P4C800E Deluxe from P4PE: what is to be gained?

P4PE with 2.5mHz processor, 1GB PC3200 memory, 120GB SATA hdd and
2-250GB SATA hdds in mobile racks for backup (for my home network). No
gaming, just Excel, email, photo editing (Photoshop nd ThumbsPlus), and
some DVD editing

I confess to complete lack of knowledge of the progress in what has gone
on in computing since I built my system a couple of years ago. I am
wondering what is to be gained if I were to look at upgrading my system
mb, if anything. Would I see much of a speed increase with the faster
front side bus? (Could I use my present memory without great sacrifice
or would I need new memory?) Has anything happened that would improve
the bottleneck of the PCI bus?

Thanks,
KenK

Your current setup is plenty fast for all that you mentionned Ken,
Even though there qould be slight performance increase from the FSB,
It really don't matter much for photo editing and your editing works.

You could consider upgrading to a RAID disk array
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?langs=09&m=P4PE

Otherwise, don't try to fix it if it ain't broken.
You'll be much better served upgrading later to next gen CPU's.
P.S. memory should be compatible, but you could check with
ASUS QVL for ASUS P4C800 Motherboard.. Or get the manual
and check all details.
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4C800/e1224_p4c800.pdf

My two cents.
regards.

"Ken Krone" <kenk@theR_E_M_O_V_Ekrones.com> wrote in message
> P4PE with 2.5mHz processor, 1GB PC3200 memory, 120GB SATA hdd and
> 2-250GB SATA hdds in mobile racks for backup (for my home network). No
> gaming, just Excel, email, photo editing (Photoshop nd ThumbsPlus), and
> some DVD editing
>
> I confess to complete lack of knowledge of the progress in what has gone
> on in computing since I built my system a couple of years ago. I am
> wondering what is to be gained if I were to look at upgrading my system
> mb, if anything. Would I see much of a speed increase with the faster
> front side bus? (Could I use my present memory without great sacrifice
> or would I need new memory?) Has anything happened that would improve
> the bottleneck of the PCI bus?
>
> Thanks,
> KenK

I just made that upgrade last week. I upgraded only the motherboard. I have
a 2.4b p4 and 1x 512 pc3200.I was suprized to find that I can o/c to 3.24ghz
/ 180 mhz fsb,with stock cooling. runs prime over night. The p4pe would only
take it to 2.95ghz / 165 fsb. Due to limited fsb dividers for the 533mhz fsb
cpus in bios, I can only run my ddr400 @ ddr360. The P4PE took it to ddr415.
Bench marks are up a little. I'm waiting on newegg for my ocz pc4000 so I
can test with dual channel. I suspect that will make a real difference.
You won't see a speed increase caused by the faster fsb unless you buy a cpu
that uses it.
If your 1G ram is a pair of matched 512 sticks, you can probably use it
dual channel. Albeit not @ ddr400. You'll need a 800mhz fsb cpu for that.
Unless overclocking, you'll be limited to ddr333 with a 533mhz fsb cpu
Your sata drives will most likely benefit from being taken off of the pci
bus onto the chipset. I can't attest, I don't use sata.