Deleted files on CDRW disc show up in CD ROM drive

May 20, 2004 8:05:19 AM

Hello everyone,
I have this problem with my CD Rom drive that even the
support guys at Ahead Software describe as "really weird",
and I have to agree with them. (This is a bit lengthy, so
please bear with me. [grin])
(I'm running Windows XP SP1 with all critical updates
installed, and Nero 5.5.10.56, the latest of the 5 series,
and InCD 4.2.4.1, which is the latest version. The good
chaps at Ahead have been very helpful, but appear to be
stumped by this problem.)

1 - If I read a CDRW disk in drive F (CD ROM drive),
displaying the files in Explorer,
2 - then insert it into drive G (CD burner drive) and
delete a file
3 - then re insert it into drive F, the file is still
displayed there (even if I refresh with F5)
4 - then insert another CD into drive F
5 - then insert the original CDRW into drive F, the disk
is read correctly, IE: the deleted file is not displayed.

Has anyone struck this problem, and if so, what did you do
to fix it?

Thanks for your help,
Roger Valmadre
rogervATmrbeanDOTnetDOTau

(sorry about that pathetic attempt at spam avoidance!
[grin])
May 20, 2004 4:43:06 PM

Not a solution I'm afraid, but some more info that (might) help...

I get a similar effect in my Win2000 installation.
If I delete a directory from the LH panel in File Explorer, it doesn't go
away (even if I press F5). I get an error if I try to open that directory
though. I have to close the File Explorer window and re-open to see that
directory has gone.

If I delete the directory from the RH panel, it vanishes as it should.

My guess is the File Explorer somehow 'caches' the file list, and is not
refreshing when it should...

What happens if you try and open/read one of these 'ghost' files?

ChrisM

"Roger Valmadre" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
> I have this problem with my CD Rom drive that even the
> support guys at Ahead Software describe as "really weird",
> and I have to agree with them. (This is a bit lengthy, so
> please bear with me. [grin])
> (I'm running Windows XP SP1 with all critical updates
> installed, and Nero 5.5.10.56, the latest of the 5 series,
> and InCD 4.2.4.1, which is the latest version. The good
> chaps at Ahead have been very helpful, but appear to be
> stumped by this problem.)
>
> 1 - If I read a CDRW disk in drive F (CD ROM drive),
> displaying the files in Explorer,
> 2 - then insert it into drive G (CD burner drive) and
> delete a file
> 3 - then re insert it into drive F, the file is still
> displayed there (even if I refresh with F5)
> 4 - then insert another CD into drive F
> 5 - then insert the original CDRW into drive F, the disk
> is read correctly, IE: the deleted file is not displayed.
>
> Has anyone struck this problem, and if so, what did you do
> to fix it?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Roger Valmadre
> rogervATmrbeanDOTnetDOTau
>
> (sorry about that pathetic attempt at spam avoidance!
> [grin])
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:43:07 PM

the cd rom is being re-detected as the same one as previously inserted, the directory structure is not being refreshed as it is just being re-displayed from the previous insertions reading. if you put in another cd however it shows up with a different name and it gets refreshed properly. stick back in the older cd and it's now a different cd so it finally gets refreshed with the current directory structure.

there should be a setting for this but i am currently at work and don't have the resources/permissions to go delving into it.

try looking into the cd-rom properties in the device manager and play with the auto insert notification settings to see what efect these have

and possibly do a google search for combinations of "cd insert directory refresh xp" etc....
May 21, 2004 6:40:16 PM

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply.
When I try to open one of the "ghost files", say, a text
file, I can actually read it. This makes it sound a little
strange, doesn't it? Almost as if the erasure of the file
isn't recognised. (What ever form the erasure really
takes, as I'm sure the file info itself doesn't get wiped
completely, as in a FAT system).
Still, I'm sure "the truth is out there" somewhere. I
can't be the only one to have had this odd problem! [grin]

Roger.

wrote in message
>> Hello everyone,
>> I have this problem with my CD Rom drive that even the
>> support guys at Ahead Software describe as "really
weird",
>> and I have to agree with them. (This is a bit lengthy,
so
>> please bear with me. [grin])
>> (I'm running Windows XP SP1 with all critical updates
>> installed, and Nero 5.5.10.56, the latest of the 5
series,
>> and InCD 4.2.4.1, which is the latest version. The good
>> chaps at Ahead have been very helpful, but appear to be
>> stumped by this problem.)
>>
>> 1 - If I read a CDRW disk in drive F (CD ROM drive),
>> displaying the files in Explorer,
>> 2 - then insert it into drive G (CD burner drive) and
>> delete a file
>> 3 - then re insert it into drive F, the file is still
>> displayed there (even if I refresh with F5)
>> 4 - then insert another CD into drive F
>> 5 - then insert the original CDRW into drive F, the disk
>> is read correctly, IE: the deleted file is not
displayed.

>> Has anyone struck this problem, and if so, what did you
do
>> to fix it?
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> Roger Valmadre
>> rogervATmrbeanDOTnetDOTau
>>
>> (sorry about that pathetic attempt at spam avoidance!
>> [grin])
>

>.

Anonymous
May 22, 2004 5:33:53 PM

Thanks for that, I'll give those suggestions a try.

Roger

!