MS wireless mouse,
> >> instead you should use alkaline battery. I use alkaline battery for
> >> my MS wireless mouse and the batteries (2) only
> > need to be changed every 6 months.
> >>
> >> Peter
> >>

> >> ----- Kenny wrote: -----
> >>
> >> I was using a wireless microsoft optical mouse, and I used it
> >> with rechargeable batteries.
> >> I got bored of changing the batteries all the time so got
> >> another one with a cable (optical too).
> >> I think that its better now.
> >> Anyway there is no real reason to use a wireless one since I am
> >> using it on my desk all the time.
> >>
> >> opinions?
> >>
> >> --
> >> "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from

---

Hello Kenny

Kenny - typed:
> Hello Lemon Jelly,
>
> I do have power managment enabled....
> as for the scrolling speed (I think you mean the up or down movment)
> you can download

The vertical scrolling now has controllable acceleration with v5.0 of
the MS s/w which can be turned off if required. The new left/right
scrolling function doesn't have any speed settings (yet). I have the
older version of TweakUI that allows easy setting of autologon that the
latest version lacks though this can be set elsewhere.

The best idea I've seen for a cordless optical mouse is a combined
charger/receiver - possibly powered off the USB port rather than a
separate PSU.

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
> When you run it go to the MOUSE>WHEEL and change the number of likes
> to scroll by.
>
> I have this setting set to 5.
>

> "Lemon Jelly" <hhh@aaa.com> wrote in message
>> I've just replaced my right-handed only Logitech Cordless Mouseman
>> Optical with an MS symmetrical Wireless Optical Mouse as I'm
>> left-handed. It's supposed to last upto 6 months before replacing
>> the 2 AA batteries - if I get 3 months out of it, I'll be very
>> pleased. I get about a week with NiCads with the Logitech & about a
>> month with alkalines.
>>
>> AA sized NiCad batteries of standard capacity (lets say ~850mA/hr)
>> will have about 3rd the capacity of alkaline. NiMH rechargeable
>> batteries are coming down in price & going up in capacity - AA
>> 2.2A/hr is the highest I've heard of. I no longer buy NiCads due to
>> their toxicity, NiMH are
>> far more eco-friendly & suffer far less from memory effects when
>> trickle-charging. Neither NiCads nor NiMH store charges for that
>> long - they have a high self-discharge rate compared to
>> non-rechargeables & are poor in low drain applications. Put one in a
>> wall clock & see just how long it doesn't last. I've stopped
>> replacing aging NiCads in remotes for the same reason
>>
>> I'm disappointed that the current IntelliPoint s/w (v5.0) doesn't
>> allow control over left/right scrolling speed - it's so slow, it far
>> quicker just to grab the scrollbar, making this function fairly
>> useless IMO!
>> This can be application dependant; Word seems usable. What is
>> included
>> is acceleration on vertical scrolling which *is* highly useful!
>>
>> Your point regarding frivolous use of batteries is spot on. I trust
>> you have Power Management also enabled (which seems to be fairly
>> flawless
>> for me under WinXP, unlike W98 which took months to get ACPI Standby
>> mode working most of the time.
>>
>> When I need to replace my MS Office keyboard, it will be with a
>> wireless model - I hate trailing cables & am a big fan of Bluetooth
>> devices. For those of you that either don't approve or see the point
>> of cordless devices - don't buy them - no one is forcing you :)
>>

>> Kenny - typed:
>>> However thanks for the info... my rechargeable batteries worked for
>>> only a week before they needed recharging.
>>>
>>> "Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> need to be changed every 6 months.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Mine need changing every few weeks!

Clarke***

Date: 16/5/2004

>.

> The new left/right
> scrolling function doesn't have any speed settings (yet). I have the
> older version of TweakUI that allows easy setting of autologon that
> the latest version lacks though this can be set elsewhere.

Correction: Intellipoint v5.0 does have L/R scroll speed settings - I
had the wrong mouse selected. Am now very happy with it apart from the
fact that every time MS introduces new features, some old ones get
removed such as not being able to assign F keys to buttons. I'll have a
look in the registry.

Regards