No onboard and pci-sound at the same time (K8V Deluxe)!

Hello,

I have been working on this issue ever since I bought my Asus K8V Deluxe
mainboard. It has the sound chipset AD1980, and it should be great - if it
just worked!

First I thought, well, it's just not working, but then I tried the
InstantMusic-feature that my mainboard has, and when using that, output
through the AD1980 worked fine.

And I found the "bug", but I need a cure:
The problem is that I also have a SoundBlaster Live (PCI) in my computer,
but when the SoundBlaster Live is plugged in, then Windows no longer detects
the AC1980 AT ALL - it's like it's not even there - but the moment I take it
out, it works like a charm.

I would like both soundscards to work, as I'm holding a party in a few weeks
and I like to have a soundcard for the headphones and a soundcard for the
speaker-output (so I can change tracks, just at the right moment).

Oh, and I have tried updating BIOS - done that 2 times since I bought it and
I am now running the newest version, but still no cigar.

Anyone tried this before?

I'll keep you posted if I find anything about it anywhere....

Regards
Morten Skyt

Paul

Splendid

In article <40d6c491$0$284$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk>, "Morten Skyt"
<skyt@klasen.dk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been working on this issue ever since I bought my Asus K8V Deluxe
> mainboard. It has the sound chipset AD1980, and it should be great - if it
> just worked!
>
> First I thought, well, it's just not working, but then I tried the
> InstantMusic-feature that my mainboard has, and when using that, output
> through the AD1980 worked fine.
>
> And I found the "bug", but I need a cure:
> The problem is that I also have a SoundBlaster Live (PCI) in my computer,
> but when the SoundBlaster Live is plugged in, then Windows no longer detects
> the AC1980 AT ALL - it's like it's not even there - but the moment I take it
> out, it works like a charm.
>
> I would like both soundscards to work, as I'm holding a party in a few weeks
> and I like to have a soundcard for the headphones and a soundcard for the
> speaker-output (so I can change tracks, just at the right moment).
>
> Oh, and I have tried updating BIOS - done that 2 times since I bought it and
> I am now running the newest version, but still no cigar.
>
> Anyone tried this before?
>
> I'll keep you posted if I find anything about it anywhere....
>

> Regards
> Morten Skyt

The manual mentions that the AC97 will be disabled, unless a
load is detected connected to the CODEC chip. Try plugging your
headset into the output of the AD1980, before you start the
computer. Make sure the wiring is correct first, by testing
without the Soundblaster in the system, then plug in the
Soundblaster, and see if the AC97 is detected while the
headset is in place.

Just a guess,
Paul

I'm afraid that didn't work either :-/

But thanks for replying.

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> In article <40d6c491$0$284$edfadb0f@dread16.news.tele.dk>, "Morten Skyt"
> <skyt@klasen.dk> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been working on this issue ever since I bought my Asus K8V Deluxe
> > mainboard. It has the sound chipset AD1980, and it should be great - if
it
> > just worked!
> >
> > First I thought, well, it's just not working, but then I tried the
> > InstantMusic-feature that my mainboard has, and when using that, output
> > through the AD1980 worked fine.
> >
> > And I found the "bug", but I need a cure:
> > The problem is that I also have a SoundBlaster Live (PCI) in my
computer,
> > but when the SoundBlaster Live is plugged in, then Windows no longer
detects
> > the AC1980 AT ALL - it's like it's not even there - but the moment I
take it
> > out, it works like a charm.
> >
> > I would like both soundscards to work, as I'm holding a party in a few
weeks
> > and I like to have a soundcard for the headphones and a soundcard for
the
> > speaker-output (so I can change tracks, just at the right moment).
> >
> > Oh, and I have tried updating BIOS - done that 2 times since I bought it
and
> > I am now running the newest version, but still no cigar.
> >
> > Anyone tried this before?
> >
> > I'll keep you posted if I find anything about it anywhere....
> >

> > Regards
> > Morten Skyt
>
> The manual mentions that the AC97 will be disabled, unless a
> load is detected connected to the CODEC chip. Try plugging your
> headset into the output of the AD1980, before you start the
> computer. Make sure the wiring is correct first, by testing
> without the Soundblaster in the system, then plug in the
> Soundblaster, and see if the AC97 is detected while the
> headset is in place.
>
> Just a guess,
> Paul

I've sent the support-people @asus an e-mail. Let's see if the results are