Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 built-in VPN client

Last response: in Windows 7
October 29, 2009 12:07:37 AM

Hello,

I recently got Windows 7 Ultimate (retail) and I am mucking about trying to get the build in VPN client working.

I have all the necessary settings I need, in terms of security authentication, etc.
I was able to use Snow Leopard on my Mac to easily set up an IPSEC VPN tunnel.

In Snow Leopard when you configure and IPSEC VPN client, it allows you a spot to specify "Group Name" and "Shared Secret". I used my old Cisco settings of GroupName and GroupPwd (from my PCF file) for these respectively and was able to get a VPN connection without problem.

My problem with Windows 7, is that the only setting I can't seem to find (anywhere in the interface at least), is a place to specify this "group name".

Has anyone successfully set up the built-in Win7 client without having to use a VPN Client like Open VPN, or other external client? I would like to be able to use the Windows 7 version versus an open source or downloadable product - which could pose security risks due to the very nature of their sources.

Thanks,
Mark

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2009 12:34:48 PM

That feature requires Windows Server 2008 (R2)
November 1, 2012 10:30:37 AM

Hi Mark,

I have the same problems with Win7 - linux is much easier. Did you find a good solution?

and btw:

MarkToronto said:

Has anyone successfully set up the built-in Win7 client without having to use a VPN Client like Open VPN, or other external client? I would like to be able to use the Windows 7 version versus an open source or downloadable product - which could pose security risks due to the very nature of their sources.

Makes *no* sense at all. Why should open source apps pose more security risks? - With open source, you can actually *look* in the source code to see if there should be any hacks/back doors. This is a luxury you *don't* get with closed source apps. Chances are higher that MS made a deal with NSA to allow easy peeking than any OSS doing the same ;) 

- Lars
!