Does Anybody Know How to Reset the "Protection Counter" on..

I've been doing a lot of cleaning cycles, and now the ink and paper
feed lights are flashing back and forth. The driver says "service
required" and "Parts inside your printer are at the end of their
service life."

None of the button-pressing procedures for other Epson printers work.
Web sites with service manuals don't have the one for the C64. And the
SSC utility has the protection counter option greyed out with this
printer.

This information would be in the service manual, but a service manual
seller told me the manual for the C64 has not been released yet by
Epson.

I've learned by fiddling with the buttons on the C64 that if you hold
down the ink button and press and release the power button, the paper
feed and power buttons will begin flashing. You can then release the
ink button and then hold down the paper feed button for 10 seconds
until the flashing stops, and the printer will enter a special mode.
In this mode, momentary presses of the ink button will cycle the paper
feed button through 3 behaviors: slow flash, fast flash, and steady.
However, I can't get it to do anything else, and this doesn't reset
the protection counter.

I'm convinced this is an evil scheme of Epson's to hamper the
refilling of ink cartridges and force people to buy their obscenely
overpriced ink. I'm about ready to hit the USB port with my 70,000
volt stun gun, and send the printer back to Epson for warranty repair.

ST

Why so many cleanings? Clogged print heads?

HAHAHHAHAHAHH

"ST" <ST9001@klic.net> wrote in message
> Why so many cleanings? Clogged print heads?
>
> HAHAHHAHAHAHH

U know, I put a NEW black Epson Cart. in my CX3200 and The test page had
lines missing.. so I had to keep cleaning it until it started printing.. I
only ran a few cleanings, and a few test.. But it says I used 25% of my ink
doing that..
God bless epson for this.

I remember why My first inkjet went back to the store (back in about 92, and
I paid a lot for it too :p)..

God bless that old dot matrix printer!!!! .. I went through 2 ribbons in
about 8 years ;)

And a marker filling inbetween the lines wasnt that far off of the inkjets
quality either ;P

In article <4084af5b$0$27642$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>, me@me.me
(me) wrote:

> http://www.mofunzone.com/downloadsoftware/15000000036575.shtml

That site has an old version (2.7) of the software, which doesn't support
the C64. The latest (3.5), which does include C64 support, is available
from: http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

If it works on your printer, it's a good piece of software. However, some
of the functions don't work on my 2100 and I've heard nothing since
sending a report on the problem to the author, as requested, several
months ago.

Jon.

> > http://www.mofunzone.com/downloadsoftware/15000000036575.shtml
>
> That site has an old version (2.7) of the software, which doesn't support
> the C64. The latest (3.5), which does include C64 support, is available
> from: http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Unfortunately, v3.50 of the SSC utility only incompletely supports the
Epson C64. It can't reset the protection counter. It does allow
cleaning one color at a time and freezing ink levels.

> If it works on your printer, it's a good piece of software. However, some
> of the functions don't work on my 2100 and I've heard nothing since
> sending a report on the problem to the author, as requested, several
> months ago.

Don't complain about free software!

In article <203fffb9.0404201310.4d68e54c@posting.google.com>,
specious_pundit@yahoo.com (Santos L. Halper) wrote:

> Unfortunately, v3.50 of the SSC utility only incompletely supports the
> Epson C64.

Shame.

> Don't complain about free software!

Who's complaining? I said: 'If it works on your printer, it's a good piece
of software'. I then went on to indicate that there was a possibility that
it wouldn't and to warn that, if it didn't, the report the developers ask
you to send them may, apparently, disappear into thin air. I'd call it a
qualified recommendation!

Jon.

ME

Santos L. Halper wrote:
>>>http://www.mofunzone.com/downloadsoftware/15000000036575.shtml
>>
>>That site has an old version (2.7) of the software, which doesn't support
>>the C64. The latest (3.5), which does include C64 support, is available
>>from: http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

The link actually sends you to the one that you have mentioned where it
is 3.5.

In article <40866969$0$27649$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>, me@me.me
(me) wrote:

> The link actually sends you to the one that you have mentioned where it
> is 3.5.

When I click on it it takes me to a page that says: 'Version/File 2.70'

Jon.

ME

Jon O'Brien wrote:
> In article <40866969$0$27649$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>, me@me.me
> (me) wrote:
>

>>The link actually sends you to the one that you have mentioned where it
>>is 3.5.
>

> When I click on it it takes me to a page that says: 'Version/File 2.70'
>
> Jon.

I don't know what you are doing but that link (what ever it says V2.7)
takes you to the download page http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
which the current version is 3.5.

How about using the refresh button and see what happens then

DS

> > When I click on it it takes me to a page that says: 'Version/File 2.70'
> >
> > Jon.
>

> I don't know what you are doing but that link (what ever it says V2.7)
> takes you to the download page http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
> which the current version is 3.5.
>
> How about using the refresh button and see what happens then
>
> DS

Maybee I can spot the confusion (it's not really that hard to see)
On the first page you can actually download it.. and it says v2.7
But it also has a reference URL where you can go and get the newer version
of the package.

I think that's the confusion

In article <40875699$0$27644$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>, me@me.me
(me) wrote:

> I don't know what you are doing but that link (what ever it says V2.7)
> takes you to the download page http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
> which the current version is 3.5.

The link:

http://www.mofunzone.com/downloadsoftware/15000000036575.shtml

takes me to a page, with horrible dancing adverts, which says it's for
downloading V2.7. The download link on that page points to:

ftp://clgrps07.agt.net/pub/winsite/winxp/sysutil/sscserv.zip

I haven't bothered trying to download that file to check what version it
really is, as I already have V3.5.

> How about using the refresh button and see what happens then

Same thing. I've even won the hourly prize, again!

Jon.

In article <9DMhc.51$Rk.45@newsfe1-win>, .@text.news.virgin.net (rstlne)
wrote:

> Maybee I can spot the confusion...

Thanks!

> (it's not really that hard to see)

I wasn't looking any further than the obvious.

Jon.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:07 +0100 (BST), Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon
O'Brien) wrote:

>In article <40875699$0$27644$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>, me@me.me
>(me) wrote:
>
>> I don't know what you are doing but that link (what ever it says V2.7)
>> takes you to the download page http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
>> which the current version is 3.5.
>
>The link:
>
>http://www.mofunzone.com/downloadsoftware/15000000036575.shtml
>
>takes me to a page, with horrible dancing adverts, which says it's for
>downloading V2.7. The download link on that page points to:
>
>ftp://clgrps07.agt.net/pub/winsite/winxp/sysutil/sscserv.zip
>
>I haven't bothered trying to download that file to check what version it
>really is, as I already have V3.5.
>
>> How about using the refresh button and see what happens then
>
>Same thing. I've even won the hourly prize, again!
>
>Jon.

I have just had a e-mail back from him, and 3.6 will be out, with support for
the R200/210.

ME

puss@purrpurr.com wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:07 +0100 (BST), Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon
> O'Brien) wrote:
>

>>In article <40875699$0$27644$61ce578d@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au>, me@me.me
>>(me) wrote:
>>

>>>I don't know what you are doing but that link (what ever it says V2.7)
>>>takes you to the download page http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
>>>which the current version is 3.5.
>>
>>The link:
>>
>>http://www.mofunzone.com/downloadsoftware/15000000036575.shtml
>>
>>takes me to a page, with horrible dancing adverts, which says it's for
>>downloading V2.7. The download link on that page points to:
>>
>>ftp://clgrps07.agt.net/pub/winsite/winxp/sysutil/sscserv.zip
>>
>>I haven't bothered trying to download that file to check what version it
>>really is, as I already have V3.5.
>>

>>>How about using the refresh button and see what happens then
>>
>>Same thing. I've even won the hourly prize, again!
>>
>>Jon.
>

> I have just had a e-mail back from him, and 3.6 will be out, with support for
> the R200/210.

Did they mention if it will support more than whats with the R310?