"You cannot leave a message for this number" Huh?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 22, 2004 8:30:34 PM

My husband and I both have the Motorola V400 and live in Southern California
Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. We were both in the San Diego area over the
weekend and when I tried to leave him a voice mail I got the above message.
He said he tried to leave me a message as well and received the same
message. WHAT GIVES? San Diego is about 120 miles from where we live. You
cannot leave a message for someone while roaming?
dot
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 8:30:35 PM

"Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote in message
> My husband and I both have the Motorola V400 and live in Southern
California
> Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. We were both in the San Diego area over
the
> weekend and when I tried to leave him a voice mail I got the above
message.
> He said he tried to leave me a message as well and received the same
> message. WHAT GIVES? San Diego is about 120 miles from where we live.
You
> cannot leave a message for someone while roaming?
> dot

No, because your voicemail is handled by your own carrier. In the past,
I've had this problem, but not as severe as what you describe. With
verizon, for example, you could leave a voicemail message for me if I was
roaming. The catch is, my phone wouldn't notify me of a message waiting
until I was no longer roaming. In a way, it makes more sense for the
voicemail to be rejected, as then you don't get the false impression that
your message will be delivered in a timely manner. I can't count the number
of pissed-off people who told me "but I left a message on your voicemail . .
.. ." -Dave
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 11:16:04 PM

In article <K8ZBc.59412$wO4.17482@twister.socal.rr.com>,
"Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote:

> My husband and I both have the Motorola V400 and live in Southern California
> Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. We were both in the San Diego area over the
> weekend and when I tried to leave him a voice mail I got the above message.
> He said he tried to leave me a message as well and received the same
> message. WHAT GIVES? San Diego is about 120 miles from where we live. You
> cannot leave a message for someone while roaming?
> dot

any feature beyond simple voice may not be available while roaming.
Related resources
June 22, 2004 11:36:58 PM

Dot wrote:

> My husband and I both have the Motorola V400 and live in Southern California
> Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. We were both in the San Diego area over the
> weekend and when I tried to leave him a voice mail I got the above message.
> He said he tried to leave me a message as well and received the same
> message. WHAT GIVES? San Diego is about 120 miles from where we live. You
> cannot leave a message for someone while roaming?
> dot

Have you or your husband ever received a voice message on your current
accounts? I know that's sounds like a stupid question but voice mail
features don't work until they're set up by the user.

If you have, ring your carrier's CSR department to ask them to
straighten it out - because if you don't answer an inbound call,
everything that happens after that is the carrier's responsibility
regardless where you are or what handset you're using.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

"Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote in message
> My husband and I both have the Motorola V400 and live in Southern
California
> Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. We were both in the San Diego area over
the
> weekend and when I tried to leave him a voice mail I got the above
message.
> He said he tried to leave me a message as well and received the same
> message. WHAT GIVES? San Diego is about 120 miles from where we live.
You
> cannot leave a message for someone while roaming?
> dot

No, because your voicemail is handled by your own carrier. In the past,
I've had this problem, but not as severe as what you describe. With
verizon, for example, you could leave a voicemail message for me if I was
roaming. The catch is, my phone wouldn't notify me of a message waiting
until I was no longer roaming. In a way, it makes more sense for the
voicemail to be rejected, as then you don't get the false impression that
your message will be delivered in a timely manner. I can't count the number
of pissed-off people who told me "but I left a message on your voicemail . .
.. ." -Dave

You mean to tell me that if you are a businessman and while traveling no one
can leave you a voicemail??? What the *ell good is it then?

dot
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 12:05:15 AM

> You mean to tell me that if you are a businessman and while traveling no
one
> can leave you a voicemail??? What the *ell good is it then?
>
> dot

While travelling, there is usually no problem receiving both phone calls and
voicemail messages. However, if you happen to roam off-network, THAT is
when the problem happens. Of course, that could happen in your own home
town, depending on how the local towers are laid out. Travelling has
nothing to do with it, other than you are less likely to know IN ADVANCE
where the "roaming" areas are while travelling. Even if you have a recently
updated map, you still won't know the coverage until you actually get
here. -Dave
June 23, 2004 12:06:06 AM

What do you mean by "simple voicemail"? We couldn't even get that!
dot

"Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote:

> My husband and I both have the Motorola V400 and live in Southern
California
> Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. We were both in the San Diego area over
the
> weekend and when I tried to leave him a voice mail I got the above
message.
> He said he tried to leave me a message as well and received the same
> message. WHAT GIVES? San Diego is about 120 miles from where we live.
You
> cannot leave a message for someone while roaming?
> dot

any feature beyond simple voice may not be available while roaming.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 12:06:07 AM

"Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote in message
news:o i0Cc.59883$wO4.19570@twister.socal.rr.com...
> What do you mean by "simple voicemail"? We couldn't even get that!
> dot

He said simple voice, and he is right. -Dave
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 1:36:04 AM

In article <2jrk16F133qeoU1@uni-berlin.de>, mdupre@sff.net says...

> > You mean to tell me that if you are a businessman and while traveling no
> one
> > can leave you a voicemail??? What the *ell good is it then?
> >
> > dot
>

> While travelling, there is usually no problem receiving both phone calls and
> voicemail messages. However, if you happen to roam off-network, THAT is
> when the problem happens. Of course, that could happen in your own home
> town, depending on how the local towers are laid out. Travelling has
> nothing to do with it, other than you are less likely to know IN ADVANCE
> where the "roaming" areas are while travelling. Even if you have a recently
> updated map, you still won't know the coverage until you actually get
> here. -Dave

I'm dumbfounded if this is consistent of GSM in Calif. It certainly
isn't true across the board. I've roamed all over Texas on Cingular
TDMA for years and recently with GSM on a GAIT phone. I've received
hundreds of voice mail messages correctly while on other carriers and
I've always received a voice mail indicator if I was within a digital
area. Even when the other carrier didn't support text messaging the VM
indictor would always go through. When in an AMPS area the VM indicator
would be received just as soon as I re-entered a digital area. Nobody
has *ever* mentioned NOT getting kicked back to my home carrier voice
mail. AFAIK *all* the cellular systems have provisions for returning
callers to home carrier voice mail including AMPS. I did have some
trouble at first with callers getting kicked back TOO QUICKLY but that
was fixed by having CS increase the ring time to max.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

> I'm dumbfounded if this is consistent of GSM in Calif. It certainly
> isn't true across the board. I've roamed all over Texas on Cingular
> TDMA for years and recently with GSM on a GAIT phone. I've received
> hundreds of voice mail messages correctly while on other carriers and
> I've always received a voice mail indicator if I was within a digital
> area. Even when the other carrier didn't support text messaging the VM
> indictor would always go through.

Oh, don't misunderstand me. I travel extensively with Cingular GSM, and
haven't seen the problem mentioned in the OP yet. However, I have seen this
no-voicemail-while-roaming problem on all other carriers including Verizon.
So I know it happens, and I understand why it happens. Basically, not all
non-voice features are supported by all networks. So you might be able to
make phone calls on someone else's towers, but that doesn't mean that you
will get voicemail service or text messages or . . .

So while I haven't seen it happen with Cingular yet, it doesn't surprise me
to hear about it. Par for the course, with cellular. -Dave
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 3:10:58 AM

In article <Oi0Cc.59883$wO4.19570@twister.socal.rr.com>,
"Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote:

> What do you mean by "simple voicemail"? We couldn't even get that!
> dot

Read it more slwly. I said "simple voice". Not "voicemail".

> "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
> In article <K8ZBc.59412$wO4.17482@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> "Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote:
>
> > My husband and I both have the Motorola V400 and live in Southern
> California
> > Palm Springs/Palm Desert area. We were both in the San Diego area over
> the
> > weekend and when I tried to leave him a voice mail I got the above
> message.
> > He said he tried to leave me a message as well and received the same
> > message. WHAT GIVES? San Diego is about 120 miles from where we live.
> You
> > cannot leave a message for someone while roaming?
> > dot
>
> any feature beyond simple voice may not be available while roaming.
June 23, 2004 11:17:16 AM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:05:14 GMT, "Dot" <dot@spam.com> wrote:

>No, because your voicemail is handled by your own carrier. In the past,
>I've had this problem, but not as severe as what you describe. With
>verizon, for example, you could leave a voicemail message for me if I was
>roaming. The catch is, my phone wouldn't notify me of a message waiting
>until I was no longer roaming. In a way, it makes more sense for the
>voicemail to be rejected, as then you don't get the false impression that
>your message will be delivered in a timely manner. I can't count the number
>of pissed-off people who told me "but I left a message on your voicemail . .

GSM roaming is seamless and your voicemail notifications should reach
you wherever you are if you are able to register on any GSM network.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
June 23, 2004 11:20:12 AM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:25:08 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>Oh, don't misunderstand me. I travel extensively with Cingular GSM, and
>haven't seen the problem mentioned in the OP yet. However, I have seen this
>no-voicemail-while-roaming problem on all other carriers including Verizon.

Verizon and Sprint PCS CDMA networks are not "seamless" like the GSM
networks are.

>So I know it happens, and I understand why it happens. Basically, not all
>non-voice features are supported by all networks. So you might be able to
>make phone calls on someone else's towers, but that doesn't mean that you
>will get voicemail service or text messages or . . .
>
>So while I haven't seen it happen with Cingular yet, it doesn't surprise me
>to hear about it. Par for the course, with cellular. -Dave

No, it is not "par for the course." A properly implemented GSM system
you will always get your voicemail alerts. That won't happen with
CDMA systems such as Verizon and Sprint PCS.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
June 24, 2004 3:53:18 AM

OOPS!
Sorry for the HTML...I forgot to switch formats.
June 24, 2004 3:53:19 AM

Dot wrote:
> OOPS!
> Sorry for the HTML...I forgot to switch formats.

That's okay Dot, sometimes I forget to put my socks on and nobody has
roasted my chestnuts about it. Personally, I'm just glad they're all
the same colour. Glad to hear things worked out.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
June 24, 2004 7:06:08 PM

LOL
Thanks Jer.