burning cd s in safe mode

my hard drive is on the verge of failing and i have some
information i need to back up but i cant get the cd-rom
to burn a cd. the files are quite big, so floppy is not
an option and i dont have any external options. please
help if possible. how can i enable cd copying in safe
mode as a back up option? thanks a lot, cbb
3 answers Last reply
More about burning safe mode

    Yeah it is possible to do...burn in safe mode that is.
    Just a quickie registry change is all.

    Log onto XP as either the Admin or in an admin account.

    Start\Run\REGEDIT

    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot
    Right click and EXPORT Minimal (safety first)
    Expand Minimal
    Right click Minimal, choose NEW, then KEY
    Type in ImapiService as the name (case sensitive)
    With the new key highlighted, the right hand pane should
    show only the
    value
    Double click Default and change the value to Service
    (Again, case sensitive)
    Close REGEDIT

    That's all there is to it...burn away, but would replace
    that drive asap:)

    Remove your old drive NOW, purchase a new hard drive and do a clean install
    of XP onto it.. refit the old drive as a slave to the new one, which will
    give you time to copy your important info over.. using it as a slave will
    not put the same load on it as it would being the 'system' drive'..

    "keirinbike at yahoo.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:faa201c43e60$13b77830$a001280a@phx.gbl...
    > my hard drive is on the verge of failing and i have some
    > information i need to back up but i cant get the cd-rom
    > to burn a cd. the files are quite big, so floppy is not
    > an option and i dont have any external options. please
    > help if possible. how can i enable cd copying in safe
    > mode as a back up option? thanks a lot, cbb

    thanks so much for the info, but one more question from a
    semi beginner. how do i slave the old safe mode only
    bootable drive as a slave drive. should i just plug them
    both in and boot up or what? sorry, but have no idea.
    thanks again for your time. court

Safe Mode Burner CD-Rom Windows XP