A7V8X-X brief power then off

Old system was a ECS K7S5A. I grew weary of the never ending quirks but
nominally the box was working.

Two Micron 512MB DDR2700 CL 2.5 memory sticks, newish, but tested with
the old board.

Everything else is the same:

Athlon 1500XP
Cheapie case and power supply

Without memory:
Hit power supply switch.
Hit front panel power switch.
Power LED lights on motherboard.
Long beep, CPU fan comes on, drives get power.
Maybe 5 seconds.
Everything powers down.
Power LED still on. No response to front panel.

With memory: same as above only no beep.

Any ideas?

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

i have/had similar issues.

what do you have for a video card?
what bios is on the a7 board?

my a7v8x-x had memory issues, would not see anything more than 512.
now it is dead, everything powers up but no post, no beeps, no video signal.

good luck
john

btw i also moved from an ecs k7s5a board to the asus board.
ever since then my ecs board has worked great, go figure.

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:44:46 +0000 (UTC), Eric Edwards <ese002@news9.exile.org> wrote:
>Old system was a ECS K7S5A. I grew weary of the never ending quirks but
>nominally the box was working.
>
>Two Micron 512MB DDR2700 CL 2.5 memory sticks, newish, but tested with
>the old board.
>
>Everything else is the same:
>
>Athlon 1500XP
>Cheapie case and power supply
>
>Without memory:
>Hit power supply switch.
>Hit front panel power switch.
>Power LED lights on motherboard.
>Long beep, CPU fan comes on, drives get power.
>Maybe 5 seconds.
>Everything powers down.
>Power LED still on. No response to front panel.
>
>With memory: same as above only no beep.

I swapped memory, cpu, and video card into the old ECS board. They
work. Since returning the components to the A7V8X-X and reconnecting
power, things have changed though I don't really know why.

Power stays on most of the time. Occasionally, it shuts down after a
lengthy period but mostly it stays running.

If no video board, the motherboard complains ( one long, 3 short beeps).
If video present, then no complaints, but no video either. The video
board remains dormant. Monitor does not see a signal.

No disk activity as far as I can tell though they do have power.
Keyboard LEDs blink on power up.

Reset seems to cause a click from the speaker but, otherwise, no effect.

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

In article <slrncdes1q.rf2.ese002@spica.exile.org>, ese002
@news9.exile.org says...
> If no video board, the motherboard complains ( one long, 3 short beeps).
> If video present, then no complaints, but no video either. The video
> board remains dormant. Monitor does not see a signal.

What kind of video card are you using?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:28:16 -0400, Hubert Hump <hh@youmustbekidding.com> wrote:
>In article <slrncdes1q.rf2.ese002@spica.exile.org>, ese002
>@news9.exile.org says...
>> If no video board, the motherboard complains ( one long, 3 short beeps).
>> If video present, then no complaints, but no video either. The video
>> board remains dormant. Monitor does not see a signal.
>
>What kind of video card are you using?

I have two to play with:

1) Ancient but reliable 8 bit STB/Aware PCI card.
2) "generic" Savage4 AGP card.

Difficulties in getting reliable contact in the K7S5A's AGP slot
contributed to the decision to buy the A7V8X-X. Strictly speaking, I
don't know that the AGP card still works. I'm doing most of my testing
with the PC card.

The newest twist is that, using the reset switch, I can briefly get
activity out of the video card. It's too brief to actually display
anything but the monitor does pick up a signal. That's with the PCI
card.

Now, I'm getting "bad or missing video" beeps from the AGP card. Maybe
it is dead. Doesn't explain why the PCI card doesn't work though.

--

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:21:50 -0400, John <johnpc@adelphiaDELETE.net> wrote:
>what do you have for a video card?
>what bios is on the a7 board?

The manual says Award. Without video, it's hard to confirm.

>my a7v8x-x had memory issues, would not see anything more than 512.
>now it is dead, everything powers up but no post, no beeps, no video signal.

What sort of simm arrangement?

I do have some concerns about the memory. It's PC2700 but the CPU only
has a 133Mhz (DDR266) front side bus. It's not an issue with the ECS
board. DDR266 if as fast as it goes. The Asus, though, could run the
memory at DDR333.

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:21:50 -0400, John <johnpc@adelphiaDELETE.net> wrote:
>i have/had similar issues.
>
>what do you have for a video card?
>what bios is on the a7 board?
>
>my a7v8x-x had memory issues, would not see anything more than 512.
>now it is dead, everything powers up but no post, no beeps, no video signal.
>
>good luck
>john
>
>btw i also moved from an ecs k7s5a board to the asus board.
>ever since then my ecs board has worked great, go figure.

Are you using the same CPU in both? I just moved the video and cpu back
to the K7S5A (2nd time) and now it is behaving just like the ASUS!

At this point, all ideas that I see are:

1) Coincidental wiring/shorting issue.
2) I somehow killed the processor when I moved it to the ASUS last time.
3) Flakey, but not dead, power supply.

The video card is again confirmed working in the ancient 486 box from
which it came.

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

I had a similar problem on a system I built for someone using that
board. I swapped everything in and out several times. All components
worked fine in other boards. Turned out it is apparently very picky
with memory. The memory I had used worked fine in other machines
(different MBs), but not in that one. I ended up getting a new stick of
PC2700, Kingston or PNY I believe it was, and it was happy. Been happy
ever since (knocking on wood now!). You might check the Asus web page
and see exactly which memory it says will work with that board and try that.