A7N8X-Dlx 1.04 board at 400mhz?

Sam

I've had my trusty A7N8X-Dlx version 1.04 board for over 18 months
now. So far it works perfectly. I've decided to swap out my old AMD
2400+ (266mhz) with a Barton 3200+(400mhz). I'm also swapping out my
old DDR2700 memory for Crucial DDR3200 RAM. I have the latest 1008
BIOS (new as of 6/18/04).

Are there any "gotcha's" that I need to know about before installing
all this? I'm really not into overclocking so I plan to run everything
at their normal speeds.

Thanks.

Sam

Paul

Splendid

In article <rdkit5gw8lzu.1ekd6h80p72wz.dlg@40tude.net>, Sam
<srs2_11NOT@hotmailNOT.com> wrote:

> I've had my trusty A7N8X-Dlx version 1.04 board for over 18 months
> now. So far it works perfectly. I've decided to swap out my old AMD
> 2400+ (266mhz) with a Barton 3200+(400mhz). I'm also swapping out my
> old DDR2700 memory for Crucial DDR3200 RAM. I have the latest 1008
> BIOS (new as of 6/18/04).
>
> Are there any "gotcha's" that I need to know about before installing
> all this? I'm really not into overclocking so I plan to run everything
> at their normal speeds.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sam

You might have to back off on the clock a bit. Some of those boards
will do 185MHz, but won't go all the way to the 200MHz clock needed
for FSB400/DDR400 operation. If you are one of the lucky ones, then
you don't need to do anything. If it only does 185MHz, then there
is a volt mod for the CM3708, but to do that requires some knowledge
of electronics. Maybe you could RMA the board to Asus, explaining
it won't work right with your Barton FSB400 chip.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9237
http://www.champion-micro.com/datasheet/Analog%20Device/CM3708.pdf

The cpusupport page says you need at least BIOS 1004.
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

HTH,
Paul

Sam

Sometime on, or about Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:20:22 -0400, Paul scribbled:

> In article <rdkit5gw8lzu.1ekd6h80p72wz.dlg@40tude.net>, Sam
> <srs2_11NOT@hotmailNOT.com> wrote:
>
>> I've had my trusty A7N8X-Dlx version 1.04 board for over 18 months
>> now. So far it works perfectly. I've decided to swap out my old AMD
>> 2400+ (266mhz) with a Barton 3200+(400mhz). I'm also swapping out my
>> old DDR2700 memory for Crucial DDR3200 RAM. I have the latest 1008
>> BIOS (new as of 6/18/04).
>>
>> Are there any "gotcha's" that I need to know about before installing
>> all this? I'm really not into overclocking so I plan to run everything
>> at their normal speeds.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Sam
>
> You might have to back off on the clock a bit. Some of those boards
> will do 185MHz, but won't go all the way to the 200MHz clock needed
> for FSB400/DDR400 operation. If you are one of the lucky ones, then
> you don't need to do anything. If it only does 185MHz, then there
> is a volt mod for the CM3708, but to do that requires some knowledge
> of electronics. Maybe you could RMA the board to Asus, explaining
> it won't work right with your Barton FSB400 chip.
>
> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9237
> http://www.champion-micro.com/datasheet/Analog%20Device/CM3708.pdf
>
> The cpusupport page says you need at least BIOS 1004.
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
>
> HTH,
> Paul

My main concern was instability. As long as the system is reliable,
I'm not going to sweat a couple of Mhz one way or the other.

The new 1008 BIOS does have one intriguing item:
> Update FSB400 romsip table

I'm not sure what this means, but hopefully it will allow the board to
run correctly at 400mhz. But, that's just a guess.

Sam

Bender

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002

My A7N8X-DLX v1.04 has a 3200+ for several months with the same estability
that when has a 1333 MHz
"Sam" <srs2_11NOT@hotmailNOT.com> escribió en el mensaje
> I've had my trusty A7N8X-Dlx version 1.04 board for over 18 months
> now. So far it works perfectly. I've decided to swap out my old AMD
> 2400+ (266mhz) with a Barton 3200+(400mhz). I'm also swapping out my
> old DDR2700 memory for Crucial DDR3200 RAM. I have the latest 1008
> BIOS (new as of 6/18/04).
>
> Are there any "gotcha's" that I need to know about before installing
> all this? I'm really not into overclocking so I plan to run everything
> at their normal speeds.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sam

Sam

Sometime on, or about Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:05:24 +0200, Bender
scribbled:

> My A7N8X-DLX v1.04 has a 3200+ for several months with the same estability
> that when has a 1333 MHz

That's good to hear. Thanks for your response.

Sam

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:01:23 -0700, Sam
<srs2_11NOT@hotmailNOT.com> wrote:

>| Sometime on, or about Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:22:10 -0500, edde scribbled:

-zip-
>| I have pretty much always used Crucial RAM, and I've never had a
>| problem due to it.

Same here. Also Crucial.

Henning

Sam

Sometime on, or about Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:20:12 +0200, Henning
scribbled:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:01:23 -0700, Sam
> <srs2_11NOT@hotmailNOT.com> wrote:
>
>>| Sometime on, or about Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:22:10 -0500, edde scribbled:
>>|
> -zip-
>>| I have pretty much always used Crucial RAM, and I've never had a
>>| problem due to it.
>
> Same here. Also Crucial.
>
> Henning

Although my system seems to be pretty stable and no normal programs
have crashed, I did run into one problem. Testing with Prime95 causes
an error within 3 minutes. Backing the CPU and memory back down to
185mhz solves the problem. So, what do I do now? I want to run things
at the full 200mhz, not 185.

Sam
--
To mail me please get rid of the BS first

"Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
> Sometime on, or about Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:20:12 +0200, Henning
> scribbled:

> > -zip-
> >
> > Same here. Also Crucial.
> >
> > Henning
>
> Although my system seems to be pretty stable and no normal programs
> have crashed, I did run into one problem. Testing with Prime95 causes
> an error within 3 minutes. Backing the CPU and memory back down to
> 185mhz solves the problem. So, what do I do now? I want to run things
> at the full 200mhz, not 185.
>
> Sam
> --
> To mail me please get rid of the BS first

What BIOS are you using? My A7N8X couldn't do better that about 185
until I flashed the BIOS to ver 1008 now its working at 200FSB with no
problems. But I haven't run any tests like memtest86 or prime95 on it.

Jim M

Sam

Sometime on, or about Fri, 2 Jul 2004 18:22:43 -0600, JBM scribbled:

> "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
>> Sometime on, or about Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:20:12 +0200, Henning
>> scribbled:

>>> -zip-
>>>
>>> Same here. Also Crucial.
>>>
>>> Henning
>>
>> Although my system seems to be pretty stable and no normal programs
>> have crashed, I did run into one problem. Testing with Prime95 causes
>> an error within 3 minutes. Backing the CPU and memory back down to
>> 185mhz solves the problem. So, what do I do now? I want to run things
>> at the full 200mhz, not 185.
>>
>> Sam
>> --
>> To mail me please get rid of the BS first
>
> What BIOS are you using? My A7N8X couldn't do better that about 185
> until I flashed the BIOS to ver 1008 now its working at 200FSB with no
> problems. But I haven't run any tests like memtest86 or prime95 on it.
>
> Jim M

I have the 1008 BIOS too. That's probably why my system appeared to be
stable and work at 400mhz. Memtest86 ran fine for about 2 hours.
However, prime95 failed miserably within 2-3 minutes every time I
tried.

Sam
--

> Sometime on, or about Fri, 2 Jul 2004 18:22:43 -0600, JBM scribbled:
>
> > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
> >> Sometime on, or about Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:20:12 +0200, Henning
> >> scribbled:

> >> Although my system seems to be pretty stable and no normal programs
> >> have crashed, I did run into one problem. Testing with Prime95 causes
> >> an error within 3 minutes. Backing the CPU and memory back down to
> >> 185mhz solves the problem. So, what do I do now? I want to run things
> >> at the full 200mhz, not 185.
> >>
> >> Sam
> >> --
> >> To mail me please get rid of the BS first
> >
> > What BIOS are you using? My A7N8X couldn't do better that about 185
> > until I flashed the BIOS to ver 1008 now its working at 200FSB with no
> > problems. But I haven't run any tests like memtest86 or prime95 on it.
> >
> > Jim M
>
> I have the 1008 BIOS too. That's probably why my system appeared to be
> stable and work at 400mhz. Memtest86 ran fine for about 2 hours.
> However, prime95 failed miserably within 2-3 minutes every time I
> tried.
>
> Sam
> --
> To mail me please get rid of the BS first

I just tried to run prime95 and it failed
Fatal error: Rounding was 0.5, Expected less than 0.4
is the error I get.

Jim M

Sam

Sometime on, or about Fri, 2 Jul 2004 19:52:02 -0600, JBM scribbled:

> "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
>> Sometime on, or about Fri, 2 Jul 2004 18:22:43 -0600, JBM scribbled:
>>
>>> "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message

> scribbled:

>>> What BIOS are you using? My A7N8X couldn't do better that about 185
>>> until I flashed the BIOS to ver 1008 now its working at 200FSB with no
>>> problems. But I haven't run any tests like memtest86 or prime95 on it.
>>>
>>> Jim M
>>
>> I have the 1008 BIOS too. That's probably why my system appeared to be
>> stable and work at 400mhz. Memtest86 ran fine for about 2 hours.
>> However, prime95 failed miserably within 2-3 minutes every time I
>> tried.
>>
>> Sam
>> --
>> To mail me please get rid of the BS first
>
> I just tried to run prime95 and it failed
> Fatal error: Rounding was 0.5, Expected less than 0.4
> is the error I get.
>
> Jim M

That's the exact same error I got. However, since normal programs and
games seem to work fine, I've kept it running at 400mhz. But, I don't
know if I have a ticking time-bomb or not.

I wonder if this would be justification for an RMA of this board? It
was advertised as being able to run at this speed. I've written to
Asus, but no response at all.

Sam
--

| > I just tried to run prime95 and it failed
| > Fatal error: Rounding was 0.5, Expected less than 0.4
| > is the error I get.
| >
| > Jim M
|
| That's the exact same error I got. However, since normal programs
and
| games seem to work fine, I've kept it running at 400mhz. But, I
don't
| know if I have a ticking time-bomb or not.
|
| I wonder if this would be justification for an RMA of this board? It
| was advertised as being able to run at this speed. I've written to
| Asus, but no response at all.

Yes, you have a ticking time bomb, no telling when/where the system
instability will give you fits. I always get a creepy feeling if
prime95 can't run for a good spell. Should a failure occur related to
HD activity, you could corrupt your registry, as a simple example of
how things can go bad. If you have backups, you can feel just a bit
more secure, however, should the HD driver muck things up due to
instability, your HD could get trashed in an instant.
--
Best regards,
Kyle

Sam

Sometime on, or about Sat, 3 Jul 2004 03:23:35 -0500, Kylesb
scribbled:

> "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> wrote in message
>|> I just tried to run prime95 and it failed
>|> Fatal error: Rounding was 0.5, Expected less than 0.4
>|> is the error I get.
>|>
>|> Jim M
>|
>| That's the exact same error I got. However, since normal programs
> and
>| games seem to work fine, I've kept it running at 400mhz. But, I
> don't
>| know if I have a ticking time-bomb or not.
>|
>| I wonder if this would be justification for an RMA of this board? It
>| was advertised as being able to run at this speed. I've written to
>| Asus, but no response at all.
>|

> Yes, you have a ticking time bomb, no telling when/where the system
> instability will give you fits. I always get a creepy feeling if
> prime95 can't run for a good spell. Should a failure occur related to
> HD activity, you could corrupt your registry, as a simple example of
> how things can go bad. If you have backups, you can feel just a bit
> more secure, however, should the HD driver muck things up due to
> instability, your HD could get trashed in an instant.

Ack!! I don't need that. I've just reduced everything to 185 (370mhz).
However, I'm really disappointed in this MB since I thought it was
supposed to do 400. I'm even more disappointed in Asus since they've
never responded to any of my emails either. Has anyone had any luck in
contacting them and getting any satisfaction in a situation like this?

Sam
--
To mail me please get rid of the BS first