I have a new processor ( 2600+) in combination with the AMD 2600+ processor
i have 512 MB (333mhz) memory installed

what are the best settings on the mainboard.??? this moment its installed
on 2300Mhz ( automatic) but the processor temp is rather high 80C 174 F

How can i get teh best settings???

i have 512 MB (333mhz) memory installed

gr Koos

I have almost the identical config running out of the box and the ASUS probe
says 42 C. Its not doing much though. Even when the room gets up about
28 or so the temp neve shows above 49 C. My guess is you have something
wrong like a badly seated cooler or bad software or something
"koos" <ab@ab.nl> wrote in message
> I have a new processor ( 2600+) in combination with the AMD 2600+
processor
> i have 512 MB (333mhz) memory installed
>
> what are the best settings on the mainboard.??? this moment its installed
> on 2300Mhz ( automatic) but the processor temp is rather high 80C 174 F
>
> How can i get teh best settings???
>
> i have 512 MB (333mhz) memory installed
>

> gr Koos

"koos" <ab@ab.nl> wrote in message
> I have a new processor ( 2600+) in combination with the AMD 2600+
processor
> i have 512 MB (333mhz) memory installed
>
> what are the best settings on the mainboard.??? this moment its installed
> on 2300Mhz ( automatic) but the processor temp is rather high 80C 174 F
>
> How can i get teh best settings???
>
> i have 512 MB (333mhz) memory installed
>

> gr Koos

no need to worry about settings
your processor is damn near death..
U ned to run it with the sidepanel off while you figgure out what your
problem is..
It sounds to me like you have the fsb set incorrectly to 200mhz (400mhz ddr)
that chip should be @ 1909mhz I think

"notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
> I have almost the identical config running out of the box and the ASUS
probe
> says 42 C. Its not doing much though. Even when the room gets up about
> 28 or so the temp neve shows above 49 C. My guess is you have something
> wrong like a badly seated cooler or bad software or something

ASUS Probe is not good for checking temps
It only gives you the cpu socket temp (not the actual cpu on die temp)
when I first set my 2500+ to 3200+ speed asus probe show'd it only bieng 60c
(not too bad)
mbm5 however show'd me that my ACTUAL cpu temp was beyond the max limit
supplied by amd.

i have installed mbm5 and that program shows that the temp. is much lower
then asus probe tells me

the CPU temp is at max 58C so that seems to be much better.

gr. Koos
"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> schreef in bericht

> "notritenoteri" <coldasfire@hades.com> wrote in message
> > I have almost the identical config running out of the box and the ASUS
> probe
> > says 42 C. Its not doing much though. Even when the room gets up
about
> > 28 or so the temp neve shows above 49 C. My guess is you have something
> > wrong like a badly seated cooler or bad software or something
>
> ASUS Probe is not good for checking temps
> It only gives you the cpu socket temp (not the actual cpu on die temp)
> when I first set my 2500+ to 3200+ speed asus probe show'd it only bieng
60c
> (not too bad)
> mbm5 however show'd me that my ACTUAL cpu temp was beyond the max limit
> supplied by amd.

In message <klYBc.421$HY4.208@amsnews03.chello.com>, koos <ab@ab.nl>
writes
>i have installed mbm5 and that program shows that the temp. is much lower
>then asus probe tells me
>
>the CPU temp is at max 58C so that seems to be much better.

I've got three A7V600 machines and none of them have given me any reason
to think that the asus probe CPU temp values are way out.
(Put it like this, they match the BIOS health status figures)

Once your machine is up to temp, go into your BIOS and check.
Just because MBM tells you its 58....... maybe MBM is wrong!

Whatever - even 58C is too high if there is nothing going on. On idle
you should be more like 40-45.
Sort this first and fast.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'

They probably read temperature from different diodes.
One is on the motherboard, under the CPU.
The other one is on the CPU. It far more accurate, but
obviously gives much higher readings.

"Gareth Jones" <usenet@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <klYBc.421$HY4.208@amsnews03.chello.com>, koos <ab@ab.nl>
> writes
> >i have installed mbm5 and that program shows that the temp. is much
lower
> >then asus probe tells me
> >
> >the CPU temp is at max 58C so that seems to be much better.
>
> I've got three A7V600 machines and none of them have given me any reason
> to think that the asus probe CPU temp values are way out.
> (Put it like this, they match the BIOS health status figures)
>
> Once your machine is up to temp, go into your BIOS and check.
> Just because MBM tells you its 58....... maybe MBM is wrong!
>
> Whatever - even 58C is too high if there is nothing going on. On idle
> you should be more like 40-45.
> Sort this first and fast.

Yea..
in MBM 5 you have 2 temp sensors to monitor the cpu with..
in asus probe you only have 1
this is where the big benefit of MBM comes in..
40-45c isnt possible for chip temp really..
40-45c is probably the norm for the cpu socket temp however

In message <6c1Cc.154379$IT.1514056@wagner.videotron.net>, Natéag
<nono@nowhere.ca> writes
>They probably read temperature from different diodes.
>One is on the motherboard, under the CPU.
>The other one is on the CPU. It far more accurate, but
>obviously gives much higher readings.

Its been a while since I've used MBM, and it was on a different board,
but I seem to remember that was quite easy to get the setup wrong and
you could end up looking at the wrong sensor ???

That's why I generally just use the built in BIOS sensors - they seem to
give a good enough indication of when things are operating as they
should.

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'

> Its been a while since I've used MBM, and it was on a different board,
> but I seem to remember that was quite easy to get the setup wrong and
> you could end up looking at the wrong sensor ???
>
> That's why I generally just use the built in BIOS sensors - they seem to
> give a good enough indication of when things are operating as they
> should.

Generally yes
Read my post earlier in this thread saying how it gave me a false
impression.

In message <eDcCc.41$UF6.31@newsfe3-gui>, rstlne
<?.?@text.news.virgin.net.invalid> writes
>> Its been a while since I've used MBM, and it was on a different board,
>> but I seem to remember that was quite easy to get the setup wrong and
>> you could end up looking at the wrong sensor ???
>>
>> That's why I generally just use the built in BIOS sensors - they seem to
>> give a good enough indication of when things are operating as they
>> should.
>>

>Generally yes
>Read my post earlier in this thread saying how it gave me a false
>impression.

Could you clarify this please?

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'

> >Generally yes
> >Read my post earlier in this thread saying how it gave me a false
> >impression.
>
> Could you clarify this please?

Guess you cant view earlier threads?

"ASUS Probe is not good for checking temps
It only gives you the cpu socket temp (not the actual cpu on die temp)
when I first set my 2500+ to 3200+ speed asus probe show'd it only bieng 60c
(not too bad)
mbm5 however show'd me that my ACTUAL cpu temp was beyond the max limit
supplied by amd."

FYI ..
my cpu core was running in the 80c+ range often..
asusprobe saying 60c told me it was good..
The heatsink was on correctly too, it was just WAY WAY WAY less than what I
needed.. I was running my fan speeds all the way down too..
I reinstalled it like twice to make sure everything was 100% .. even got as5
to go on it (no help)..
the heatsink I use now keeps the core & socket temps within about 5c of each
other.

so the op saying he see's 80c means that if he has a heatsink that's not up
to the task
he could be FAR FAR FAR over the cpu max (110c+, but the chip would be dead)
if the heatsink is good then I would expect him to be 85/90 max.

This is where I say asus probe can be misleading.. the numbers it provides
are "usually" correct (should be same values that mbm5 pulls). It's just
that probe doesnt allow you to monitor the most important temp in the
system.

the Op's problem was verry simple however
he was running his chip @ 200fsb instead of 166 (or some would say 400
instead of 333)

In message <GLdCc.465$oR3.285@newsfe3-win.server.ntli.net>, rstlne
<?.?@text.news.virgin.net.invalid> writes
>> >Generally yes
>> >Read my post earlier in this thread saying how it gave me a false
>> >impression.
>>
>> Could you clarify this please?
>>

>Guess you cant view earlier threads?

I can, and did. Your use of 'it' was ambiguous and could have referred
to two different things. I just needed clarification.

>FYI ..
>my cpu core was running in the 80c+ range often..
>asusprobe saying 60c told me it was good..
>The heatsink was on correctly too, it was just WAY WAY WAY less than what I
>needed.. I was running my fan speeds all the way down too..

Asus probe saying 60c is telling me BAD.
Obviously the core temp is greater than the socket, but if you are
experiencing a heatwave, and the inside of the house has become
unbearable, it doesn't need a brain surgeon to know that the outside is
also way too hot for comfort even though the temp doesn't match your
inside wall mounted thermometer!

The cooling capacity of the HSF is a combination of the heatsink design,
fan speed and efficiency, and case air temp. If you had the fan running
too slow, asusprobe would have shown that up by giving a CPU value >50c
or so.

>This is where I say asus probe can be misleading.. the numbers it provides
>are "usually" correct (should be same values that mbm5 pulls). It's just
>that probe doesnt allow you to monitor the most important temp in the
>system.

While I agree that the most accurate sensor should be the CPU one
itself, I'd argue that for most people, the socket sensor can give a
good enough indication of the state of the CPU temp. You just don't use
the absolute core temp specs given by the manufacturer as the reference.

>the Op's problem was verry simple however
>he was running his chip @ 200fsb instead of 166 (or some would say 400
>instead of 333)

Well I've obviously missed that one!
But its wrong whatever, because increasing the clock speed by that much
wouldn't cause a 'normal' temp to jump to the one quoted.