Modem won't wake P4P800-VM out of standby

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2004 10:05:44 PM

Hi,

I've got a P4P00-VM running XP-PRO with an AOpen FM56-PX modem.

My problem is that the modem won't bring the computer out of standby when
someone in calls in.

- The modem answers calls when the system is running.
- In the modem's control panel Power Management settings, I've got "Allow
this device to bring the computer out of standby" checked.
- I can bring the system out of standby by means of the keyboard, so standby
itself seems to be working correctly.

I've messed around with the following BIOS settings:
- turned Power Management/APM off (normally enabled) (I thought this might
confuse Windows)
- enabled/disabled Power On by PCI devices (it's an internal modem)

with no success.

I'm beat. I don't know whether I'm messed up the Windows side or on the BIOS
side. I'm guessing the problem is on the BIOS side (doesn't seem to be much
to change in Windows). There's a whole bunch of power settings, but they're
pretty obscure.

Any suggestions, or pointers to useful web sites would be greatly
appreciated.

/Icebiker
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2004 10:05:05 PM

The problem: I want my modem to bring my P4P800 out of standby when it
receives a call.

So, I played around a bit further, and found that if I set the BIOS Suspend
Mode (in the Power menu) to "S1 (POS) only", the modem would wake up the
computer. It would not in "S3 only" mode.

In S1 mode, the fans stay on (power supply and CPU), which seems like a
great way to grunge up the machine with dust unnecessarily.

Is there any way I persuade the fans to go off in S1 mode?

I know at a high level what S1 and S3 mean, but is there anything out there
that describes what S1 and S3 really means in the context of a particular MB
or BIOS implementation? Does S1 use noticeably more power than S3?

/icebiker

"Icebiker" <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've got a P4P00-VM running XP-PRO with an AOpen FM56-PX modem.
>
> My problem is that the modem won't bring the computer out of standby when
> someone in calls in.
>
> - The modem answers calls when the system is running.
> - In the modem's control panel Power Management settings, I've got "Allow
> this device to bring the computer out of standby" checked.
> - I can bring the system out of standby by means of the keyboard, so
standby
> itself seems to be working correctly.
>
> I've messed around with the following BIOS settings:
> - turned Power Management/APM off (normally enabled) (I thought this might
> confuse Windows)
> - enabled/disabled Power On by PCI devices (it's an internal modem)
>
> with no success.
>
> I'm beat. I don't know whether I'm messed up the Windows side or on the
BIOS
> side. I'm guessing the problem is on the BIOS side (doesn't seem to be
much
> to change in Windows). There's a whole bunch of power settings, but
they're
> pretty obscure.
>
> Any suggestions, or pointers to useful web sites would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> /Icebiker

June 22, 2004 4:15:28 AM

In article <cb7m2h$frp$1@news.eusc.inter.net>, "Icebiker"
<icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> The problem: I want my modem to bring my P4P800 out of standby when it
> receives a call.
>
> So, I played around a bit further, and found that if I set the BIOS Suspend
> Mode (in the Power menu) to "S1 (POS) only", the modem would wake up the
> computer. It would not in "S3 only" mode.
>
> In S1 mode, the fans stay on (power supply and CPU), which seems like a
> great way to grunge up the machine with dust unnecessarily.
>
> Is there any way I persuade the fans to go off in S1 mode?
>
> I know at a high level what S1 and S3 mean, but is there anything out there
> that describes what S1 and S3 really means in the context of a particular MB
> or BIOS implementation? Does S1 use noticeably more power than S3?
>
> /icebiker

I think I read that S1 turns off the disk drive and the monitor.
The processor and RAM are still running. The fans are necessary to
keep the system cool. In S3, the RAM is running in refresh mode,
which doesn't draw too much power (3W or so on my comp with 2x256MB
ram).

Does S3 work OK by itself ? When you wake the computer from S3,
are the contents of RAM OK (i.e. doesn't crash when coming out of
S3) ?

Is there any way to tell if the modem is getting power, while it
is purportedly in S3 ? A modem isn't likely to have any LEDs on
it, so it may be hard to figure out. Do the LEDs on a PCI LAN card
light when in S3 ?

Have you used dumppo.exe, the ACPI utility ? Maybe dumppo can tell
you whether the hardware is compatible or not. Dumppo is a
utility you can download from ftp.microsoft.com .

HTH,
Paul

> "Icebiker" <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a P4P00-VM running XP-PRO with an AOpen FM56-PX modem.
> >
> > My problem is that the modem won't bring the computer out of standby when
> > someone in calls in.
> >
> > - The modem answers calls when the system is running.
> > - In the modem's control panel Power Management settings, I've got "Allow
> > this device to bring the computer out of standby" checked.
> > - I can bring the system out of standby by means of the keyboard, so
> standby
> > itself seems to be working correctly.
> >
> > I've messed around with the following BIOS settings:
> > - turned Power Management/APM off (normally enabled) (I thought this might
> > confuse Windows)
> > - enabled/disabled Power On by PCI devices (it's an internal modem)
> >
> > with no success.
> >
> > I'm beat. I don't know whether I'm messed up the Windows side or on the
> BIOS
> > side. I'm guessing the problem is on the BIOS side (doesn't seem to be
> much
> > to change in Windows). There's a whole bunch of power settings, but
> they're
> > pretty obscure.
> >
> > Any suggestions, or pointers to useful web sites would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > /Icebiker

a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2004 2:32:39 AM

Thanks Paul,

I beginning to suspect the modem card. I have an identical modem in a P4B,
and it doesn't wake the computer up either, though the mouse and keyboard
do.

The BIOSs have power up on PCI device setting, but it doesn't seem to do
anything. This whole power thing is deeply obscure and largely undocumented.

Think I'll go back to the shop and see what they say.

I've heard about this dumppo.exe, but I've never been able to find a
download site. ftp.microsoft.com just has a lot empty directories. Looks
like it hasn't been updated in a long time.

Thanks again

/icebiker

> [...]
> > standby
> > > itself seems to be working correctly.
> > >
> > > I've messed around with the following BIOS settings:
> > > - turned Power Management/APM off (normally enabled) (I thought this
might
> > > confuse Windows)
> > > - enabled/disabled Power On by PCI devices (it's an internal modem)
> > >
> > > with no success.
> > >
> > > I'm beat. I don't know whether I'm messed up the Windows side or on
the
> > BIOS
> > > side. I'm guessing the problem is on the BIOS side (doesn't seem to be
> > much
> > > to change in Windows). There's a whole bunch of power settings, but
> > they're
> > > pretty obscure.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions, or pointers to useful web sites would be greatly

June 23, 2004 4:38:09 AM

In article <cbaq48$d1h$1@news.eusc.inter.net>, "Icebiker"
<icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> Thanks Paul,
>
> I beginning to suspect the modem card. I have an identical modem in a P4B,
> and it doesn't wake the computer up either, though the mouse and keyboard
> do.
>
> The BIOSs have power up on PCI device setting, but it doesn't seem to do
> anything. This whole power thing is deeply obscure and largely undocumented.
>
> Think I'll go back to the shop and see what they say.
>
> I've heard about this dumppo.exe, but I've never been able to find a
> download site. ftp.microsoft.com just has a lot empty directories. Looks
> like it hasn't been updated in a long time.
>
> Thanks again
>
> /icebiker

Try here:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/T...

Paul

> > In article <cb7m2h$frp$1@news.eusc.inter.net>, "Icebiker"
> > <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> >
> > > The problem: I want my modem to bring my P4P800 out of standby when it
> > > receives a call.
> > >
> > > So, I played around a bit further, and found that if I set the BIOS
> Suspend
> > > Mode (in the Power menu) to "S1 (POS) only", the modem would wake up the
> > > computer. It would not in "S3 only" mode.
> > >
> > > In S1 mode, the fans stay on (power supply and CPU), which seems like a
> > > great way to grunge up the machine with dust unnecessarily.
> > >
> > > Is there any way I persuade the fans to go off in S1 mode?
> > >
> > > I know at a high level what S1 and S3 mean, but is there anything out
> there
> > > that describes what S1 and S3 really means in the context of a
> particular MB
> > > or BIOS implementation? Does S1 use noticeably more power than S3?
> > >
> > > /icebiker
> >
> > I think I read that S1 turns off the disk drive and the monitor.
> > The processor and RAM are still running. The fans are necessary to
> > keep the system cool. In S3, the RAM is running in refresh mode,
> > which doesn't draw too much power (3W or so on my comp with 2x256MB
> > ram).
> >
> > Does S3 work OK by itself ? When you wake the computer from S3,
> > are the contents of RAM OK (i.e. doesn't crash when coming out of
> > S3) ?
> >
> > Is there any way to tell if the modem is getting power, while it
> > is purportedly in S3 ? A modem isn't likely to have any LEDs on
> > it, so it may be hard to figure out. Do the LEDs on a PCI LAN card
> > light when in S3 ?
> >
> > Have you used dumppo.exe, the ACPI utility ? Maybe dumppo can tell
> > you whether the hardware is compatible or not. Dumppo is a
> > utility you can download from ftp.microsoft.com .
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul
> >

> > > "Icebiker" <icebiker@ca.inter.net> wrote in message

> when

> "Allow
> > > standby

> might

> the
> > > BIOS
> > > much
> > > they're

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2004 3:11:15 AM

Ooh! Thanks! Didn't realize the oemtest was the place to look. Lots of cool
stuff in there.

/icebiker

!