a good deal...I'd say

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I'm not a fan of Samsung products... I've had problems with all of them no
matter if they're CD ROM drives, floppy drives, memory, or whatever. By the
way, I've had problems with a Samsung CD ROM drive before, a floppy drive
before, and a memory module from Samsung before. The memory module will
always make the computer restart. Buy OCZ or some other higher end memory
module. By the way, I shop at newegg for most of my computer parts and they
sure usually have the best deals.
"Robert Jackson Marley" <xxrabramson1xx@xxsi.rr.comxx> wrote in message
> only 256...average deal...go with 512 or 1gb sticks
> imho
> "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > some cheap RAM I saw on newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-147-108&DEPA=0

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

My experience is just the opposite, with optical drives in particular.

But you need to understand that OCZ is not a memory maker at all, they
just take memory made by others and "private label" it (ditto for MOST
of the firms that people recommend, like Mushkin, Kingston, etc.). And
a very large portion of their memory is made by .... Samsung. The 5
largest memory makers in the world are Samsung, Micron, Infineon, Elpida
and Hynix, in that order (I beleive; these numbers move around a bit).
They account for a huge percentage of the total memory production, and,
again, many of the firms that "entusiasts" recommend are not memory
makers AT ALL, they are just memory "marketers".

Travis King wrote:
> I'm not a fan of Samsung products... I've had problems with all of them no
> matter if they're CD ROM drives, floppy drives, memory, or whatever. By the
> way, I've had problems with a Samsung CD ROM drive before, a floppy drive
> before, and a memory module from Samsung before. The memory module will
> always make the computer restart. Buy OCZ or some other higher end memory
> module. By the way, I shop at newegg for most of my computer parts and they
> sure usually have the best deals.
> "Robert Jackson Marley" <xxrabramson1xx@xxsi.rr.comxx> wrote in message
>
>>only 256...average deal...go with 512 or 1gb sticks
>>imho
>>"Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>some cheap RAM I saw on newegg.com
>>>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=20-147-108&DEPA=0

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I've used two 'OCZ' modules before - both were fine. I've used two
'Kingston' memory modules before - the first was fine and the second one
doesn't operate at its advertised PC-3000. It wouldn't even work properly
at speeds of PC-2700. It took all the way down to around 'PC-2400' or
150MHz to get it to work without making the system restart. This means that
I had to 'underclock' an Athlon XP 2800+ down to 1.88GHz (200MHz slower than
it should be) to get it to work properly. It stinks that the CPU's
multiplier is locked so I could at least gain some of the speed back. Then,
the Samsung, my second worst experience. It would cause the computer to
restart itself for about a week, then it's fine. However, I had to slightly
underclock an old Athlon XP 2000+ to get it to quit doing that. Moreover,
any time you would try to adjust the CPU speed no matter if it was
increasing or decreasing, the computer would restart itself for about a week
again before it would straighten out.