USB DVD Writer

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 9:11:48 PM

Hi

I have jsut upgraded my dvd writer to a nec nd-2510a dual layer drive.

So now ive got my old drive going spare. Its a nec nd-1300a drive. Ive
also got an external usb housing. Was thinking of putting it in there
and turning it into a portable USB2 writer to use with my laptop.
Problem is my laptop only has USB1 ports. Will it work as a dvd
writer over usb1? I know it would do cds at 4x4x6 but is USB1 quick
enough to write to dvd even if its only at 1x?

thanks in advance

paul

More about : usb dvd writer

June 20, 2004 9:11:49 PM

My first DVD-RW was an NEC 1300a also and it's first operating location was
from an external USB housing. It was able to burn both CDs and DVD's in
that location as it has a pretty good buffer under run system.

The problem here was that in that enclosure it would always error on DVD-R
burns - DVD+R was just fine. Ended up putting it into the tower and
removing an old Pioneer DVD-ROM. Now it burns both "+" and "-" media
without a hitch!

FWIW,

!