ASUS P4PE motherboard, RAID-0 offline problem.

ASUS P4PE motherboard, RAID-0 offline problem.

I have never used standby mode on my computer before, but when I tried
it, my RAID-0 drive stopped working. When I boot up, I get the
following error message:

Problem is detected with Array1

Array No: Array 1
RAID Mode: Stripe
Total Drives: 2
Capacity: 120044

My motherboard is an ASUS P4PE. The raid-0 consists of 2 Western
Digital 60GB.

There is a FastBuild utility that I can use, but don't know the effect
of using it. I don't want to destroy the data I have on the raid-0
drive.

MBFastBuild (tm) Utility 1.21 (c) 1996-2001 Promise Technology, Inc.

1. Auto Setup
2. View Drive Assignments
3. View Array
4. Delete Array
5. Rebuild Array
6. Controller Configuration

Any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about asus p4pe motherboard raid offline problem

    If you use a stripe array yr data is spread across two drives, therefore you
    are unlikely to have any usable data on the single drive - other than by
    using disk editing software -
    You might as well rebuild the array
    If you wish to have data available at all times, in the event of hd failure,
    you should use a mirror array

    "." <spam_eliminator@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > ASUS P4PE motherboard, RAID-0 offline problem.
    >
    > I have never used standby mode on my computer before, but when I tried
    > it, my RAID-0 drive stopped working. When I boot up, I get the
    > following error message:
    >
    > Problem is detected with Array1
    >
    > Array No: Array 1
    > RAID Mode: Stripe
    > Total Drives: 2
    > Capacity: 120044
    >
    > My motherboard is an ASUS P4PE. The raid-0 consists of 2 Western
    > Digital 60GB.
    >
    > There is a FastBuild utility that I can use, but don't know the effect
    > of using it. I don't want to destroy the data I have on the raid-0
    > drive.
    >
    > MBFastBuild (tm) Utility 1.21 (c) 1996-2001 Promise Technology, Inc.

    > 1. Auto Setup
    > 2. View Drive Assignments
    > 3. View Array
    > 4. Delete Array
    > 5. Rebuild Array
    > 6. Controller Configuration
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Hi,

    At a guess I would say the standby has disagreed with the RAID driver. The
    status implies that both discs are completely offline (IE not in a ready
    state) - may be wrong.

    I would just shutdown and restart and see if it comes back.

    If you had any applications with files open on the drives at the time of
    standby then you may have file corruptions.

    Check on Promise web site to see if there are driver / firmware updates that
    address the standby issue and also for any help on how to recover /
    clarification of Fastbuild, array status etc.

    I would not use standby until this is 100% cleared up and would test standby
    on a drive you can afford to reformat.

    As per D's comments: if the data is important then you should not be using
    RAID 0.

    - Tim

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:<cbbf1q$an5$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > At a guess I would say the standby has disagreed with the RAID driver. The
    > status implies that both discs are completely offline (IE not in a ready
    > state) - may be wrong.
    >
    > I would just shutdown and restart and see if it comes back.
    >
    > If you had any applications with files open on the drives at the time of
    > standby then you may have file corruptions.
    >
    > Check on Promise web site to see if there are driver / firmware updates that
    > address the standby issue and also for any help on how to recover /
    > clarification of Fastbuild, array status etc.
    >
    > I would not use standby until this is 100% cleared up and would test standby
    > on a drive you can afford to reformat.
    >
    > As per D's comments: if the data is important then you should not be using
    > RAID 0.
    >
    > - Tim
    >

    > "." <spam_eliminator@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > > ASUS P4PE motherboard, RAID-0 offline problem.
    > >
    > > I have never used standby mode on my computer before, but when I tried
    > > it, my RAID-0 drive stopped working. When I boot up, I get the
    > > following error message:
    > >
    > > Problem is detected with Array1
    > >
    > > Array No: Array 1
    > > RAID Mode: Stripe
    > > Total Drives: 2
    > > Capacity: 120044
    > >
    > > My motherboard is an ASUS P4PE. The raid-0 consists of 2 Western
    > > Digital 60GB.
    > >
    > > There is a FastBuild utility that I can use, but don't know the effect
    > > of using it. I don't want to destroy the data I have on the raid-0
    > > drive.
    > >
    > > MBFastBuild (tm) Utility 1.21 (c) 1996-2001 Promise Technology, Inc.

    > > 1. Auto Setup
    > > 2. View Drive Assignments
    > > 3. View Array
    > > 4. Delete Array
    > > 5. Rebuild Array
    > > 6. Controller Configuration
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    P4PE Motherboard User Guide:

    ref: Page 5-31

    ---Delete Array: This command deletes an array to reconfigure the
    system. Deleting an array does not remove information on the hard
    disks. If an array is deleted by mistake, recover it immediately by
    redefining it as the deleted array---

    I've tested this after standby mode put one of my RAID-0 drives
    offline. Assuming the array was created with default settings (see
    user guide), it's a simple case of deleting the array and then
    redefining it.

Asus NAS / RAID Motherboards