CPU Problem??

Ok this is what has been goin on. Ever since i had my
motherboard and my power supply get fried due to a power
surge i have been having problems with my tower. It only
started about a week afer the parts got fried and i put in
the new parts, but basically with out any warning at all
my tower will make a rather disturbing clunking sound and
then just reboot itself. at first it wud reboot and then
just keep rebooting till it was turned off. but now it
will generally reboot just once or twice. I have been told
that it is my processer and that i need to get a new on
but i wanted to see if anyone else knows different or has
any ideas about what it cud be doing it. If u need any
more information about it please email me
4 answers Last reply
More about problem

    A power surge destroyed your old mobo/CPU, but you didn't
    replace the power supply too.

    If you had a power surge everything inside the computer
    could have been damaged, But the power supply would have
    had to fail in part to allow that surge.

    Does the clunking sound indicate a mechanical problem?
    Certainly does, clunks come from movement and the only
    things that move inside the computer are hard drives. Your
    CD/DVD only turn when in use.

    "Andrew" <da_b0rg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Ok this is what has been goin on. Ever since i had my
    | motherboard and my power supply get fried due to a power
    | surge i have been having problems with my tower. It only
    | started about a week afer the parts got fried and i put in
    | the new parts, but basically with out any warning at all
    | my tower will make a rather disturbing clunking sound and
    | then just reboot itself. at first it wud reboot and then
    | just keep rebooting till it was turned off. but now it
    | will generally reboot just once or twice. I have been told
    | that it is my processer and that i need to get a new on
    | but i wanted to see if anyone else knows different or has
    | any ideas about what it cud be doing it. If u need any
    | more information about it please email me

    he's right on you should definately replace the power supply but as far as the rest......

    an electrical device can "clunk" without moving parts, temperature state changes can cause audible noise in any object

    also your power supply unless extremely cheap has a moving part, the fan

    defiantely replace the power supply

    if still clunks,

    go with a new cd rom

    still clunks

    try a new hard drive

    if still clunking after that try new cpu heatsink/fan

    In my defense, the wiper arm of the hard drive is likely to
    clunk if it hits the stop hard, a fan is more likely to make
    a different sound, either a bearing whine or a buzz as the
    blades hit something.

    And you are right that temperature changes can be heard as
    parts expand and contract, I remember fondly listening to
    the roof creak with every 5 degree temp drop below zero F.

    "the dude" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | he's right on you should definately replace the power
    supply but as far as the rest......

    | an electrical device can "clunk" without moving parts,
    temperature state changes can cause audible noise in any
    object

    | also your power supply unless extremely cheap has a moving
    part, the fan

    | defiantely replace the power supply
    |
    | if still clunks,
    |
    | go with a new cd rom
    |
    | still clunks
    |
    | try a new hard drive
    |
    | if still clunking after that try new cpu heatsink/fan

    From information as provided, only wild speculation can be
    provided. For example, what type of surge was it? Examples
    from what else was damaged by the surge would help define that
    necessary information. Is nothing else damaged? Then it was
    no surge. Surges occur typically once every eight years. And
    most are too small to overwhelm existing protection inside
    that power supply.

    Second, power supplies (if not bought on price) contain
    overvoltage protection that, essentially, separates computer
    components from power supply. Surges most often bypass supply
    to damage electronics; don't damage the supply. But those
    'power supplies bought on price' can fail internally (not from
    surges). The failure can then take out the rest of the
    machine because it was bought on price - missing essential
    functions.

    If your machine boots and displays a message on screen, then
    the processor is just fine. Processor is not a reason for
    klunking.

    First collect some facts. Is the power supply and other
    parts of that subsystem working properly? First data taken
    are DC voltages using a 3.5 digit multimeter. In your case,
    voltages on the red, orange, yellow, and gray wires (from
    power supply) are important numerical facts. Only with
    numerical facts can one respond with something more than
    speculation. Get the meter that is today so standard as to be
    sold even in Sears, Radio Shack, Home Depot, and Lowes.

    Andrew wrote:
    > Ok this is what has been goin on. Ever since i had my
    > motherboard and my power supply get fried due to a power
    > surge i have been having problems with my tower. It only
    > started about a week afer the parts got fried and i put in
    > the new parts, but basically with out any warning at all
    > my tower will make a rather disturbing clunking sound and
    > then just reboot itself. at first it wud reboot and then
    > just keep rebooting till it was turned off. but now it
    > will generally reboot just once or twice. I have been told
    > that it is my processer and that i need to get a new on
    > but i wanted to see if anyone else knows different or has
    > any ideas about what it cud be doing it. If u need any
    > more information about it please email me

Windows XP