P4P800-e and Antec power supplies

Edward

About a month ago I read several messages about a compatibility problem
with the P4P800-e and Antec power supplies. Has this been resolved by
Antec or Asus? Does anyone know of a work around? I would like to buy
the p4p800-e, but I want the Antec Sonata case because it is supposed to
be so quiet. Thanks.

Edward

P4P800E-delux here,
ANTEC 480W, TruePower.
...HEAVEN :)

"Edward" <Edward@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> About a month ago I read several messages about a compatibility problem
> with the P4P800-e and Antec power supplies. Has this been resolved by
> Antec or Asus? Does anyone know of a work around? I would like to buy
> the p4p800-e, but I want the Antec Sonata case because it is supposed to
> be so quiet. Thanks.
>
> Edward

I just finished building a system with a Sonata case and a P4P800E DLX
Runs great!
Added a Zalman CNPS7000ACU as well.
Fits fine and works well.

Rocky

"Edward" <Edward@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> About a month ago I read several messages about a compatibility problem
> with the P4P800-e and Antec power supplies. Has this been resolved by
> Antec or Asus? Does anyone know of a work around? I would like to buy
> the p4p800-e, but I want the Antec Sonata case because it is supposed to
> be so quiet. Thanks.

I built a system around the P4C800-ED which is basically the same as the P4P
except it is 875 instead of 865, and mine runs great in the Antex Sonata
case.

--
Rocky
www.ghostrecon.net | www.agr-s.com | www.tactical-elite.net

__

Edward

Thanks for the replies. According to a thread on ABXZone, Asus even
admitted the problem. I might have to give it a try now.

"Voyager2k2" <no@spam.net> wrote in message

> "Edward" <Edward@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > About a month ago I read several messages about a compatibility problem
> > with the P4P800-e and Antec power supplies. Has this been resolved by
> > Antec or Asus? Does anyone know of a work around? I would like to buy
> > the p4p800-e, but I want the Antec Sonata case because it is supposed to
> > be so quiet. Thanks.
> >
> > Edward
> >

> I just finished building a system with a Sonata case and a P4P800E DLX
> Runs great!
> Added a Zalman CNPS7000ACU as well.
> Fits fine and works well.

Antec Truepower 550 and P4P800 - No problems at all here.

Freddie

Rocky

> Thanks for the replies. According to a thread on ABXZone, Asus even
> admitted the problem. I might have to give it a try now.

Got a link? I can't see it.

Alistair

Edward

http://tinyurl.com/yu9ql

Search p4p800-e and antec on abxzone.com if the above url does not get
you there; I think there are 40 messages in the thread:

This is the message:
"I spoke to support at Antec today and they confirmed a problem between
Antec psu and certain revision # Asus P4p800e-deluxe mb's. Antec gave me
the # and ext to Asus support. Asus emailed me the info to get an RMA
for a new mb. I am glad to finally find a fix, but after all is done I
will have around $60.00 in shipping for a problem that was none of my
doing. Hope others will find this out before getting in too deep.

For the record the revision # for my board is 1.02"

"Edward" <edward@nojunkforme.com> wrote in message
> http://tinyurl.com/yu9ql
>
> Search p4p800-e and antec on abxzone.com if the above url does not get
> you there; I think there are 40 messages in the thread:
>
> This is the message:
> "I spoke to support at Antec today and they confirmed a problem between
> Antec psu and certain revision # Asus P4p800e-deluxe mb's. Antec gave me
> the # and ext to Asus support. Asus emailed me the info to get an RMA
> for a new mb. I am glad to finally find a fix, but after all is done I
> will have around $60.00 in shipping for a problem that was none of my
> doing. Hope others will find this out before getting in too deep.
>
> For the record the revision # for my board is 1.02"

How do you find out the rev # of the board??

I have a P4P800-E Deluxe sitting in its box waiting for an Antec case w/-
power supply to go into.....

There is nothing obvious on any of the serial numbers on the box.

Thanks, Stupot

Edward,
I've got a fine working P4P800-E deluxe rev 1.02 + ANTEC TruePower 480W.

To quote one of the post in the link you provided:
"I told the Asus tech my exact setup and he said he would test the mb with an Antec
ps before shipping it out. He said the problem was detecting the voltage on the 4 pin. "

According to my ANTEC pinout, Pin4 is +5VDC RED.
I don't see how in the world the motherboard could fail that ??
As I was looking around for details about what kind of 'junk' :p is in the Sonata,
I found some more details.

"Il s'agit d'un probleme venant de Asus pour les cartes mere dont le code inscrit
sur le bord de la carte mere à coté des ports IDE et lecteur disquette se finit par 02
(moi c'est ...-A02). Le probleme est "reglé" avec les cartes meres avec un code finissant par 03. "
http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Hardware/sujet-594004-1.htm (for the records)

Short translation summary:
"Problem is from Asus, with mobo's having a number finishing with 02, along near
the IDE and floppy ports... It's solved on boards finishing with 03"

Indeed, I opened my casing and checked the tiny numbers... "(.long serial)..MBLCW0 -A03"
So My motherboard is one of the Fixed versions.

That should reassure those with a rev 1.02 as well.
Regards,

>Edward wrote in message ...
>http://tinyurl.com/yu9ql
>
>Search p4p800-e and antec on abxzone.com if the above url does not get
>you there; I think there are 40 messages in the thread:
>
>This is the message:
>"I spoke to support at Antec today and they confirmed a problem between
>Antec psu and certain revision # Asus P4p800e-deluxe mb's. Antec gave me
>the # and ext to Asus support. Asus emailed me the info to get an RMA
>for a new mb. I am glad to finally find a fix, but after all is done I
>will have around $60.00 in shipping for a problem that was none of my
>doing. Hope others will find this out before getting in too deep.
>
>For the record the revision # for my board is 1.02"

(..)

Edward

Thanks for the help James. How long have you had your board? The
message thread I attached was from late April - mid May. I wonder if
there is any way to request a board that ends in 03.

James Bald wrote:
> Edward,
> I've got a fine working P4P800-E deluxe rev 1.02 + ANTEC TruePower 480W.
>
> To quote one of the post in the link you provided:
> "I told the Asus tech my exact setup and he said he would test the mb with an Antec
> ps before shipping it out. He said the problem was detecting the voltage on the 4 pin. "
>
> According to my ANTEC pinout, Pin4 is +5VDC RED.
> I don't see how in the world the motherboard could fail that ??
> As I was looking around for details about what kind of 'junk' :p is in the Sonata,
> I found some more details.
>
> "Il s'agit d'un probleme venant de Asus pour les cartes mere dont le code inscrit
> sur le bord de la carte mere à coté des ports IDE et lecteur disquette se finit par 02
> (moi c'est ...-A02). Le probleme est "reglé" avec les cartes meres avec un code finissant par 03. "
> http://forum.hardware.fr/hardwarefr/Hardware/sujet-594004-1.htm (for the records)
>
> Short translation summary:
> "Problem is from Asus, with mobo's having a number finishing with 02, along near
> the IDE and floppy ports... It's solved on boards finishing with 03"
>
> Indeed, I opened my casing and checked the tiny numbers... "(.long serial)..MBLCW0 -A03"
> So My motherboard is one of the Fixed versions.
>
> That should reassure those with a rev 1.02 as well.
> Regards,
>

>>Edward wrote in message ...
>>http://tinyurl.com/yu9ql
>>
>>Search p4p800-e and antec on abxzone.com if the above url does not get
>>you there; I think there are 40 messages in the thread:
>>
>>This is the message:
>>"I spoke to support at Antec today and they confirmed a problem between
>>Antec psu and certain revision # Asus P4p800e-deluxe mb's. Antec gave me
>>the # and ext to Asus support. Asus emailed me the info to get an RMA
>>for a new mb. I am glad to finally find a fix, but after all is done I
>>will have around $60.00 in shipping for a problem that was none of my
>>doing. Hope others will find this out before getting in too deep.
>>
>>For the record the revision # for my board is 1.02"
>>

> (..)

Got mine since a few weeks now. Brand new; Still excited by the perfs. :)

Since you know all the details now on what to avoid and what works;
I suggest you pay a visit to your nearest computer shop that holds ASUS stocks.
Even more; You could still shop for best prices, and ask the salesman with the
exact detail of the board revision / serial ending you want not.
If he does not hold this popular board in stocks, he's gonna pick-up the phone
and tell the guy holding stocks.... Don't risk anything now that you are aware;
The box is never scealed, you can easily, carefully ask the guy to pull it out of
the anti-static wrapper and see for yourself.

That will be the day :)
Yet, I think chances you get one of the early boards are low.