Moving Hard Drive Intact

Can I put my old hd (win xp) into a new system and will it still work? I
want to keep all my settings and files as they are without having to
reinstall everything. Sorry if its a silly question thank you
3 answers Last reply
More about moving hard drive intact

    Yes you can move your old HD to a new system and hook it up as the master
    BUT...........you will need to do a repair installation or XP will not start
    because the HAL will be different
    XP REPAIR

    Boot from the CD or you can insert the CD while at the windows desktop but
    when the setup screen appears, exit setup and reboot. If your system is set
    to be able to boot from the CD, it should detect the disk and give a brief
    message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.
    peter

    "peter" <peter@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    > Yes you can move your old HD to a new system and hook it up as the master
    > BUT...........you will need to do a repair installation or XP will not
    start
    > because the HAL will be different
    > XP REPAIR

    > Boot from the CD or you can insert the CD while at the windows desktop but
    > when the setup screen appears, exit setup and reboot. If your system is
    set
    > to be able to boot from the CD, it should detect the disk and give a brief
    > message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD press any
    key.

    > Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    > asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    > wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    > setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.
    >
    > Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    > with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    > using the Recovery console.
    >
    > The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    > press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement.
    Setup
    > will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    > version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    > install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    > on, follow the screens.
    > peter
    > "Ian" <iskin36removethis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Can I put my old hd (win xp) into a new system and will it still work? I
    > > want to keep all my settings and files as they are without having to
    > > reinstall everything. Sorry if its a silly question thank you
    > >
    > >Thank you will do it tommorrow.

    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=314082
    You Receive a Stop 0x0000007B Error After You Move the Windows XP System
    Disk to Another Computer

Hardware Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP