Seeing files but wont share internet thru router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 15, 2004 9:31:01 AM

HI,

Im hoping someone can help. I have adsl connection and i want to use that
thru my main desktop machine. Im using a router which is set up for cable,
but i dont have cable.

The router has wireless and wired connection and i only use wireless. The
unit is fine for sharing files etc. But not for the internet. Can any help me
out?? The guide that came with it says u can use ICS but doesnt say how. I
have it set up but the machines wont communicate for internet thru the
router.

Thanks
Geoff
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 15, 2004 12:23:05 PM

The router you have the moment is designed to be connected a Cable Modem,
there should be a RJ45 thats says internet on it somewhere.

To get around this, you would have to either buy a ADSL Modem with one RJ45
port on it to link to your current router, or take your router back and
exchange for a ADSL Wireless Router WITH BUILT IN MODEM.

I noticed that the BUILT IN MODEM part is stated very clear on some packaging.

Hope that helps
Scott

"Steelwind101" wrote:

> HI,
>
> Im hoping someone can help. I have adsl connection and i want to use that
> thru my main desktop machine. Im using a router which is set up for cable,
> but i dont have cable.
>
> The router has wireless and wired connection and i only use wireless. The
> unit is fine for sharing files etc. But not for the internet. Can any help me
> out?? The guide that came with it says u can use ICS but doesnt say how. I
> have it set up but the machines wont communicate for internet thru the
> router.
>
> Thanks
> Geoff
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 29, 2004 3:11:13 AM

check and make sure the ASDL Modem doesn't have a router
built in. If you can plug in one of your computers
directly to the modem and try to access the internet, that
will help pinpoint the problem. If your modem does have a
router built in, you will need to bridge the 2 connections
together. You can do that in network connections by
clicking the broadband and network connections...right
clicking and selecting bridge connections.

!