A7N8X-E Deluxe and Q-Fan - which fan header(s)?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I just replaced my A7N8X Deluxe with an A7N8X-E Deluxe (don't ask!).
With the A7N8X Deluxe, Q-Fan only worked (by design) when the CPU was
plugged into the PWR_FAN1 header. Is the same thing true of the A7N8X-E
Deluxe?

I know, I could try both fan headers and see for myself. And I have.
But even with Q-Fan enabled, my fan speed runs at max all the time, even
when the CPU temperature is below 50C. (50C is the threshold at which
Q-Fan reduces the fan speed, according to this article:
http://www.asus.com/support/english/techref/mbfeatures/q-fan.aspx .)

So two questions: What fan header(s) need to be used for Q-Fan to work
on the A7N8X-E Deluxe? Does Q-Fan work at all on the A7N8X-E Deluxe, in
the first place?

Searching for an answer on the Asus site has come up empty.

Additional search terms: qfan

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

· wrote:

> I just replaced my A7N8X Deluxe with an A7N8X-E Deluxe (don't ask!).
> With the A7N8X Deluxe, Q-Fan only worked (by design) when the CPU was
> plugged into the PWR_FAN1 header. Is the same thing true of the
> A7N8X-E Deluxe?
>
> I know, I could try both fan headers and see for myself. And I have.
> But even with Q-Fan enabled, my fan speed runs at max all the time,
> even when the CPU temperature is below 50C. (50C is the threshold at
> which Q-Fan reduces the fan speed, according to this article:
> http://www.asus.com/support/english/techref/mbfeatures/q-fan.aspx .)
>
> So two questions: What fan header(s) need to be used for Q-Fan to work
> on the A7N8X-E Deluxe? Does Q-Fan work at all on the A7N8X-E Deluxe,
> in the first place?
>
> Searching for an answer on the Asus site has come up empty.
>
> Additional search terms: qfan

Don't everyone reply at once. In case anyone wonders the same thing I
did, I'll answer here for their benefit.

The A7N8X-E Deluxe 1.01 uses the CPU_FAN1 header for use with Q-Fan. On
some configurations, such as mine as it turns out, the reduction in fan
speed may be minimal indeed--and thus very easy to overlook, especially
since it fluctuates.