no wireless networks in range

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 15, 2004 7:45:03 AM

Home network with desktop hardwired, Intel R Pro/100 VE, 2 laptops with Intel
R Pro Wireless 2100 Lan 3B Minipci adapters, and an Intel Wireless Gateway II
router was working fine. One laptop now will not connect to the network. It
says that there is no wireless network available, wireless connection not
connected and says to reset the router switch. I can not see the laptop now
from my desktop network places. I do not know how to reset the router switch.
There is a tiny hole on the back of the router that says "reset" but I don't
know what to do to it. Have tried to find infor on resetting the switch, but
can't find anything. This seemed to happen after my laptop went into standby
for a long time. I am pretty much of a novice, so the Sesame Street version
of a response would be great.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
December 15, 2004 12:25:02 PM

Hi Helen

The little reset switch on the back will reset your router back to factory
settings. I ahve often found that just unplugging the router for about 5mins
can sometimes solve this problem and also keeps your settings as they were.

Scott

"Helen" wrote:

> Home network with desktop hardwired, Intel R Pro/100 VE, 2 laptops with Intel
> R Pro Wireless 2100 Lan 3B Minipci adapters, and an Intel Wireless Gateway II
> router was working fine. One laptop now will not connect to the network. It
> says that there is no wireless network available, wireless connection not
> connected and says to reset the router switch. I can not see the laptop now
> from my desktop network places. I do not know how to reset the router switch.
> There is a tiny hole on the back of the router that says "reset" but I don't
> know what to do to it. Have tried to find infor on resetting the switch, but
> can't find anything. This seemed to happen after my laptop went into standby
> for a long time. I am pretty much of a novice, so the Sesame Street version
> of a response would be great.
December 15, 2004 4:19:07 PM

The problem is that the "Switch is literally a little hole that maybe a
toothpick could be inserec in...no real switch. I turned off the router as
you suggested and waited...no luck. Thanks.

"IscaComps" wrote:

> Hi Helen
>
> The little reset switch on the back will reset your router back to factory
> settings. I ahve often found that just unplugging the router for about 5mins
> can sometimes solve this problem and also keeps your settings as they were.
>
> Scott
>
> "Helen" wrote:
>
> > Home network with desktop hardwired, Intel R Pro/100 VE, 2 laptops with Intel
> > R Pro Wireless 2100 Lan 3B Minipci adapters, and an Intel Wireless Gateway II
> > router was working fine. One laptop now will not connect to the network. It
> > says that there is no wireless network available, wireless connection not
> > connected and says to reset the router switch. I can not see the laptop now
> > from my desktop network places. I do not know how to reset the router switch.
> > There is a tiny hole on the back of the router that says "reset" but I don't
> > know what to do to it. Have tried to find infor on resetting the switch, but
> > can't find anything. This seemed to happen after my laptop went into standby
> > for a long time. I am pretty much of a novice, so the Sesame Street version
> > of a response would be great.
Related resources
December 16, 2004 1:08:46 AM

If one of the laptops still connects properly via wireless, the problem is
NOT in the router, and you should leave that alone. Some laptops have a
switch or button or use an FN keypress combination to turn the computers
wireless communication on and off. Sometimes if it turned off, you will see
exactly the error you report. If that is not the case, you should check the
device properties in device manager and report back.
--

"Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 7964927-B844-4B2B-9894-2CEC1631AAA4@microsoft.com...
> Home network with desktop hardwired, Intel R Pro/100 VE, 2 laptops with
> Intel
> R Pro Wireless 2100 Lan 3B Minipci adapters, and an Intel Wireless Gateway
> II
> router was working fine. One laptop now will not connect to the network.
> It
> says that there is no wireless network available, wireless connection not
> connected and says to reset the router switch. I can not see the laptop
> now
> from my desktop network places. I do not know how to reset the router
> switch.
> There is a tiny hole on the back of the router that says "reset" but I
> don't
> know what to do to it. Have tried to find infor on resetting the switch,
> but
> can't find anything. This seemed to happen after my laptop went into
> standby
> for a long time. I am pretty much of a novice, so the Sesame Street
> version
> of a response would be great.
December 16, 2004 1:08:47 AM

YEA! Yes, my Gateway 200ARC laptop has a button that is one of the
"multi-function" buttons above the keyboard. I looked from my desktop at the
product specifications on the Gateway website and it has this special button
to turn the adapter on and off. I thought I had pressed this once before
without success, but when turned on it has a bright blue indicator light.
When I restarted my laptop, everything was back to normal. Thank you so
much...I can't tell you how much time I have spent on this....a little
knowledge is a dangerous thing.

"GTS" wrote:

> If one of the laptops still connects properly via wireless, the problem is
> NOT in the router, and you should leave that alone. Some laptops have a
> switch or button or use an FN keypress combination to turn the computers
> wireless communication on and off. Sometimes if it turned off, you will see
> exactly the error you report. If that is not the case, you should check the
> device properties in device manager and report back.
> --
>
> "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 7964927-B844-4B2B-9894-2CEC1631AAA4@microsoft.com...
> > Home network with desktop hardwired, Intel R Pro/100 VE, 2 laptops with
> > Intel
> > R Pro Wireless 2100 Lan 3B Minipci adapters, and an Intel Wireless Gateway
> > II
> > router was working fine. One laptop now will not connect to the network.
> > It
> > says that there is no wireless network available, wireless connection not
> > connected and says to reset the router switch. I can not see the laptop
> > now
> > from my desktop network places. I do not know how to reset the router
> > switch.
> > There is a tiny hole on the back of the router that says "reset" but I
> > don't
> > know what to do to it. Have tried to find infor on resetting the switch,
> > but
> > can't find anything. This seemed to happen after my laptop went into
> > standby
> > for a long time. I am pretty much of a novice, so the Sesame Street
> > version
> > of a response would be great.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 5:37:08 AM

I must apologise my "severe" lack of guidance with that issue, yes now i read
again i will admit that has to be the worst piece of advice i have ever
written.

So to Helen - I apologise.

"Helen" wrote:

> YEA! Yes, my Gateway 200ARC laptop has a button that is one of the
> "multi-function" buttons above the keyboard. I looked from my desktop at the
> product specifications on the Gateway website and it has this special button
> to turn the adapter on and off. I thought I had pressed this once before
> without success, but when turned on it has a bright blue indicator light.
> When I restarted my laptop, everything was back to normal. Thank you so
> much...I can't tell you how much time I have spent on this....a little
> knowledge is a dangerous thing.
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
> > If one of the laptops still connects properly via wireless, the problem is
> > NOT in the router, and you should leave that alone. Some laptops have a
> > switch or button or use an FN keypress combination to turn the computers
> > wireless communication on and off. Sometimes if it turned off, you will see
> > exactly the error you report. If that is not the case, you should check the
> > device properties in device manager and report back.
> > --
> >
> > "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 7964927-B844-4B2B-9894-2CEC1631AAA4@microsoft.com...
> > > Home network with desktop hardwired, Intel R Pro/100 VE, 2 laptops with
> > > Intel
> > > R Pro Wireless 2100 Lan 3B Minipci adapters, and an Intel Wireless Gateway
> > > II
> > > router was working fine. One laptop now will not connect to the network.
> > > It
> > > says that there is no wireless network available, wireless connection not
> > > connected and says to reset the router switch. I can not see the laptop
> > > now
> > > from my desktop network places. I do not know how to reset the router
> > > switch.
> > > There is a tiny hole on the back of the router that says "reset" but I
> > > don't
> > > know what to do to it. Have tried to find infor on resetting the switch,
> > > but
> > > can't find anything. This seemed to happen after my laptop went into
> > > standby
> > > for a long time. I am pretty much of a novice, so the Sesame Street
> > > version
> > > of a response would be great.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
December 16, 2004 6:28:47 AM

Please try to find somebody knowlegeable.
If you start reset things it is easy to make a complete havoc out of it.
Sorry, there still is no universal Sesame Street solution to wireless...
--PA

"Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D 7964927-B844-4B2B-9894-2CEC1631AAA4@microsoft.com...
> Home network with desktop hardwired, Intel R Pro/100 VE, 2 laptops with Intel
> R Pro Wireless 2100 Lan 3B Minipci adapters, and an Intel Wireless Gateway II
> router was working fine. One laptop now will not connect to the network. It
> says that there is no wireless network available, wireless connection not
> connected and says to reset the router switch. I can not see the laptop now
> from my desktop network places. I do not know how to reset the router switch.
> There is a tiny hole on the back of the router that says "reset" but I don't
> know what to do to it. Have tried to find infor on resetting the switch, but
> can't find anything. This seemed to happen after my laptop went into standby
> for a long time. I am pretty much of a novice, so the Sesame Street version
> of a response would be great.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
December 29, 2004 3:14:37 AM

Take a small non pointed device such as a paper clip and
push it into that hole until you feel contact. Then just
press and hold it and watch the lights cycle on the front
of the router. That will reset the router. If you're a
fraid to do that, you can always pull the plug and wait
about 10 seconds...the router will power up and reset
automatically.

!