USB DVD Writer

Hi

I have jsut upgraded my dvd writer to a nec nd-2510a dual layer drive.

So now ive got my old drive going spare. Its a nec nd-1300a drive. Ive
also got an external usb housing. Was thinking of putting it in there
and turning it into a portable USB2 writer to use with my laptop.
Problem is my laptop only has USB1 ports. Will it work as a dvd
writer over usb1? I know it would do cds at 4x4x6 but is USB1 quick
enough to write to dvd even if its only at 1x?

thanks in advance

paul
1 answer Last reply
More about writer

    My first DVD-RW was an NEC 1300a also and it's first operating location was
    from an external USB housing. It was able to burn both CDs and DVD's in
    that location as it has a pretty good buffer under run system.

    The problem here was that in that enclosure it would always error on DVD-R
    burns - DVD+R was just fine. Ended up putting it into the tower and
    removing an old Pioneer DVD-ROM. Now it burns both "+" and "-" media
    without a hitch!

    FWIW,
    Len
    "me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have jsut upgraded my dvd writer to a nec nd-2510a dual layer drive.
    >
    > So now ive got my old drive going spare. Its a nec nd-1300a drive. Ive
    > also got an external usb housing. Was thinking of putting it in there
    > and turning it into a portable USB2 writer to use with my laptop.
    > Problem is my laptop only has USB1 ports. Will it work as a dvd
    > writer over usb1? I know it would do cds at 4x4x6 but is USB1 quick
    > enough to write to dvd even if its only at 1x?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > paul

Asus DVD Writers Motherboards