A7N8X deluxe boot from RAID

I have two drives mirrored with the onboard RAID and Windows lives on
them. All was well until I installed another SATA RAID controller
(3ware).

The 3ware bios comes up first during boot (before the onboard bios),
the system sees there is no OS on the 3ware RAID and refuses to boot.

I couldn't see in the Award BIOS any setting to force booting from the
onboard SATA RAID. I think the main problem is that I have two SATA
controllers, and the one that doesn't have the OS always comes up
first.

Any ideas?

Kiriakos

mark

kg.google@olympiakos.com (Kiriakos Georgiou) wrote in message news:<1f59e260.0406231038.c7c4ab6@posting.google.com>...
> I have two drives mirrored with the onboard RAID and Windows lives on
> them. All was well until I installed another SATA RAID controller
> (3ware).
>
> The 3ware bios comes up first during boot (before the onboard bios),
> the system sees there is no OS on the 3ware RAID and refuses to boot.
>
> I couldn't see in the Award BIOS any setting to force booting from the
> onboard SATA RAID. I think the main problem is that I have two SATA
> controllers, and the one that doesn't have the OS always comes up
> first.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Kiriakos

DO you have "boot other devices" enabled?

Paul

Splendid

In article <1f59e260.0406231038.c7c4ab6@posting.google.com>,
kg.google@olympiakos.com (Kiriakos Georgiou) wrote:

> I have two drives mirrored with the onboard RAID and Windows lives on
> them. All was well until I installed another SATA RAID controller
> (3ware).
>
> The 3ware bios comes up first during boot (before the onboard bios),
> the system sees there is no OS on the 3ware RAID and refuses to boot.
>
> I couldn't see in the Award BIOS any setting to force booting from the
> onboard SATA RAID. I think the main problem is that I have two SATA
> controllers, and the one that doesn't have the OS always comes up
> first.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Kiriakos

Ideally, you want the ability to disable one of the two RAID BIOS.
I don't see an option for either product, to do that. (Disabling
the RAID BIOS, should prevent that chip from becoming a boot
option. The chip can still be used for data arrays, after Windows
boots. Disabling the RAID BIOS is not the same as disabling the
chip entirely - that is the only option for the SIL3112 on the
motherboard.)

PCI slot number establishes a priority, with PCI Slot 1 having a
higher priority (boots first) than PCI Slot 5. If you had two
controllers in PCI slots, you can move them around, to change
the boot order. But, there is no guarantee how the motherboard
designer has set up the onboard chips, with respect to the PCI
slots. And, I don't think the address decode of the slots is
documented in the manual. (Perhaps a utility of some sort can
tell you, or a more verbose OS like Linux or Unix will have
this info available.) Even without a utility, you can try the
3Ware in Slot 1 and Slot 5, to see if the motherboard SATA is
mapped somewhere between those two slots.

Maybe you could install the 3ware drivers on your system disk(s),
break the array, and move it to the 3ware ? Do a backup first.

Paul

Why not use Norton Ghost 2003 and just transfer over to the drive(s) on the
2ware RAID?

DAW

mzelden@yahoo.com (Mark) wrote in message news:<87ae2fcc.0406231516.2bd1823@posting.google.com>...
> kg.google@olympiakos.com (Kiriakos Georgiou) wrote in message news:<1f59e260.0406231038.c7c4ab6@posting.google.com>...
> > I have two drives mirrored with the onboard RAID and Windows lives on
> > them. All was well until I installed another SATA RAID controller
> > (3ware).
> >
> > The 3ware bios comes up first during boot (before the onboard bios),
> > the system sees there is no OS on the 3ware RAID and refuses to boot.
> >
> > I couldn't see in the Award BIOS any setting to force booting from the
> > onboard SATA RAID. I think the main problem is that I have two SATA
> > controllers, and the one that doesn't have the OS always comes up
> > first.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Kiriakos
>
> DO you have "boot other devices" enabled?

If I enable that, it fires up 'NVIDIA boot agent', but it sits there
for 15-20 seconds and then fails. Does anybody know about this agent?
can it be configured?

Kiriakos

> In article <1f59e260.0406231038.c7c4ab6@posting.google.com>,
> kg.google@olympiakos.com (Kiriakos Georgiou) wrote:
>
> > I have two drives mirrored with the onboard RAID and Windows lives on
> > them. All was well until I installed another SATA RAID controller
> > (3ware).
> >
> > The 3ware bios comes up first during boot (before the onboard bios),
> > the system sees there is no OS on the 3ware RAID and refuses to boot.
> >
> > I couldn't see in the Award BIOS any setting to force booting from the
> > onboard SATA RAID. I think the main problem is that I have two SATA
> > controllers, and the one that doesn't have the OS always comes up
> > first.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Kiriakos
>
> Ideally, you want the ability to disable one of the two RAID BIOS.
> I don't see an option for either product, to do that. (Disabling
> the RAID BIOS, should prevent that chip from becoming a boot
> option. The chip can still be used for data arrays, after Windows
> boots. Disabling the RAID BIOS is not the same as disabling the
> chip entirely - that is the only option for the SIL3112 on the
> motherboard.)
>
> PCI slot number establishes a priority, with PCI Slot 1 having a
> higher priority (boots first) than PCI Slot 5. If you had two
> controllers in PCI slots, you can move them around, to change
> the boot order. But, there is no guarantee how the motherboard
> designer has set up the onboard chips, with respect to the PCI
> slots. And, I don't think the address decode of the slots is
> documented in the manual. (Perhaps a utility of some sort can
> tell you, or a more verbose OS like Linux or Unix will have
> this info available.) Even without a utility, you can try the
> 3Ware in Slot 1 and Slot 5, to see if the motherboard SATA is
> mapped somewhere between those two slots.
>
> Maybe you could install the 3ware drivers on your system disk(s),
> break the array, and move it to the 3ware ? Do a backup first.
>
> Paul

The latest BIOS 1008 allows a choice between SATA and SCSI which may solve
your problem?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]